Home

CONFIRMED: Devensive assist in M10

This is a discussion on CONFIRMED: Devensive assist in M10 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: CONFIRMED: Devensive assist in M10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
I've been thinking about this today and here's my question. The guys that aren't liking it, why is it such a problem? The games balance won't be altered as you have the same tool available to you. It seems that the major rub is that you wont have the advantage that your superior sticks provided. I understand the argument that this is a videogame played with a controller. So sticks should matter. But this is also a NFL simulation. So if they put in controls that make the game flow and behave more like the real deal, what's the prob? My point about the Fifa controls was that the worked very effectively and realistically to control what could otherwise be a high scoring stick-fest, as opposed to a realistic version of soccer, an inherently low scoring game.

Football isn't played in the 40 or 50's for scoring. But that's what a lot of the stick guys come up with as finals. The game should have enough defensive balance where someone who has decent sticks shouldn't lose to someone who is the stick master with the perfect nano call and the funky DB's as WR's or use direct snaps and other glitches to win. Drives should take thought and work, as well as time. And the game should have a balanced D that can make you have to eat up yards in small chunks and actually have to punt!

For everything that Ian is trying to do to have a bonafied NFL sim, I say hooray! Truth is that Madden hasn't looked or played like real football, ever. Certain games like 05 were really good, but lacked things like real pockets and blocking. All of this is coming together. And that's why I trust that a feature like this will be added and tuned to get a more authentic feel out of the game. I say good riddance to the jetpacker or guys who can turn unrealistically. Goodbye "Madden" football and hello NFL football!

Well if they are going add user assist for defenders they should add it to all positions cause the same thing occurs at switching to any player. It's not fair to give a user controlled defender an edge over a user controlled wr. So there you have it, a user assisted madden.

It is only fair, you can't argue that, if two players on opposing teams switch to wr and defensive back at the same time, the player controlling the defensive back is going to get an advantage because of the computer assitance, How is that making the game fair or balanced. If you have it for defensive back, it must be added to wr and other offensive positions to balance it out.

Last edited by maddenps2; 04-30-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #74
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
Well if they are going add user assist for defenders they should add it to all positions cause the same thing occurs at switching to any player. It's not fair to give a user controlled defender an edge over a user controlled wr. So there you have it, a user assisted madden.

It is only fair, you can't argue that, if two players on opposing teams switch to wr and defensive back at the same time, the player controlling the defensive back is going to get an advantage because of the computer assitance, How is that making the game fair or balanced. If you have it for defensive back, it must be added to wr and other offensive positions to balance it out.
That makes no sense cause the last time I checked, if you switch to a WR and DON'T move the sticks then the WR will continue to be CPU controlled.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #75
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
That makes no sense cause the last time I checked, if you switch to a WR and DON'T move the sticks then the WR will continue to be CPU controlled.
I'm pretty sure that If you don't press a button when being any position the computer will still control the player.

AND EVEN if that isn't/wasn't the case, as soon as the user takes control of the wr the defender would still have an unfair advantage with the assistance, because the so called delay would still occur at the time upon switching to user control the receiver.

Last edited by maddenps2; 04-30-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #76
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenps2
Well if they are going add user assist for defenders they should add it to all positions cause the same thing occurs at switching to any player. It's not fair to give a user controlled defender an edge over a user controlled wr.
Why would you be using a user WR unless it was at the time of the catch? Don't you play QB and then switch? Your losing me. D assist will have the guy close, if his ratings permit it. He's still gonna have to make the tackle or hit-stick while you're trying to make the catch. Trust me, if they tune it like they did in Fifa, it's not that overpowering. Like AJ said, your ratings come into play. And in Fifa you can over run the play. They should have it that way in Madden. I would hope they don't have it into an auto attack kind of thing. It's just a help to get you in the right direction. And the ratings determine how well you can get there. But stick skills or not, you shouldn't have a 10 yard cushion in any type of football game. Just like how the "conga line" pursuit wasn't realistic. This will put more of a emphasis on good playcalling to get the space you need, as opposed to sticks skills. That's how they do it for real. Calling the play action agianst the 8 man front, etc. Lotta cheese is gonna die. And guys will have to rely more on brains than sticks. I like that. Just can't wait until the locomotion gets to Fifa level. This game will be even more sim. Stick skills will matter, but it'll be about small properly timed movements instead of how Madden plays now. I want the "fight for every yard" to be the level this game goes to next year, where it's about gettting 3 yards consistently and getting the big play because you called it against the proper D. That's kinda what you want, too. Fix the stuff that doesn't move right....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 04-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #77
Pro

Guys, defensive assist is already in the game...........the difference is that this is a upgrade to it not an add on to the game.

*Actual time may vary.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #78
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
I've been thinking about this today and here's my question. The guys that aren't liking it, why is it such a problem? The games balance won't be altered as you have the same tool available to you. It seems that the major rub is that you wont have the advantage that your superior sticks provided. I understand the argument that this is a videogame played with a controller. So sticks should matter. But this is also a NFL simulation. So if they put in controls that make the game flow and behave more like the real deal, what's the prob? My point about the Fifa controls was that the worked very effectively and realistically to control what could otherwise be a high scoring stick-fest, as opposed to a realistic version of soccer, an inherently low scoring game.

Football isn't played in the 40 or 50's for scoring. But that's what a lot of the stick guys come up with as finals. The game should have enough defensive balance where someone who has decent sticks shouldn't lose to someone who is the stick master with the perfect nano call and the funky DB's as WR's or use direct snaps and other glitches to win. Drives should take thought and work, as well as time. And the game should have a balanced D that can make you have to eat up yards in small chunks and actually have to punt!

For everything that Ian is trying to do to have a bonafied NFL sim, I say hooray! Truth is that Madden hasn't looked or played like real football, ever. Certain games like 05 were really good, but lacked things like real pockets and blocking. All of this is coming together. And that's why I trust that a feature like this will be added and tuned to get a more authentic feel out of the game. I say good riddance to the jetpacker or guys who can turn unrealistically. Goodbye "Madden" football and hello NFL football!
good post Sir. I honestly don't like a lot of this cpu assist stuff myself, but I'm all for more of a simulation of football. I just hope they get it right.

I personally don't hate Madden 09 as much as a lot of people here seem to do. If you take out fb dive and rocket catching the gameplay is actually halfway decent.

I do think everyone goes extreme one way or the other in these debates when in reality no one is knows if it's going to work until the masses have the game and time to find the exploits (I just hope it's not too bad).
Old 04-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #79
Banned

OVR: 7

look at all you scrubs afraid of adaptive ai. maybe because yall the type of players that has like 5 plays you run the entire game. but even if the human cant pick the correct play to stop it, atleast the individual players themselfs aint dumb enough to fall for it over an over.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #80
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_larry
look at all you scrubs afraid of adaptive ai. maybe because yall the type of players that has like 5 plays you run the entire game. but even if the human cant pick the correct play to stop it, atleast the individual players themselfs aint dumb enough to fall for it over an over.
lol, if a human cant pick the right defense to stop a play it makes the guy picking that same play over and over the scrub? I think it's the other way around. Unless your talking about broken cheesy plays (which is what should be fixed).

I'm all for sim football but I still think it's up to the human to put players in position to make the play. If I'm playing a human who refuses to adjust I will run the same play or similar plays until he stops it, and I dont find it cheesy at all. It's called common sense.

There's a difference between cheesy plays on 09 (fb dives, curls, screens), and legit plays. I play games where I run over 20 different plays and others where I run less than 10. I just adapt to what my opponent does on defense and I dont resort to the cheese.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »