Home

A Plea for Sanity

This is a discussion on A Plea for Sanity within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #17
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: A Plea for Sanity

But it's EA themselves who hype up the game more than anyone. E very year the commercials hype up the game like the Second Coming. "If it's in the game, it's in the game." They have midnight releases, sponsor tournaments. Then throw in the hefty $60 price tag each year (no upgrade pricing, no loyalty - you pay the same $60 every year whether it's your first version or tenth) . EA is setting the bar very high, and we as consumers have the right to complain when things don't live up. Some of it gets out of hand, but given how long this game has been out, how many years they've had to work on it, and the more they pump it up and hype it up each year, the bar is set high by their very own actions. We have the right to expect the world, because that is exactly what we're promised.

And as to patches, they wouldn't be necessary if EA did their job the first time around. They must put out the patches just to get the game to work properly, which is another sad reality. The fact is that the exclusivity contract with the NFL has made the EA developers fat, complacent, and lazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Moncrief
First off, I want to establish a few points.

1 - I am not doing this to suck-up to any form of forum staff here.
2 - I am fully aware we all have the right, through sharing the privilege of using this forum, to discuss, praise, and/or bash the Madden franchise.
3 - I am aware that I have complained about two areas of Madden NFL 10 here; Superstar mode and it's depth chart functionality and the lack of combined tackle totals. However, I have not gone to the depths that some have gone here in criticizing these areas.
4 - If this thread leads to a load of disorderly behavior (flaming, spamming, etc) I wholeheartedly agree with the possibility of it being locked and/or deleted.

Before I begin, I want to stress that while I agree with what I stated in point 4, I really hope we don't have to have this thread deleted and maybe we can share a discussion here in a civilized manner.

Speaking of being civilized, that's something that I've noticed little of here lately. Everyone's completely freaking out and redundancy is running rampart.

Like everyone else, I am looking forward to patches being released for the game. But do we need to constantly talk about the patches in every thread that is published on this forum? Someone can start a thread about beating the deep pass or establishing a run game and somehow it will go off-topic and everyone's shared anticipation for patches takes over.

Nearly all of us here bought the game, and truth is this year's edition is, without a doubt, the best since Madden went to 360/PS3. Yes, there are problems in the game. However, no game is perfect. Unfortunately, a lot of us here are acting completely ridiculous over the fact.

What happened to the days when your controlled-character's gun would go through a wall in Goldeneye for N64 and we thought it was COOL? What happened to the days when glitches would take place and we would be oblivious to the fact that it was an error within the game?

We need to loosen up our belts a little. We're getting a little high strung here. First off, it's just a video game and believe it or not, by purchasing it you are agreeing to accept the video game as is.

If EA doesn't want to release a patch, they are not obligated to, and so they don't have to. If they do release a patch, they are doing us a favor. The more we act as though it's something we are entitled to, the more foolish we look.

If [enter random band's name here] releases an album with 2 hit songs and 11 fluff filler tracks, would it make sense for the band to release a "patch" fixing the songs? Hell, like an album, video games are a work of art. You should feel privileged that there are people in this world capable of producing video games of such a high caliber (yes, despite glitches Madden NFL 10 is some good stuff) and that you can share in the experience of playing it. Like we used to enjoy video games, "back in the day." Be a kid again, please.

I'm not completely sure how Ian Cummings became such a scapegoat for the problems present in the Madden franchise. But how would you feel if you made something that you may have honestly believed was the best edition of said creation you have ever made and it was criticized ridiculously by thousands of people. I, personally, am the type to tell people to go "f" themselves and I would likely discontinue whatever it was that I was producing. Then again, I must admit, that I am not part of a multi-million dollar company so maybe things change once the money comes in and your skin gets a little thicker.

I don't know. Honestly, I wish we could all keep our criticisms in the Gripes thread and devote the rest of this forum to positive experiences with Madden. And please, for my sanity (nod to the topic title, eh?), don't tell me the problems with Madden far outweigh the good in the game because that's crazy talk.

To finish this off, I am going to refer to my 2nd point. I stated that we have a privilege to be here, similar to having the privilege of buying Madden NFL 2010. Some of you should really rearrange your thought processes and realized that while it is free to register here on this forum and you are allowed to share your thoughts, we are entitled to nearly nothing here. Many of you should try and not complain just to complain, hop off the bandwagons. While you have the privilege to share your views here, I shouldn't have to have them shoved down my throat everytime I come back here. And you can always say, fine then go somewhere else, and I'm sure if I left here it would not be any kind of loss to the community but why can't we act a bit more civilized?

I don't think I'm asking for much. Post the criticisms in the gripes thread, and the positives in the thread designate for all things possitive in Madden 10. And maybe, just maybe, let's develop a ratio of 1 negative thread for every 4 or 5 positive threads from now on. This place would be a lot funner and a lot less of a headache to come to.

Thanks for reading. I am taking a crap right now and figured I'd post some food for thought. Great thinkers think on the bowl. Never forget that.

Last edited by servo75; 08-30-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #18
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: A Plea for Sanity\

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudplayr
If you could ask 90% of the people on here what their dream job would be, I think Madden designer is right up there behind NFL Quarterback.
I disagree..Having worked in commercial software development before, you couldn't pay me enough to do that job.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: A Plea for Sanity\

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I disagree..Having worked in commercial software development before, you couldn't pay me enough to do that job.
Count me in the above category.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #20
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

One of these post pop up every once and a while about how we as sports video gamers should "ease up on EA' or "be grateful we have this game", if thats how you feel then thats you. Everyone is different, some of us don't need to be told to accept things the way they are, some choose to speak out and let there voices be heard, now some can be very cruel in there post, but that comes from years of fustration and not seeing anything done. And saying "Well, its a approvement over 09'" isn't really saying that much, seeing as though M10 suffers from similar issues that was in 09'.....Im as fustrated as the next man with the Madden series, and I don't post negative comments on this site towards EA or there development team, instead I try to make the best of a bad situation by making this so called "Simulation" football game at least playable....if someone else feels that this game represents simulation football then so be it, thats there opinion, but me on the other hand shouldn't feel like I have to bite my tongue cause I feel as though this game doesn't represent simulation football. Just like those who like this game as well as previous versions of it and post things they like or call the game "the best sim game out there" we who apose that can't comment because we will either be labelled trolling or suspended from the site, while on the other hand even mentioning or comparing Madden to NFL 2K5 and your a 2K fanboy......You have to take the good with the bad in life. Same goes for Madden and EA, there no exceptions to the rule.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #21
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

This is how life will be for madden being the only football game. They could create the perfect game with no flaws and people will still complain. If we had 2 or 3 games like in the past it would take attention off madden and people who didnt like had a choice to play a different NFL game. Now we have no choice, and for the 1st time people have to deal with this being the only game. I like Madden this year but i also liked having a choice as a consumer to compare games, and if i didnt like Madden I could still play video game football by buy another title. Now all we can do is complain and groan and wait til next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2009, 01:55 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 32

I accept the game for what it is, a good but not great football sim.

I have 2 other footballl games to balance my expectations and play time.

This plea for sanity should have started a few months ago because the expectations was far from realistic.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 10

I like the game, ive no major gripes with it tbh - I just play and enjoy it.

As for the thread and what gets peoples backs up, I believe are (sorry if im repeating here, ive not read all responses)

1 - Ian Cummings or whoever at EA seemingly promising alot more than they can deliver. Now thats not in itself such a crime, BUT if you have developers in here and on their blogs etc bleating on about how this works, how this is much better, how they want to rectify mistakes from the past, how this game is a new beginning.... well they have to deliver. Unfortunately for some, it appears that these over-promises (ill call them) have not come to fruition and thus there is going to be some anger/disappointment among those who have shelled out $$ believing the hype.

2 - Telling people to just enjoy it or not buy it, is probably not ideal as EA have wrapped up the football market thus leaving NFL fans (simulation fans) having no choice in what to buy. Its a case of buy this and believe that EA can get it right, or chew your finger nails through till Feb.

As i say im enjoying it, but those who dont have valid arguments to be upset and angry.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #24
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdog
Respect the OP wishes or stay out of it. Anyone trolling it will be given infractions. The OP wrote about something that's been killing this forum IMO. Again if you don't agree,don't post in this thread. Head to the "Gripe" sticky and have at it. This thread will not be closed if people can't act like adults. Those people will be given some time off from this forum. PERIOD.

Carry on with some intelligent discussion. Thanks
Jackdog... how can there be a discussion if there isn't disagreement? You're basically saying here that intelligent discussion is only if you agree with the original poster.

Agreeing with the OP has nothing to do with intelligent discussion. Discussions can be had with people of differing viewpoints, but it can only work if people are acting mature.

I'm assuming your words don't really mean what you want them to mean.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »