Home

Having trouble running the football

This is a discussion on Having trouble running the football within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Rookie

teammaxwell's Arena

OVR: 10
Having trouble running the football

I can't seem to get the ball past the line of scrimmage often... seems like the defense is busting through the offensive line as soon as I snap the ball.

any suggestions?

playing on All-pro.

thanks,

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Pro

kwpit79's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Having trouble running the football

Quote:
Originally Posted by teammaxwell
I can't seem to get the ball past the line of scrimmage often... seems like the defense is busting through the offensive line as soon as I snap the ball.

any suggestions?

playing on All-pro.

thanks,
Yeah, unless I mess with the sliders, I barely get 2 yards a carry.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37

Unfortunately, you have to play with the sliders! I thought at first that it was because I was playing with the Raiders, but then I played with the Pats, Chargers, Cowboys and even the Steelers, and I get no blocking. Defense knows everytime I am running the ball. smh And I play on All-Pro
Old 09-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I am terrible at running, but here is one tip I can give you, if you are running power O and there is a player lined up directly in front of your guard on the side that the play is going to, audible out of it. For some reason the right guard takes off to the left side and leave him unblocked and you are usually met in the backfield as you get the handoff
Old 09-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Rookie

OJsakila's Arena

OVR: 5

pull left trigger (xbox360) and set the ol to block however you like...ive found it helps a good bit
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 26

What team are you using?

I have found that the Oline is finally as important as the RB. Try playing with the panthers. Their entire offensive line is built for run blocking and they have extremely talented RBs.

A few tips for running

1. Follow your blocks and hit the holes. As soon as my RB gets the ball, I look at the Oline and find the holes that are opening up. I use a quick juke to get into that hole and sprint up the field.

2. Use your RBs properly. If you have Reggie Bush, NEVER try and take someone who is squared up with you. Think about it realistically...When you play football, is it harder to tackle someone who is squared up or at an angle? With smaller agile backs always try and keep an angle at the defense. This will help you break many more tackles when you use the juke to change direction. If you have a power runner try, smack the junk out of the defense.

3. When you start to get tackled, hit up rapidly on the highlight stick. I am not sure if it does anything more but I think it helps you break more tackles.

4. Avoid great DTs. If someone has Hayesworth, Jenkins, Stroud, or Rogers at DT you might as well not bother running a dive play. They are normally getting off blocks quickly and will tackle you at the LOS. Use stretches, tosses, and off tackle plays away from them(normally to the left side) This will help negate them some. This also includes knowing the other team. If they have a great ROLB then dont run to his side. If they have a good run stopping SS then odds are you want to avoid running to his side.

5. Get good run blocking WRs, TEs and FB. They will hold their blocks longer and you can even use them down field to out maneuver two defenders if you set the block properly. The Panthers Muhammad(sp) is a great run blocker and I often get bigger run plays if I run to his side.

Last edited by Glorious Arc; 09-01-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm playing on higher than All-Madden and usually get over 100 yard per game rushing. Run to the outside on pitches and make sure to motion your full back in that direction and snap the ball before he is finished setting himself. Or run up the middle in a 4WR 1RB set and dodge the DT either left or right (depending on which DT takes the center which way).

Those are pretty much the only things I do and my rushing slider is set on 16. All-Madden is 15.
If you continue seeking a Madden game with all of the options it had on XBox, you will be disappointed. If you accept that the next-gen version of Madden is a downgrade in every area except graphics, then you will find a true gaming experience.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Just follow your blocks and juke behind blockers to set up holes. I can get 200 yards per game on All Madden, so I have to use sliders to get under 5 ypc.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »