Home

I've been thinking and. . . Real-Time atmosphere needs to be in.

This is a discussion on I've been thinking and. . . Real-Time atmosphere needs to be in. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: I've been thinking and. . . Real-Time atmosphere needs to be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Play MLB 2k9 much?
Oh no, I am a show fan boy. 2K crap is garbage I just used the real-tine atmosphere for people to get more where I was coming from. I dont think this will be the greatest either Gameplay is top but i do think it needs to be in,

Suscribe on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/GleezyBaby43
Gleezybaby43
Old 07-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 8

There is one thing along these lines that I think should be in every football game. The only game I remember it being in was NCAA around '99 or 2000 and it caused some freeze up problems.

Anyway, that one thing is personnel substitutions for packages: when you change from a basic 2 back set to a 3-wide set you see your FB trot off the field and an extra wide receiver trot on. Same goes for defense (out goes the LB, in comes the nickel back).

This is something that has an actual practical effect on football in real life (it effects time management in particular). It also would add realism to the environment. And guess what, if you see it on Sunday it should be in Madden (as Ian says).
Old 07-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

You know what I've always wanted to be better in NFL games? How about dynamic commentary/stat overlays? I'd love it if I was in week 14, and my running back had 1,700 yards and the commentary zeroed in on it during the game. They could show a stat pop up with my biggest gains throughout the year, and focus on my player possibly breaking the record during the season etc. You could also do the same for your team. Like, lets say you won a hard fought divisional contest. The next game, while the players on warming up we could hear about it and have the commentators talk about them possibly being low on gas etc.

I'd like to see something like this happen with game/season/career records. NFL2k5 touched on it, but it was never fleshed all the way out and I think it would add such an amazing amount of immersion to the game. It would make it feel 10 times less synthetic imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

i'd love to see some real time weather action.
For example..

It would be cool to see the sun, clouds and shadows shift positions as the game go on.. or see the sun go behind some clouds for a few minutes, then re emerge, and cast the shadows again.
Or watch the sun go down, and the moon rise during a game also.

Or have some sun showers move through, have it pour down rain for a few minutes, then clear up and then be bright and sunny.

It would be nice to be able to feel high winds somehow also.. ball blowing off the tee maybe, or some papers blowing through the field every once in a while during a real windy game. Hats blowing off refs maybe.

Some realtime lightning in the sky also maybe.

just some thoughts..
Old 07-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
For example..

It would be cool to see the sun, clouds and shadows shift positions as the game go on.. or see the sun go behind some clouds for a few minutes, then re emerge, and cast the shadows again.

Or have some sun showers move through, have it pour down rain for a few minutes, then clear up and then be bright and sunny.

It would be nice to be able to feel high winds somehow also.. ball blowing off the tee maybe, or some papers blowing through the field every once in a while during a real windy game. Hats blowing off refs maybe.

just some thoughts..
Yes

― Plato
Old 07-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
MVP

King Gro23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintari
You know what I've always wanted to be better in NFL games? How about dynamic commentary/stat overlays? I'd love it if I was in week 14, and my running back had 1,700 yards and the commentary zeroed in on it during the game. They could show a stat pop up with my biggest gains throughout the year, and focus on my player possibly breaking the record during the season etc. You could also do the same for your team. Like, lets say you won a hard fought divisional contest. The next game, while the players on warming up we could hear about it and have the commentators talk about them possibly being low on gas etc.

I'd like to see something like this happen with game/season/career records. NFL2k5 touched on it, but it was never fleshed all the way out and I think it would add such an amazing amount of immersion to the game. It would make it feel 10 times less synthetic imo.
I have to agree with you, kinda like MLB the show, their commentary wraps you into the game for the most part it is just awesome. It sounds minimal, but this would such a major improvement and check yes again Booey

Suscribe on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/GleezyBaby43
Gleezybaby43
Old 07-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
So what would you like to see?
I don't know. But what I don't want to see them do is different takes on what others are doing or have already done unless there's something innovative/new about it. And most ideas people on the forums suggest are of the "do what [this game] did" variety - we're not developers. Which is why I said it should be innovative and speak to THEIR game. The realtime atmosphere approach probably wouldn't be a good fit because of the unnatural movement players have. Having a ton of cutscenes are nice; better than what they had before - but it's very last gen-ish, been there/done that by other games.

That's the reason this thread exists. Imo that's why there's the feeling from some of the posts that while there's improvement that people appreciate, you see the general expectation that they're going to need to come up with something that feels new. For the halftime show, would people really want to see them do what 2K5 was 5yrs and a generation ago? Sure it'd be an improvement from what they were doing, but the expectation shouldn't be what it was then. Things they've added like the snow or rain on the camera lens are cool and new. I don't know if it was someone on the forums that suggested it, but it looks like it was implemented nicely. Things like their referee approach, injuries, etc. when they went to next gen didn't work - but at least they tried to do something new they believed in. And it doesn't mean they're destined to fail forever and need to "listen to us" (not saying you're saying that of course). I'd just like to see some innovation

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS

Last edited by spankdatazz22; 07-22-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #16
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boooey
For example..

just some thoughts..
just to add some more to my list..

airplane or blimp flying overhead with shadow on the field
Birds flying in and out of stadium
rainbow after rain
on field temperature/heat index gauge
fog on the field
heavy snow/rain games truly affect screen visibility playing the game
seasonal feel (Christmas decorations or clothing on crowd in December, Halloween Costumes during late October, etc..)
National Anthem being sung before games.
Rain mist on sidelines during really hot games.
Heated benches on really cold games.

man, the possibilities are endless

Last edited by boooey; 07-22-2009 at 04:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »