Home

Theoretical Threat for Madden???

This is a discussion on Theoretical Threat for Madden??? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #41
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Theoretical Threat for Madden???

Something like this I'm sure is already in the works, take a game like Backbreaker the game itself as far as the supposed live in game video Ive seen looks good,all they would need is to make the game code somewhat open source and with all the roster and logo junkies Madden has from back in the PC days when guys figured out wazoo ways to customize the game and I'm sure within the first month that game would have an amazing user made NFL Roster set aswell as a NFL package to convert all the teams in the game to thier real life counterparts.

At this point Madden fans are only one alternate football game away from somthing like this happening the problem is getting developers to have enough sack to man up and realy push EA to either make a better football game or go in a new direction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Why would someone want to play a franchise mode of a football game that, out-of-the-box, contains all fake players? Understandably, the point of releasing this game would be to make a roster file for it and have NFL squads via community work, but as the game by itself sits on the shelf without NFL rosters, it's not a compelling option to the casual gamer who puts it next to Madden, which already has official NFL rosters, good gameplay, and a good franchise mode.

Any major software project in today's environment will cost a not-insignificant amount of money; EA undoubtedly used a significant amount of resources (money for technology used to develop game, developers' salaries, opportunity costs, etc.) developing NCAA 10 and its TeamBuilder feature. As such, one has to look at the potential return on that investment, and I'm thinking that a generic, customizable 2K game would not do well based on these factors:
  • no NFL out-of-the-box (see above)
  • no market share (there hasn't been a football game by 2K for three years now)
  • already a quality alternative product available that dominates the market (Madden), which already features NFL license
  • much development required to get complete (2K can't use EA's TeamBuilder or Create A Stadium, they must develop their own tools to this end)

I'm not sure there are enough pros to overcome these cons of pursuing that project, and as such I don't think it sees the light of day. The only way I think we see 2K football return is if the NFL decides not to renew the exclusivity agreement.
Yeah lots of valid point here. Hope they can get by this. All Pro Football was a decent game. If they can take that existing formula and build off of that then maybe. But from what was said above maybe. May have to settle for a possible pc version. Thanks for your input here.

TMAC
Old 10-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneRanger1
Something like this I'm sure is already in the works, take a game like Backbreaker the game itself as far as the supposed live in game video Ive seen looks good,all they would need is to make the game code somewhat open source and with all the roster and logo junkies Madden has from back in the PC days when guys figured out wazoo ways to customize the game and I'm sure within the first month that game would have an amazing user made NFL Roster set aswell as a NFL package to convert all the teams in the game to thier real life counterparts.

At this point Madden fans are only one alternate football game away from somthing like this happening the problem is getting developers to have enough sack to man up and realy push EA to either make a better football game or go in a new direction.
Exactly this is what I'm getting at. Maybe VC and Backbreaker can get together and create competition in some form. We all know how marketing works. If you create a shell football game and call it whatever "Choice Football" and inside was a football game that gave us options to create teams, pick logo's from online (ala teambuilder), and create stadiums. (They already have this technology just give it to the user to creat what they want. 2K had to create the stadiums in 05 and with a tool to do this, the user could create his/her own stadiums. I think its possible I just want to know if anyone is going to STEP UP and challenge Madden. (not to side track the conversation) Cant believe in 2009 there is a monopoly on video game NFL football. WOW!
If this is not possible then we really need the Madden team to move up to Canada and look at the code used in Fifa and try as best they can to get momentum which they have and player reaction which they have and a host of other things that would make this game great. I know its a work in progress and Madden's really just touching the surface but I guess I'm tired of that being at the cost of my video game footballing entertainment (if thats even an expression). LOL

TMAC
Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #44
Banned

Pringles's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomymac23
Exactly this is what I'm getting at. Maybe VC and Backbreaker can get together and create competition in some form. We all know how marketing works. If you create a shell football game and call it whatever "Choice Football" and inside was a football game that gave us options to create teams, pick logo's from online (ala teambuilder), and create stadiums. (They already have this technology just give it to the user to creat what they want. 2K had to create the stadiums in 05 and with a tool to do this, the user could create his/her own stadiums. I think its possible I just want to know if anyone is going to STEP UP and challenge Madden. (not to side track the conversation) Cant believe in 2009 there is a monopoly on video game NFL football. WOW!
If this is not possible then we really need the Madden team to move up to Canada and look at the code used in Fifa and try as best they can to get momentum which they have and player reaction which they have and a host of other things that would make this game great. I know its a work in progress and Madden's really just touching the surface but I guess I'm tired of that being at the cost of my video game footballing entertainment (if thats even an expression). LOL

TMAC
yo tommy you must really feel a passion for this game to be made lol ,you been a member since 2003 with 97 posts i have been a member for a month and have more posts than you lol sorry i just find it funny.
and a good indicator that you are not happy with the direction of the madden series.

you got to give it to the madden team though they did make madden 10 like 2k5 and the game is 10 times better than 09. sure the game has bugs they all do i just don't get how people get mad when they did such a dramatic change in 1 year you can not get to were you want in one it takes 3 years of development. i am sure the top of there list is to fix running animations the fifa engine is what i herd locomotion.

if you ever see ea sports running animations its all knee motion were 2k is more weight shift from left side to right with low knee steps in between more realistic.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles
yo tommy you must really feel a passion for this game to be made lol ,you been a member since 2003 with 97 posts i have been a member for a month and have more posts than you lol sorry i just find it funny.
and a good indicator that you are not happy with the direction of the madden series.

you got to give it to the madden team though they did make madden 10 like 2k5 and the game is 10 times better than 09. sure the game has bugs they all do i just don't get how people get mad when they did such a dramatic change in 1 year you can not get to were you want in one it takes 3 years of development. i am sure the top of there list is to fix running animations the fifa engine is what i herd locomotion.

if you ever see ea sports running animations its all knee motion were 2k is more weight shift from left side to right with low knee steps in between more realistic.
Pringle not sure how many post I need to have. When I feel like writing I write, no doubt, but your comment seems almost as if I'm not a valid person to raise this type of question. I know one thing for sure and that is that EA / Madden has had several years to "pull it" together, but have failed every year. I am upset (buying) and I am looking for another alternative to this. If the next patch by some miracle allows for expressive football
great if not then yeah I have every right to question whether anyone out there feels that another company doing what I have proposed is possible. I dont see anything wrong with that but I guess its a problem. Wow thought I could keep this on the level but comments like this always creep in...

TMAC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #46
Cyber Griffin

CFav's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
That's usually what people say who haven't bothered to dig into the game.

It actually takes a little time and effort to learn the 2K game, guys who only have the patience to only play Madden just dismiss the game as having great presentation.

You're only denying yourself a great game, I'll never quite understand it, if you love football and video game football, why wouldn't you take the time to accustom yourself to the game. 10 minutes of hitting the wrong buttons is all it takes for some guys to give up.
I was one of those people. I am happy too say that I gave it another shot and loved it after I got used to it.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (Wii)
Transformers: War For Cybertron (DS)
Guitar Hero 5 (Wii)
Band Hero (Wii)
MUA2 (PS3/XBox 360)
Hax Attacks (iPad/iPhone)

Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 AM   #47
Cyber Griffin

CFav's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktipton87
Why wouldn't the graphics be as good? I don't feel that EA uses the best possible graphics. But I am just asking y they wouldnt be as good.

And one thing i am thinkng about is, is it even possible to make a video game with the depth that we are wanting in the madden series? With just EVERYTHING that there should be in the game, is it even possible to make that kind of game with our current technology? and could we even play it on the xbox360 or ps3?
Those two platforms, particularly the PS3, have at least roughly 5-8 years of life cycle left so to speak. So IMO, yes, they should be able to handle what devs throw at them. It's more about dev cycle than life cycle though IMO.

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock (Wii)
Transformers: War For Cybertron (DS)
Guitar Hero 5 (Wii)
Band Hero (Wii)
MUA2 (PS3/XBox 360)
Hax Attacks (iPad/iPhone)

Old 10-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #48
Banned

Pringles's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomymac23
Pringle not sure how many post I need to have. When I feel like writing I write, no doubt, but your comment seems almost as if I'm not a valid person to raise this type of question. I know one thing for sure and that is that EA / Madden has had several years to "pull it" together, but have failed every year. I am upset (buying) and I am looking for another alternative to this. If the next patch by some miracle allows for expressive football
great if not then yeah I have every right to question whether anyone out there feels that another company doing what I have proposed is possible. I dont see anything wrong with that but I guess its a problem. Wow thought I could keep this on the level but comments like this always creep in...

TMAC
i did not mean it in a negative way sorry. i am saying from a observation point of view you really must be upset at the quality of the product as well as the direction. it is hard to improve a game when you switch the team every other year. would you not agree ? its not like there are to many teams out there that have experience when ea sports is the only company makeing a nfl game.
so if there failing would you rather get another person who swears up n down this and that change. you will see another step backwards if anything. have you ever had developers to this extent interact with the community for input and idea's only to get bashed over and over on what they doing wrong and to keep on posting and ignore the abuse id get tired of it after awhile the first 2 weeks the game released they all say hail to the new chief 2 weeks later same users down with ian burn him on the crosss lol .

these guys get it...the game was a mess when they got in and not only did they have to correct the messes they had to make a completly new football game and direction all in 1 year the problem with long standing running madden series is you can close your eyes and tell what camera angle the gamewill be in the next year how will the presentation will be the same ratings and call it madden 2011 what they need is to completly re think how to present the madden series how to get a closer reprentation of the sport from an angle that has never been done before. it is 21 years later and not much has changed.

well anyways like i said i am sorry was not trying to offend you in anyway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »