Home

UH OH this pic has me worried :(

This is a discussion on UH OH this pic has me worried :( within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: UH OH this pic has me worried :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
The reason he's leaning forward in the second pic is because he was beat badly on that play. If you're only back a step or two like in the Madden screen shot you want to jump vertically. Leaning forward would get you a pass interference because you'd be knocking the guy over...

Please guys wait until you see some video footage to get concerned about this. I don't want Ian to have to change this and make it impossible for CBs to make a play without turning around because that would COMPLETELY ruin the game.

You guys are overreacting a bit. EVERY CB in man attempts to make a play without turning. THAT is real football!
The difference in madden is they jump straight up vertically from a full sprint. Look at those two pics one of them looks almost like the one Ian posted from the "random" shot. In the Steelers pic he is beet badly also BUT he just jumps straight up and knocks the ball down with the wrong hand. Again look at those two pics of Harris look how they have the correct hand trying to knock the ball down!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #66
Rookie

4solo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYyankz225
The reason he's leaning forward in the second pic is because he was beat badly on that play. If you're only back a step or two like in the Madden screen shot you want to jump vertically. Leaning forward would get you a pass interference because you'd be knocking the guy over...

Please guys wait until you see some video footage to get concerned about this. I don't want Ian to have to change this and make it impossible for CBs to make a play without turning around because that would COMPLETELY ruin the game.

You guys are overreacting a bit. EVERY CB in man attempts to make a play without turning. THAT is real football!
No that is not real football. The main prob with the second screenshot is that the DB back is turned to the ball and the LOS which is improper technique and would make it almost near to impossible to locate the ball. In real life when the ball is in the air the DB back would turn towards the WR(not toward the LOS or not Facing the LOS) to "squeeze" the receiver and locate the ball. Meaning to cut the space between him and the WR which is showed pefectly in the first screenshot. (and this is strictly man coverage i'm talking about b/c in zone ideal would be to face the LOS) Now where this animation in the second pick would take place would be jump ball situation but still the DB back would be turned towards the WR and have his back turned away from the ball. Kinda like getting position to grab a rebound in basketball. Like in this pic....

But the animation in the second screenshot could be used if someone was beaten badly trying to make a play but the dif would be that the DB would not be looking back at the ball and his hands would be going toward the the WR hands. The first thing u are taught as DB is if u are beat keep running and don't look back for the ball,( b/c if u look back it will slow u down and u don't want to slow down if u are beat) play to the receiver hands so you can break up the play b/c that where the ball is suppose to end up. Like these pics...

notice Db's playing to WR hands

And the last thing that is wrong with the second screenshot and that was wrong with the animation in 09 is that the majority of the time the WR didn't jump for the ball with the DB which did give the DB an unfair advantage. Also the QB's would underthrow the receivers on deep ball leading to these "jordan jumps" being more successful since the WR would keep running like he didn't see the ball was underthrown.

Last edited by 4solo; 05-02-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #67
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
Ok look at the 2 screen shots here. One is from the one Ian posted a little while ago from the "Random madden screen shot" the other is one I found on IGN Madden 10 pics. The thing that worries me is the one with number 24 from Pit look at the way he is attempting to knock down the ball very Madden 00-09 like aka very "un-real" he has Jordan hops wrong hand up and there is no way a human can make a play like this.... running full speed with then jumping straight up in the air and knocking the ball down. What would happen is what the "random" shot shows the DB would lose his balance fall forward. That is one thing that Madden has always gotten wrong the Dbs always put there WRONG HAND up to knock the ball down.

Please tell me its not to late to remove this animation from the game. And if I made it sound confusing and if anyone has any questions about what i am talking about please ask and i will try to explain better!
Ya I caught this when it first came out the one with Ryan Clark(I think its Clark) then I thought maybe it is the angle, maybe he isn't up as high as it seems I mean the bottom of his feet are just above Fitz's knees. The arm might not be wrong, it depends on how much further down the field the ball was going to go, I don't think this is a pic to worry about he isn't unrealistically high, I am pretty sure the avg. CB can jump 32-35 inches off the ground and maybe Clark can jump higher than the average corner. Fitz is roughly 75 inches tall so his keens are probably around 30-34 inches from the ground...ot too unrealistic,just the angle, IMO

Currently Playing: Mortal Kombat & Portal 2
Old 05-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4solo
No that is not real football. The main prob with the second screenshot is that the DB back is turned to the ball and the LOS which is improper technique and would make it almost near to impossible to locate the ball. In real life when the ball is in the air the DB back would turn towards the WR(not toward the LOS or not Facing the LOS) to "squeeze" the receiver and locate the ball. Meaning to cut the space between him and the WR which is showed pefectly in the first screenshot. (and this is strictly man coverage i'm talking about b/c in zone ideal would be to face the LOS) Now where this animation in the second pick would take place would be jump ball situation but still the DB back would be turned towards the WR and have his back turned away from the ball. Kinda like getting position to grab a rebound in basketball. Like in this pic....

But the animation in the second screenshot could be used if someone was beaten badly trying to make a play but the dif would be that the DB would not be looking back at the ball and his hands would be going toward the the WR hands. The first thing u are taught as DB is if u are beat keep running and don't look back for the ball,( b/c if u look back it will slow u down and u don't want to slow down if u are beat) play to the receiver hands so you can break up the play b/c that where the ball is suppose to end up. Like these pics...

notice Db's playing to WR hands

And the last thing that is wrong with the second screenshot and that was wrong with the animation in 09 is that the majority of the time the WR didn't jump for the ball with the DB which did give the DB an unfair advantage. Also the QB's would underthrow the receivers on deep ball leading to these "jordan jumps" being more successful since the WR would keep running like he didn't see the ball was underthrown.
Well said.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #69
MVP

Sorry guys anyway you slice it that pic is wrong man! Even in a standstill jump like someone said his back would be towards the rec not the QB. I am not asking for perfection just to make it like 2k5!!!!! I kid I kid But seriously we are so close to having the "sim" game we want and stuff like this will hold it back, along with the flipping of the Dline and such.

Ian

Please give us an update!
Old 05-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #70
Rookie

4solo's Arena

Bump
Old 05-03-2009, 12:54 AM   #71
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
Sorry guys anyway you slice it that pic is wrong man! Even in a standstill jump like someone said his back would be towards the rec not the QB. I am not asking for perfection just to make it like 2k5!!!!! I kid I kid But seriously we are so close to having the "sim" game we want and stuff like this will hold it back, along with the flipping of the Dline and such.

Ian

Please give us an update!
There's no update other than me forwarding this on to the gameplay team. I appreciate the thread...good call.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #72
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Ian, can you give me Colt Brennan's rating along with accuracy and power? You're a nice guy, you don't want to ruin that rep do ya? = p

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »