Home

Little worried about the increase in bad throws.

This is a discussion on Little worried about the increase in bad throws. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #33
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Little worried about the increase in bad throws.

Well from the videos I have saw so far. I don't see no problem with throwing this year. I have seen alot more miss throws and stuff like that. I think this year according to what kind of rating each QB has will tell how good he his at throwing the ball with accurcy and throwing and all that.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 4

They should add actual qb misthrows like Donovan throwing it at his receivers feet on those crossing routes, or Carson Palmer throwing it over the running backs head on a pass to the flats. But more seriously, something i'd like to see every now and then is:

Making precision passing affect the missed throws. If you have really bad accuracy and you push up to throw on a cross route, then the odds would be higher of you overthrowing him would could result in a safety in zone for example, getting an easy pick. Or even on curl routes, it seems a lot of people push up, so for that you can have it be more likely for the pass to go over his head. If you press down theres a better chance it'll be short armed and he might catch it off a bounce at his feet. Basically making it like real life. Obviously i think at first it'd result in a lot more picks and lower completion percentages but once people learn the system and how things work, it'll make us all better virtual quarterbacks and really balance out offense and defense more.

I know they've obviously made misfires more of a deal, and who knows maybe they balanced it out nice, but i have a feeling they'll still be really accurate in general to appease the casual gamers.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack
I thought I had read some impressions where people said there were times where the QB even had his feet planted and no pressure and the ball went sailing off target. I think I've also seen some general comments where people are happy there are 'more bad throws this year'.

It's possible these 'bad throws' mainly affect QBs with lower ratings.

I'd still like something similar to 'Maximum Passing' implemented and just have the ratings affect the sensitivity of the user pass placement.
Wow .. so now it becomes even more REALISTIC and people are STILL complaining ..

2009/2010 Season
49ers Record: 0-0-0

PSN ID: PDubNiner and Token420
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #36
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Wolfpack and 18manning18 both had great points. Just because Vision Cone was an unmitigated failure does not mean that EA should avoid ALL efforts to make QB's perform differently.

Realism should refer to the results of the gameplay, not to the actual control inputs. EA's approach to making things "more realistic" is to mimic actual things that happen in real life, and try to add them as another layer of gameplay. But from a gamer's perspective, all something like vision cone does make it more complicated and time-consuming to execute something that should be very simple for an NFL QB--throwing a ball with some degree of accuracy.

Passing in Madden already requires you to drop back and read a defense before making a decision. This is the same thing an NFL QB does. Once you know where to throw the ball, the act of doing so is not complicated...it's almost like pushing a button! But the success rate of that act was too high in recent Madden games, and that's what needs to be fixed.

Peyton Manning never accidentally looked to the right side of the field while throwing to the left side, but that is in essence what Vision Cone was implying when you screwed up. But there are plenty of times where Peyton Manning fully intended to hit a receiver on the sidelines, but was too high with his throw, or missed his receiver somehow.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #37
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

QB Accuracy Slider? Does this not solve the issue? Boost it to 100 and those in favor should be able to go 20/20 with their QB.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed O'Neil
Wow .. so now it becomes even more REALISTIC and people are STILL complaining ..
Yeah man everyone is in favor of realism until they get their a$$ kicked, then they want that arcade game back
Old 06-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints21
MAN I PLAY QB

and it exactly like you said, its called muscle memmory.. but guess what!! sometimes your brain missfires and you dont do exactly the same thing!!

Basketball players miss FT right?? WHICH THEY SHOULD NOT on account they have practice it a million times!!!!

The brain is a funny thing!!
Bingo...and that's the kind of thing where ratings come in. Those are our only way of differentiating one player from another in a video game. If there was a passing system where, if you executed the controller movement perfectly every pass was right on target, ratings would not mean squat. That's why they're there - to simulate the physical and mental differences between each player.

I'm very familiar with the argument though - Some people who complain about the Show being too CPU-driven (scripted), complain about this very same thing. Like Sky said upthread, developers can't win for losing.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack
I thought I had read some impressions where people said there were times where the QB even had his feet planted and no pressure and the ball went sailing off target.
I guess you never seen Rex Grossman or Tarvaris Jackson toss the rock then? lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »