Home

Hmm will I finally feel like i'm Peyton Manning this year?

This is a discussion on Hmm will I finally feel like i'm Peyton Manning this year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #41
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Hmm will I finally feel like i'm Peyton Manning this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
They already play behind average (at best) offensive lines and the Cleveland line would actually be an upgrade for both of these guys. I am actually quite glad the Patriots line was exposed last year as being the mediocre group it truly is. They exectute well as a group but they are nothing special.
A quick release and short passing schemes can overcome shoddy pass protection. There is little that will overcome WRs who don't get open or catch the ball. I'd love to see Manning deal with Braylon "brick hands" Edwards. He'd be a whole different player. Know that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 38

Manning to Edwards would be a dutty combo
Old 05-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
A quick release and short passing schemes can overcome shoddy pass protection. There is little that will overcome WRs who don't get open or catch the ball. I'd love to see Manning deal with Braylon "brick hands" Edwards. He'd be a whole different player. Know that.
No, these 2 qbs are able to process information (under pressure no less) quicker than almost any other qb and hit their receivers in stride and where they can run after the catch. A quick release can't overcome shoddy pass protection if you can't decipher coverages at lightning quick speed and find a quiet spot to deliver the ball. And no, not all qbs can read coverages quickly. Look at all the retreads, has beens, and loser qbs that have failed.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrady
No, these 2 qbs are able to process information (under pressure no less) quicker than almost any other qb and hit their receivers in stride and where they can run after the catch. A quick release can't overcome shoddy pass protection if you can't decipher coverages at lightning quick speed and find a quiet spot to deliver the ball. And no, not all qbs can read coverages quickly. Look at all the retreads, has beens, and loser qbs that have failed.
**COUGH** J.P Losman **COUGH**
Old 05-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Manning + Brady = Overrated system QBs.
You're kidding, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #46
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
You're kidding, right?
No, I am not kidding.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #47
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Manning + Brady = Overrated system QBs.

Gods? Laughable. Gods don't throw the ball out of bounds or slide because they're afraid to get hit.
Okay, it's obviously time for QB's 101:

System QB: a quarterback that has an above average to excellent understanding of one coach's offense, and/or benefits from having an exceptional revceiving corp and/or a outstanding OLine, but lacks a universal understanding of any offenses, and/or the physical/mental skills necessary to thrive in multiple offensive styles.

System QB's: Daunte Cullpepper, Jon Kitna, Trent Greene, Marc Bulger

Quote:
They can all "read defenses" and they all make mistakes. The whole "reading defenses" hype is just media relations, it has nothing to do with what's going on in the game.

Manning is ACCURATE, and that's what makes him good.
Top Tier/Elite QB: a quarterback that has at least a basic understanding of any offense, and/or uses his own physical/mental skills to thrive in any offense, despite the skill of the OLine/WR's, or lack thereof.

Top Tier/Elite QB's: Joe Montana, Rich Gannon, Drew Breese, Matt Hasselbeck, Jeff Garcia, Warren Moon, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brett Farve

Quote:
I'm not blaming them for taking advantage of the NFL's silly pass-happy rules. I'm just saying that they are not the "great athletes" that everyone makes them out to be.

If NFL defenses didn't play with their hands tied behind their backs, most pocket passers would not survive in the NFL. Period.

And I agree: in a system QB league like the NFL, it should be no surprise that Brady and Manning are the best. They take full advantage of the unfair rules, and exploit every loophole. Kudos to them. They are the two prettiest girls in the Army.

But they are NOT great athletes.
Quote:
This is my entire point. The NFL has made the rules so unfair to defenses that a QB need only stand and throw. Everyone else on the field must be a world class athlete, but the QB can basically be a poker player in pads.

It's sad to see the game's toughness evaporate on offense. But don't think I'm just picking on QBs. Today's WRs are every bit as soft.
Okay, it's obvious that you are stuck in time; this ain't twenty years ago. Last year, the Seattle Seahawks lost the majority of their offense to season-ending knee injuries, esp. their receiving corps. Tom Brady went down with a season-ending knee injury. Trent Greene's career basically ended with a concussion. Same for Daunte's knee. Back then, players could play with no inhibitions, and have no remorse about it. But, now, there has to be some saftey precautions. Sure, some of the rules are babying players, but we can't have a bunch of guys on the field laying in agony just because the defense wants to take a guy out (and, believe me, they do play with that mentality).

Quote:
You can have an accurate QB with semi-decent receivers and have a successful offense...just look at Seattle, or the Patriots pre-Moss and Welker? They had mediocre receiving corps, but had accurate passers...and Seattle went to a superbowl, and the Pats won a few...accuracy can offset some WR inadequacies...but they do need to catch the ball for a QB to put up numbers...
Quote:
I agree. But those offenses did NOT produce huge numbers either. Having great stats and being a winner are two different things.
What are you talking about?! The Seahawks had the top ranked offense for the majority of that year. The Patriots set records with those offenses. He put together comeback drives in the Super Bowl twice with those offenses...

Last edited by jWILL253; 05-20-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #48

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL10
Okay, it's obviously time for QB's 101:

System QB: a quarterback that has an above average to excellent understanding of one coach's offense, and/or benefits from having an exceptional revceiving corp and/or a outstanding OLine, but lacks a universal understanding of any offenses, and/or the physical/mental skills necessary to thrive in multiple offensive styles.

System QB's: Daunte Cullpepper, Jon Kitna, Trent Greene, Marc Bulger

Top Tier/Elite QB: a quarterback that has at least a basic understanding of any offense, and/or uses his own physical/mental skill to thrive in any offense, despiet the skill of the OLine/WR's, or lack thereof.

Top Tier/Elite QB's: Joe Montana, Rich Gannon, Drew Breese, Matt Hasselbeck, Jeff Garcia, Warren Moon, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Brett Farve

Okay, it's obvious that you are stuck in time; this ain't twenty years ago. Last year, the Seattle Seahawks lost the majority of their offense to season-ending knee injuries, esp. their receiving corps. Tom Brady went down with a season-ending knee injury. Trent Greene's career basically ended with a concussion. Same for Daunte's knee. Back then, players could play with no inhibitions, and have no remorse about it. But, now, there has to be some saftey precautions. Sure, some of the rules are babying players, but we can't have a bunch of guys on the field laying in agony just because the defense wants to take a guy out (and, believe me, they do play with that mentality).

What are you talking about?! The Seahawks had the top ranked offense for the majority of that year. The Patriots set records with those offenses. He put together comeback drives in the Super Bowl twice with those offenses...
Nice breakdown.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »