Home

Why do the Bears have such a low coaching rating?

This is a discussion on Why do the Bears have such a low coaching rating? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #25
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Why do the Bears have such a low coaching rating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappybrown
And since you cited his last season as proof, if you think that going 9-7 and missing the playoffs is anything other than average (or for that matter, a failed season), I feel sorry for you. If that is acceptable for Chicago these days, times are tough.
Not saying that it's acceptable, but it's better than a losing record. But how many times have Sean Payton lead the Saints to the playoffs? 1 time. And who did he lose to in the playoffs? Lovie Smith. But he's rated higher than Lovie? I don't think so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #26
Rookie

uiucjpo's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
And since you cited his last season as proof, if you think that going 9-7 and missing the playoffs is anything other than average (or for that matter, a failed season), I feel sorry for you. If that is acceptable for Chicago these days, times are tough.
You don't know Chicago very well do you?

2nd most wins in the NFC over the last 4 years... is WAY above average. And the fact that they GOT to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman should tell you how well the coaching staff did, Ron Turner included (minus that stupid FB dive play).

Bob Babich on the other hand is gawd awful.... but it doesn't matter since Lovie's calling the plays now.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiucjpo
You don't know Chicago very well do you?

2nd most wins in the NFC over the last 4 years... is WAY above average. And the fact that they GOT to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman should tell you how well the coaching staff did, Ron Turner included (minus that stupid FB dive play).

Bob Babich on the other hand is gawd awful.... but it doesn't matter since Lovie's calling the plays now.
I know Chicago well enough to know they are average and that the 13-3 Super Bowl year was an outlier.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #28
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Its dynamic in franchise mode and its base on the season...for example a coach thats 40ovr might go upnto 80 in the next year if he had a great season the year before and vice versa....maybe the default ratings are based on last year only...
Old 08-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #29
Puck Dynasty

soxnut1018's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
I know Chicago well enough to know they are average and that the 13-3 Super Bowl year was an outlier.
Even if you want to argue that Lovie is average, 1/3 bars is not average. He should be at least 2. No one is arguing that he should be 3/3, but he is in the top 10 or 15 coaches in the NFL.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
You seem to be talking quite clearly out of your ****. Which is impressive to say the least. Maybe you just dont really understand the game of football.

Superbowl births by definition are "outlier" seasons but are not average and no coach that achievs this with any other combination of successful years can be considered average. If it were average, if the NFC were so weak, then the teams would all be 8-8. Winning any single game in the NFL is difficult. a few years ago a 10-6 team in the NFC went on to defeat a 16-0 team in the AFC. Thats how difficult a single win can be in the NFL.

To say that a coach that has had 3 winning seasons, 2 division championships, and a superbowl birth is average is so incredibly illogical my head might explode. Here is a list of Coaches with comparable resume's in the NFL right now

Bill bellichek
Tom Coughlin
Andy Ried
Jeff Fisher
Lovie Smith

Only 2 superbowl rings in that lot. For the sake of argument ill add the recently retired dungy and Mike Homelgrin. Still were talking about coaches that played with several prospective hall of famer's on their teams during thier best runs.

Smith took the Bears to the super bowl with REX GROSSMAN!

not many other coaches could have ever done that.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

I was wondering this too, but for the Colts. It makes no sense. We have some great coaches and have always had great coaches. Yea we have a rookie Head Coach, but he's still very experienced and has been in the business for awhile now.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #32
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »