Home

Is this game really that awful??

This is a discussion on Is this game really that awful?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:25 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Is this game really that awful??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
with all the complaint/negative threads (probably like 9 out of 10 threads) here one would think that is the case and one of the worst games ever made, but IMO it is not a bad game at all. Its actually very solid and probably one of the best Maddens made to date besides 05 on the ps2.

Of course there are some very glaring issues like the flats which are pretty money against any defense, lack of cpu run game, QB's that dont have a blind spot, bad run blocking AI for both human and cpu, lack of a consistent pass rush, and many more (damn, it does sound like this game is all jacked up huh?). With all that though, I still am really enjoying this game and keep looking forward to my next franchise game, already 6 games into my regular season. With madden 09, I never even played past the pre-season. Thats how hideous that game was.

I guess it's just human/consumer nature to raise a ruckus and complain when something is a bit off. When do you see somebody go back to a store and demand to speak to a manager just to praise their service or product? Yup, it don't happen too often.

Anyways, game on guys!
either it is how it sounds, or everyone is just trying to annoy you. take a good guess
Old 08-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 6

The reason why 9 out of 10 threads have a problem with the game (which is probably an exaggeration) is because the rest of us are too busy playing the game to respond. I have no problem with those that have a big problem with the game, but I'm not going to stop playing it because I have fun, which is why I got the game anyway.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:29 AM   #19
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by doseyclwn
The reason why 9 out of 10 threads have a problem with the game (which is probably an exaggeration) is because the rest of us are too busy playing the game to respond. I have no problem with those that have a big problem with the game, but I'm not going to stop playing it because I have fun, which is why I got the game anyway.
Yep. I'm posting half as much as I normally do coz i'm having lots of fun playing.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:39 AM   #20
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doseyclwn
I really don't think it's a matter of whether or not the game is fun, because fun is relative to each person who has the game. I just think a lot of the football crowd demands realism. NFL Blitz could be fun too, but I don't think anybody is calling that a sim game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing this to Blitz..I'm just making a point. If you all are having fun with the game that's great. I just want to let the OP know that if a decent out of the box football simulation is what he is after he might be better off renting this first. And please don't give me the "no game is perfect" argument. Unlike guys like Apex and Moody I can live with weird animation quirks if the results come out somewhat realistically. This game just has some serious flaws that hold it from being a solid sim experience. Does that mean it isn't fun? No. It just means it isn't sim...at least not out of the box and not without a constant struggle with sliders. And some people consider a good sim to be fun.

Really I think the bottom line with this game right now is rent it first. Unless you're wealthy enough to gamble 60 dollars away you owe it to yourself to at least rent the game.

I'm not a *****. If somebody loves it that's great. It's just that sports games can very quickly end up on the shelf collecting dust if they don't meet our needs. The safe bet is to rent.

I'm sure I'm not winning friends with this so I'll sign off now! In all honesty though it's all done with respect. Everybody has different expectations. Just remember..Caveat Emptor...try before you buy. This is the only way to be sure. If you love it that's awesome for you. If you hate it send me 50% of the money I saved you from buying it!

Last edited by budsticky; 08-17-2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:43 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 8

IMHO, it's about expectations. The game is unquestionably flawed, and some of the flaws become very annoying (DBs running routes before the WR in man coverage, the over-the-shoulder catch constantly, tons of holding calls on FG attempts, pursuit angle issues, passes to the flats giving up 10+ yards unless you specifically call a zone with flat coverage, and giving up 10+ yards half the time even when you do cover the flats due to broken tackles, blockers running right past the guy they should be blocking, etc...) If you want it to be "everything you see on sunday", you'll be very disappointed. If you want online franchise to be like offline franchise, you'll be very disappointed. If you expect players to behave in a realistic manner all the time, you'll be disappointed. This is the first Madden I've turned the commentary completely off on. It was just pissing me off to get sacked in the first 1/2 second of a play then have the announcers say I had open receivers. Or worse, taking a sack and having them immediately say I should have held on to the ball longer.

That said, it is by far the most fun Madden game since 2005. If you just want a fun football game, I think it fits the bill. It's miles ahead of any of the other next-gen maddens. If you're waiting for a madden game without issues, you'll never ever buy one. Every game has issues, and some of these are very annoying, but I won't be returning the game. I just hope some of it gets patched.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 AM   #22
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsticky
I really don't think it's a matter of whether or not the game is fun, because fun is relative to each person who has the game. I just think a lot of the football crowd demands realism. NFL Blitz could be fun too, but I don't think anybody is calling that a sim game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing this to Blitz..I'm just making a point. If you all are having fun with the game that's great. I just want to let the OP know that if a decent out of the box football simulation is what he is after he might be better off renting this first. And please don't give me the "no game is perfect" argument. Unlike guys like Apex and Moody I can live with weird animation quirks if the results come out somewhat realistically. This game just has some serious flaws that hold it from being a solid sim experience. Does that mean it isn't fun? No. It just means it isn't sim...at least not out of the box and not without a constant struggle with sliders. And some people consider a good sim to be fun.

Really I think the bottom line with this game right now is rent it first. Unless you're wealthy enough to gamble 60 dollars away you owe it to yourself to at least rent the game.

I'm not a *****. If somebody loves it that's great. It's just that sports games can very quickly end up on the shelf collecting dust if they don't meet our needs. The safe bet is to rent.

I'm sure I'm not winning friends with this so I'll sign off now! In all honesty though it's all done with respect. Everybody has different expectations. Just remember..Caveat Emptor...try before you buy. This is the only way to be sure. If you love it that's awesome for you. If you hate it send me 50% of the money I saved you from buying it!
I've had the game for over a week already.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 AM   #23
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
I've had the game for over a week already.
OK. My bad for misreading your initial post. You must have known you'd get some response to this..because like I said, this game early on is nothing if not polarizing. If you like it, cool. Enjoy. Now sit back and watch the flame wars erupt over the next few pages until this thread turns into a war of personal attacks and gets locked.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:52 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

I must not be a sim head like I thought I was, lol, because I'm lovin this ****.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »