Home

EA, You Have Got To Stop Having The AI Perform By Script.

This is a discussion on EA, You Have Got To Stop Having The AI Perform By Script. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 34
EA, You Have Got To Stop Having The AI Perform By Script.

Probably preaching to the choir with this one, but what the heck, here goes my 2 cents, for whatever it is worth.

I dont know why they do this. It influences user games, and games vs the CPU as well.

I simply do not understand why it is so difficult to have players perform and make plays that make sense and are in context with what is happening on the football field, and have them react accordingly.

Instead, what we have is WWE, scripted outcomes.

Here are some examples of what I mean.

1) I'm playing a friend, in a unranked game. I have a tight end being covered by Troy Paulamalu in straight man coverage.

the TE is running a in route, and Troy is trailing the play.

Troy has a man coverage rating in the 60's...and he is clearly beat here. What do I do? I say, "Great! got a mismatch, I'm throwing this ball, easy TD."

Nuh-uh.

The game says, "This is Troy Paulamalu, he's our cover boy, and dang it, its time for him to make this pick 6."

Troy vortexs into a INT, and runs it back 98 yards.

2) I'm playing against the CPU..using the Falcons Vs the Fish. I show blitz to bring Eric Coleman into the box. I'm manually controlling him. Ronnie Brown is running a counter. My LB's start to pursue, so I hold my position on the outside in case I need crash and mop up.

Great. But Ronnie Brown needed to gain yards this play, and that's all there is to it. My LB decides its time to turn around, leaving me to now have to turn and chase.

Ive seen plays, both benefiting me, and going against me, like this time and time again.

I see AI controlled defenders make a break towards recievers being thrown to, before the dang QB has begun his release, after a pump fake.

I see CB's letting receivers release, away from their safety help. No contextual awarness, whatsoever. The direction the Wr gets released by the corner, is utterly random.

I can go on and on, Ive seen it a ton of times..but these are the ones that stick out the most.

Last edited by sportyguyfl31; 09-28-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: EA, You Have Got To Stop Having The AI Perform By Script.

Yeah, I agree with you. I think this comeback AI is programmed deep into the game.

My personal "favorite" is the punt returner fumbling in the third quarter when his team is up by a somewhat comfortable margin.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Rookie

triplepz2003's Arena

OVR: 3

ever noticed that when you kick it into the endzone on a kickoff, the cpu return man will only return the kick if it knows that it will get past the 20 yard line.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
Yeah, I agree with you. I think this comeback AI is programmed deep into the game.

My personal "favorite" is the punt returner fumbling in the third quarter when his team is up by a somewhat comfortable margin.
Ha, you don't know the amount of times I've been trailing by a couple touchdowns late and I scored, then recovered a fumble for a touchdown on the ensuing kickoff to get right back in the game.

My biggest gripe with the game right now, however, is my defensive players running away from the ball. I run a blitz where I bring both my linebackers and my nickle back. Both the MLB and the CB have a wide open lane to the QB, but, instead of running towards the QB to sack him, the MLB turns to his right and runs right into the guard and the CB turns around completely and runs backwards into the tackle.

I'm like..."WTF, THIS HAPPENS SO MUCH!"

Seriously guys, watch for it. It happens.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Retar Crew

Antec's Arena

OVR: 12

Have you ever been driving for a TD and a 10-0 lead to only have your halfback somehow fumble it at the 5 yard line? Then later on have your star QB throw a goal line pass to the best receiver in the game only to have it bounce of his hands into the safety's? Not to mention all day your starting LT got completely wrecked by their DE on nearly every play?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec
Not to mention all day your starting LT got completely wrecked by their DE on nearly every play?

You mean like Gandy did last night against Dwight Freeney?
Old 09-28-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoods
Ha, you don't know the amount of times I've been trailing by a couple touchdowns late and I scored, then recovered a fumble for a touchdown on the ensuing kickoff to get right back in the game.
This happens.. ALOT.. i have a friend who's close to my skill level, and we're always trading win's because of stuff like this.. it's absolutely ridiculous.. you have to be more careful w/the lead than you did earning it.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doseyclwn
You mean like Gandy did last night against Dwight Freeney?
He ment a good LT...

How about this, you have a Goal line stance on offense to go up by 4.
You're star TE gets open ALL 4 downs, only to come up short by...
1)dropping the ball right out of his hands (after he makes the catch & turn)
2)the defender laser jumps the route, bolls into your receiver and he drops the pass
3)catches, turns up field and fumbles.

I had this exact scenario happen Twice in back to back games (I did a restart just to see what would happen).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »