Home

Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

This is a discussion on Forced 3 step drop? What is this? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #225
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Forced 3 step drop? What is this?

I have a problem with QBs having to take a least a three step drop on every single pass play. There are plays that call for a one step drop, and QBs should be allowed to take a one step drop on those plays only. For every other play, forcing the QB to at least take a three step drop, is perfectly fine.

A Quarterback can't really break off of a three step drop, as it only takes a second to complete;if a defender breaks through the line, QBs(in reality) usually can't avoid the sack anyway. Quarterbacks can break off of five and seven steps drops as they take a little longer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #226
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
I have a problem with QBs having to take a least a three step drop on every single pass play. There are plays that call for a one step drop, and QBs should be allowed to take a one step drop on those plays only. For every other play, forcing the QB to at least take a three step drop, is perfectly fine.

A Quarterback can't really break off of a three step drop, as it only takes a second to complete;if a defender breaks through the line, QBs(in reality) usually can't avoid the sack anyway. Quarterbacks can break off of five and seven steps drops as they take a little longer.
Exactly, the only time a QB takes 1 step is on plays that call for it. I would assume if they implement a forced drop they would accomadate such plays with a 1 step drop.

The first 3 steps should be forced and longer drops should and probably will be breakable.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #227
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Here's how I feel it should be done.
If a player wishes to take a controlled drop from center, he should be able to do so by holding down as the ball is snapped and taking control immediately- but this should not be a standard crossover dropback, it should be a back peddle (think old school Warren Moon). This allows the player the control to drop back to the point he wishes and break it off at any point, but the drop is significantly slower and requires to the player to set and shift footing to throwing.
I hope you suggested this to Ian.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #228
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
I hope you suggested this to Ian.
No, I hadn't thought about it until now.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #229
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
Oh, I see. Got cha.

Oh yea, I totally agree. Absolutely.

No NO NO!

Agreement is not sim! This argument is too much fun to read for y'all to just up and make nice
Old 04-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #230
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

"Realistic consequences" is a concept that sports game developers seem to be very reluctant to go "all the way" with. They never want to do too much to ruin the potential "fun factor" of a game, so they allow a lot of User control, but then also hold the Users hand-under the hood-so as to prevent them from feeling totally incompetent when they make poor decision after poor decision.

Let the User do what he wants, but also let him feel the full weight of his freedom, e.g., passes in the dirt, throws that get WR's laid out over the middle, FUBARed blocking schemes, etc,.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #231
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
...bro, I don't even know what to say to that...
Long-strider=taking too big of a step when throwing the ball. Rex Grossman is a good example. Taking a long stride reduces the ability to have a repeatable throwing motion and increases the chance that the elbow of the throwing arm will drop, causing the ball to either fall short or most often sail high. This is what a long-strider is, it has nothing to do with the drop. Yes, having a good drop is a learned skill and some qb's are better are better at it than others, again, long-striding is completely unrelated. Perhaps surprisingly, the difference between good drops and poor ones at the professional level have more to do with the upper body than the lower, but the feet are a factor. They're more of a factor in the actual delivery of the ball however. And for the record, having too shallow of a drop is a much more common fault than being too deep.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #232
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
Long-strider=taking too big of a step when throwing the ball. Rex Grossman is a good example. Taking a long stride reduces the ability to have a repeatable throwing motion and increases the chance that the elbow of the throwing arm will drop, causing the ball to either fall short or most often sail high. This is what a long-strider is, it has nothing to do with the drop. Yes, having a good drop is a learned skill and some qb's are better are better at it than others, again, long-striding is completely unrelated. Perhaps surprisingly, the difference between good drops and poor ones at the professional level have more to do with the upper body than the lower, but the feet are a factor. They're more of a factor in the actual delivery of the ball however. And for the record, having too shallow of a drop is a much more common fault than being too deep.

Why are you talking about throwing mechanics? We were only talking about the drop steps. Having a long stride during the drop back has a bad impact on the drop. I'm not talking about the throw (Although, I agree if the feet are too far apart the ball will sail high, and lose velocity).

Your really confusing me with your comment about the upper body having more to do with the difference between good drops and bad ones. This is completely opposite of everything I've have ever heard.

Everything starts with the base, if you have a good base (particularly footwork, balance, and weight transfer) your most of the way home if you can be consistant...but I don't want to argue with you about Quarterbacking 101. Its more than one way to skin a cat, and I'm sure you have plenty of good reasons for saying what you said.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »