Home

Should Madden consider adding COMPOSURE and CONSISTENCY ratings for players?

This is a discussion on Should Madden consider adding COMPOSURE and CONSISTENCY ratings for players? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 49
Re: Should Madden consider adding COMPOSURE and CONSISTENCY ratings for players?

Sure, if ratings mattered. As it stands, they dont, so why add more? Consist should be one of the most useful ratings in a football game.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Should Madden consider adding COMPOSURE and CONSISTENCY ratings for players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep
I'm getting concerned that there are soooo many rating nowadays that I'm sure many just cancel each other out, rendering them useless.
very good point. there are too many ratings that I dont think the game even factors in half of them. madden should revamp its ratings system.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think more ratings are a good thing. A composure rating would be awesome. Rookies could have a low composure that would affect their overall performance and then it could improve if they have good games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Sure, if ratings mattered. As it stands, they dont, so why add more? Consist should be one of the most useful ratings in a football game.
Couldn't disagree more. Ratings matter more in this Madden than any of its predecessors.

My issue with this is that it's not particularly measurable. Like speed, tackling, jumping, throw power, etc. - those things can be measured. How would one measure composure or consistency? Maybe in established veterans, sure, but what about rookies? What about 2nd or 3rd year guys who haven't gotten their shot to break out yet? Would they perform badly in Madden because Donnie Moore says so? It's the same issue I have with potential. A player who was a stand out in college comes in to madden with his rating already capped. I don't see the logic. There is none. A 'team' of ratings guys decides a players abilities on Madden. I prefer to leave that to the players themselves. Ratings that can't be measured are just too hard to implement.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #13
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

In theory, yes...it would be a valued addition. In reality? I dunno. I mean, much of what I read on this board is how they can't program things properly (namely AI logic) and we want them to ADD two things that mess with the way logic is handled? Yikes.

Composure (and to a lesser degree, consistency) can do a lot more to mess up a game than help it if it's not done right IMO. I like the idea, I just don't know that Madden is ready yet...lol.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5

i think composure would be good as a rating and consistency even better. I also think there are too many ratings and some dont work well for the fact that with good man and/or zone coverage ratings you can use an lb as a safety and his ovr will go up 10+ points. IE. boss bailey.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 5

guys good points so let me just throw this out there to chew on...

In the NFL, there many players that are very talented and play solid but lack consistent performances week in and week out. Off the top of my head, Brett Farve is a good example. He can be a tremendous gamer on some weeks and on others he can look like a total mess.

Madden has no attribute or algorithm to factor in his inconsistent performances....So in theory, if he was rated a high 90 (for arguments sake) Each week, he would be performing within the parameters of a high 90 player ....consistently. I think the engine would be more realistic if there was an Attribute like CONSISTENCY from 1-100. The closer the rating is to 100, the more likely a player will repeatedly perform to his other potential ratings.

Perhaps Consistency could be a week to week thing whereas a COMPOSURE rating could be a play to play thing in which players with low composure ratings would less likely play to their stats during certain critical situations or after they screwed up.

Im almost sure that 2K actually had these ratings and a few others if Im not mistaken. And I think that is why the 2K football games always had alot of player performance diversity and organic feeling gameplay that Madden could never really duplicate.

On a plus note for Madden, I have to disagree a bit with those that stated that ratings dont mean anything in Madden. For years, I actually would agree with this, but this year, I have to say, I really feel the distinctions between the various players around the league and even in the same positions. It may be a little early for me to say that it has surpassed 2K, but it feels close to me. Im really seeing the variety in the ratings translate to appropriate performances more than any Madden I've ever played.

What I WOULD like to seriously suggest to the MADDEN team even if they dont add the composure and consistency ratings is to SERIOUSLY consider consolidating the actual VIEW of specific ratings based on position. What I simply mean by this is, design the player ratings pages to only pull up RATINGS that affect the player's position. and keep the others hidden. For example, its a real PIA to have to scroll accross so many meaningless attributes like Press Release, Trucking, Pass Blocking, or Kick accuracy to get to my Quarterbacks DEEP Accuracy Rating. See what I mean? The useless one's should be hidden or greyed out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 10

Composure I don't think is needed.

That is basically what Awareness is for.

Consistency though is needed. A player can have all the skill he wants, but unless he can produce his best week in week out it doesn't matter.

But even then, I'm not so sure that rating would do anything either, that's why we have player overalls basically. A Peyton Manning is a 99 OVR because he is that good and does it each week.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »