Home

Where's my Money? I'll take a check

This is a discussion on Where's my Money? I'll take a check within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #25
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Where's my Money? I'll take a check

I'm sorry, but say that the economy is an excuse and played no part in the decline of sales for Madden is absurd. By the same token, to say that the economy is the sole purpose for the decline in sales is absurd.

People are trying to form absolutes, when there isn't any. Nobody has enough knowledge here to constitute what exactly is the reason for the decline in Madden sales. The most logical reasoning would be a combination of both poor quality from last few years plus the state of the economy.

And comparing Batman to Madden is fine and dandy, but you can't say simply that because Batman outsold Madden that Batman is the far superior game. Reason? How many people purchased Batman also purchased Madden? How many of those that purchased Batman are non-sports gamers? Also, when was the last Batman game released?

Yes Batman appears to be the better seller, but that doesn't necessarily constitute that its the overall better game. Making that comparison simply off sales charts only leads to false absolutes.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #26
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
To determine if the game failed or not would have been something that Ian and myself would have agreed on.

I would never have agreed to game scores or a review from any site, for obvious reasons.

I would have went to sales as the deciding factor, and if he would have agreed then it would have been a figure were if the game matched or surpassed he would have won, and if it was under I would have won.

Using the sale figures that are out now I feel would have been under what we would have agreed on, and I would have won, also if we took into account how many were returned then things really would have sealed the deal for me.

To use the Metacritic score would be foolish. Just look at Madden 09, and really that game was horrid. Also there is no secret that certain sites will give a good score do to the relationship and perks they receive from the gaming company. That is why I would have never agreed to any review scores.
Any sort of assessment between you and Ian would have to rely on some sort of objective measure of quality. Metacritic, right or wrong, is used by the games industry all the time to judge the critical acclaim and success of a title. As such, it's a perfectly acceptable measure for Madden's success, however biased you want to believe reviews are. If you reject Metacritic scores as an objective measure of quality, what would you expect Ian to come in here and do, conduct an independent analysis of the game with just you and, further, agree with you and bash his own product that he just spent a year working on, and over completely subjective and obviously predisposed grounds? Particularly when his job probably depends on the success of said product? Really?

Moreover, there's also no possible way you could have won on sales as Madden was easily the top-selling game in August, probably will come close to matching that in September, and if Madden 09 is any indication it will be one of the top ten highest-selling games this year.

I finally reject the notion that Madden 09 was horrid; it was at this point last year easily the best next-gen Madden to-date, though it pales in comparison what 10 has to offer now.

Quote:
I do read the paper, but unlike you I will not accept the economy as an excuse to the poor sales for Madden. Now if that is what you want to believe then that is fine, and I would not call you a dumb little kid. I just see it as you having a different opinion than me, and oblivious to the truth.

It is obvious that everyone who is affiliated to this forum has a obligation to protect EA, so why would anyone even take anything you say serious when you can't for obvious reason talk bad in anyway about EA.

Only a dumb kid would not know that , and pretty much all of us in hear know this.
No one here is obligated to protect EA. Hate to break it to you, but EA has far better things to do with their money than pay a few people to fight off a few internet naysayers at Operation Sports.

I can't fathom what's so hard about the concept that, considering global year-over-year video game sales are down at least 15%, and given that Madden is a video game, that Madden's year-over-year sales will probably trend downward as well. That is the truth of the matter right now. I challenge you to bring forth a plausible and objective alternative explanation to the contrary.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #27
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegames
lol..i dont get it.. so your saying you won the bet based off your "own opinion" There is no fact that the game is good or bad as everyone has their own opinion.

If you want to prove your right..i suggest you make a poll asking who likes madden10 and who dont like madden10..that would prove if you were right or wrong much better then using your own opinion.

I DARE you to make this poll..i dare you!! lol

I bet my last dollar the poll would greatly favor those that like the game..

Instead of spewing your jibberish.. MAKE THE F'n POLL!!!!

PS> I bet the OP wont make the poll because he knows he will be proven wrong
A poll come on man are you serious. A national poll yes no problem, but a poll just in this forum would not determine anything.

You obviously upset , but if your happy then what is the problem?

I started a thread on a bet that IAN ISSUED TO ME , not that I issued to him, and I felt I would have won. Does that really bother you Moe?

I really laughed when you stated "I DARE you to make this poll..i dare you!! lol"
That was cute, and if I was 5 yrs old it might have worked.

Also read back I explained on how I would have won the bet, before jumping and ranting like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
He did not call him a dumb kid. He was helping the guy out with his argument, pointing out an obvious effect that he was not mentioning. Generally good arguments have give and take, they aren't completely one-sided... ignoring truths at hinder a point. Dumb kids make ridiculous one sided arguments.

Tyrant8RDFL

I beg to differ, he just didn't state it directly

I know of a bunch of players who are enjoying this game to death who were former Madden haters (like ME!). They really hit my market fan base well - the hardcore football fan. I'm having more fun with this edition of Madden than any edition of the series, ever. Yes it passes 05 for me. Online franchise is a treat, and Pro-tak seems like it completely belongs.

Tyrant8RDFL

Some players are much easier to satisfy than others, and that is great that you enjoy the game and don't let obvious faults of the game bother. The same faults that they are patching right now.

Of course there are still criticisms and clear imperfections but in no way is the game BROKEN or UNPLAYABLE like so many whiners come on here and say. Honestly, those players usually aren't even hardcore football fans, they just come on here and complain... it's their personality not the game's weakness causing many of the negativity.

Tyrant8RDFL

Nice try with the whole "it's their personality not the game's weakness causing many of the negativity" That statement is so far from the truth as to why we give this game negative feedback. I guess when you dislike a game its for the same reason you stated, or can it just be that the game just isn't any good?

Did you ever play a game and not like it? I'm sure you did, and did you not like because of your personality? or simply because you thought the game was not good?

Entitlement mentality + ultra sensitive negative personality = whining about Madden 10 and trying to get money out of it.

Tyrant8RDFL

Honestly the same can be said about those that whine about the gamers that don't like the game. Your funny as you take shots at us for not liking the title.

Note: I don't mind constructive criticism, but there's nothing constructive here... just the usual "look at me I'm unhappy with life" whiner post.

Tyrant8RDFL

This tread was about a bet issued by Ian. Now to me you really seem to be a whiner about anyone mentioning anything negative about Madden.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #28
Content Creator

bluengold34_OS's Arena

OVR: 44

For the last time....

Mod's are not instructed to be hard on any single person or group that is coming down on any EA product. All we have ever asked is that that we show the developer's respect that come on this board. It's the same thing that we ask each and every person to show each other.

I know there is a strong perception that shows differently, but the truth is, there is not. The same rules apply for everyone. If you have a comment that is of a negative fashion...please just post it without degrading anybody. It's your opinion, and that opinion is respected on this site.

It's really not that difficult of a concept to grasp. If you have issue's with a game, please feel to post them. We just ask that you do so with a level of integrity and maturity.

We do the same for all other developer's AND members!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #29
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

And comparing Batman to Madden is fine and dandy, but you can't say simply that because Batman outsold Madden that Batman is the far superior game. Reason? How many people purchased Batman also purchased Madden? How many of those that purchased Batman are non-sports gamers? Also, when was the last Batman game released?

Yes Batman appears to be the better seller, but that doesn't necessarily constitute that its the overall better game. Making that comparison simply off sales charts only leads to false absolutes.
When I look at Batman I see a game that did a solid job in duplicating on what it was intending to do. When you play Batman you feel like Batman, and to me this is the reason why it sold well. The same reason why COD MW2 will sell extremely well, Forza 3, GTR5, and Uncharted Drakes Fortune 2.

This is why I compare games to each other. It's about how well they execute the title to feel like it suppose too. Batman did this, and Madden didn't to me.

I feel Madden and YES this is just my opinion did a bad job duplicating the sport of football, and is the reason why it did not sell well.

Now we can disagree and argue all day about the economy, but if Madden would have done a better job duplicating the game I can bet anyone in here that they game would have sold extremely well.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #30
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
When I look at Batman I see a game that did a solid job in duplicating on what it was intending to do. When you play Batman you feel like Batman, and to me this is the reason why it sold well. The same reason why COD MW2 will sell extremely well, Forza 3, GTR5, and Uncharted Drakes Fortune 2.

This is why I compare games to each other. It's about how well they execute the title to feel like it suppose too. Batman did this, and Madden didn't to me.

I feel Madden and YES this is just my opinion did a bad job duplicating the sport of football, and is the reason why it did not sell well.

Now we can disagree and argue all day about the economy, but if Madden would have done a better job duplicating the game I can bet anyone in here that they game would have sold extremely well.
You're arguing your opinion as fact thus providing false absolutes. And you're correct, Uncharted, MW2, and Forza 3 will all probably sell well. But again, you can't simply say that overall sales of a game absolutely equates to a better product. There are too many unanswered questions to state that claim. The biggest 2 in my opinion would be the number of non-sports gamers vs sports gamers and the number of people that purchased Batman who also purchased Madden.

Here's something to look up as I'd be curious to know and may shed some light on the discussion...how many times has a sports game outsold a marquee non-sports title?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 10-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 26

Tyrant, how dare you this game is the best football game of all time. You should giving Tiburon a check. I love this game it represent all that is the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:

This logic is flawed.

I bought Batman, Madden, and have a preorder in for uncharted 2. But wont buy Forza(ps3 owner) and wont buy MW2.

Does that mean that Madden is now better than those games, because I said that.

Maybe, maybe not....but truth is, that you are sayinbg you would win because of the results that you set in your mind.

You cant make a bet, then say at the end of it, you knew you would have won because the opinion is skewered.

Its as if you told someone that you wanted to make a bet on the giants last year, and then at the end of the year said "well, i would have won because I knew they werent repeating as champions, it was obvious to me then, so I win the bet"

Like someone said, madden was the highest selling game in august, higher selling than batman, and others. And batman got better metacritic scores, so I dont understand how, that would be plausible in your argument for batman, but not in your bet against madden.

BTW, a lot of people have been slamming ea for the live series, and ncaa really gets average scores, I doubt the conspiracy theory is in full effect there.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »