Home

The Quarterback's Eyes...

This is a discussion on The Quarterback's Eyes... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
The Quarterback's Eyes...

So, I have watched much analysis of NFL games this year. In almost every analysis, when I hear them talk about a critical play, they mention the importance of the quarterback "looking the defense off" with their eyes, or the defense reading the qbs' eyes.

My point is this; any football player will tell you that the dynamic of seeing where the QB is looking is critical to the game. I don't think that Madden can be a serious nor realistic simulation of football without, in some way, including this dynamic. I know when they put it in, people complained. However, the result was a return to it being a cheese-fest.

In my opinion, it's really important that we get to see where the QB is looking. In real life, that is crucial to the sport. So, if it's in the game, then it SHOULD be in the game.

Your thoughts...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: The Quarterback's Eyes...

The idea was good, the execution was clunky/poor.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivelover
The idea was good, the execution was clunky/poor.
Indeed, it could have been better - I just wonder what they should have done. It does need to come into the game. Not including it was a nod to cheesers, I think.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
MVP

TCrouch's Arena

OVR: 33

I've wanted something like this for years. Oddly enough, Tecmo Bowl had one of the greatest systems for this. Every play in real life has a progression.

All they'd need to do is start the QB's vision on the primary target. Flick the R stick to the right to move to your next progression. Flick it back to the left to simulate looking off a receiver and then back.

Pull the RT to throw the ball.

Throw the LT to throw the ball to your designated "checkdown" receiver (a back or TE, etc).

Simple method of giving us a true progression of QB reads and throws. I don't know why it's so tough when Tecmo Bowl on NES had one button to move to the next receiver and one to throw--QB's can't look at everything all the time, so at least that system would simulate it (since we have a Bird's Eye view of the entire field and can see everything at once, it would handicap that).
Old 09-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

I would accept the Tecmo Toggle. It was great. The only part I don't like is the cone allowed for "aiming". Aim is awesome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch
I've wanted something like this for years. Oddly enough, Tecmo Bowl had one of the greatest systems for this. Every play in real life has a progression.

All they'd need to do is start the QB's vision on the primary target. Flick the R stick to the right to move to your next progression. Flick it back to the left to simulate looking off a receiver and then back.

Throw the LT to throw the ball to your designated "checkdown" receiver (a back or TE, etc).

Simple method of giving us a true progression of QB reads and throws. I don't know why it's so tough when Tecmo Bowl on NES had one button to move to the next receiver and one to throw--QB's can't look at everything all the time, so at least that system would simulate it (since we have a Bird's Eye view of the entire field and can see everything at once, it would handicap that).
Interesting idea, but I just want to really understand what you are saying. Are you saying that there would be no receiver icons, only that you would highlight a receiver by going through reads with the right stick?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

How are we going to see the QB's eyes in a video game when his back is to us? There are certain perspectives here that need to be accounted for. First there is the on the field perspective in what the A.I players and the human controlled defensive player sees. Second, there is real life, which is completely different than a video game. As a human controlling a defensive player, I cannot see the QB's eyes since his back is to me.

Also we have to take this into account. What are they going to have to do to the defense to get a mechanic like this to be functional? If it means slowing down the pass rush and blitzes I'm against it completely. Unfortunately, I don't see how everything can be realistic. I don't see having a realistic pass rush in terms of speed, and realistic blitzes in terms of speed and having a mechanic like this be functional. I think a choice has to be made you either put a mechanic like this in and fuxor the defensive front 7, or you keep it as is and get the pass rush and blitzing more realistic. I don't like thinking in either or terms, but I think this is one case where it unfortunately is useful.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrouch

I agree with what you say, but even though eveyplay has a progression a qb knows to hit his checkdown anytime he is in trouble. This may be his 5th progression, but if he feels pressure he goes to checkdown or outlet now. A qb also may have a hot read that may be primary, but if the hot is off the receiver may be a part of the 3rd progression. This couldn't be accurately reflected in a tecmo bowl type system.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »