Home

Looking off safeties . . .

This is a discussion on Looking off safeties . . . within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #33
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Looking off safeties . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserx13
maybe they can have an option to toggle the effectiveness of the cone. at high effectiveness, the cone determines everything (within the context of the QB's skill level of course), ie where he is looking and accuracy. at low effectiveness, its just looking.
That's a pretty good idea. Personally, I would crank it up to maximum effect. I don't know, I may be a masochist, I'd love for the game to punish me for the bad decisions and using bad players hahaahahahha
Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #34
Rookie

The Real Ma$$ive's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt-od
The left or right stick?
it's the left stick... just how you lead the Wide outs, you aim the left stick in the direction you want to look as soon as you pump fake, and there you go, the pump fake goes in the direction you were aiming the left stick.

Not to pick on some people, but do you know the Madden booklet even tells you how to playmaker. Yes playmaker is in Madden 10... if you really want to be the best madden player out there I suggest you take a look at the manual, and instead of concentrating on picking plays that work best, focus on the little things like audibles, the fake blitz, corner back shifts, defensive hot routes, and WR commit buttons. You'd be surprise how badly you'll hand it to your best friends lol
Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
I feel like the Street Fighter argument is sort of apples and oranges. SF was obviously never attempting to replicate anything with a real-world context.

The Madden team, for better or worse, has to keep the game accessible to as many people as possible. The vision cone is easily a hindrance to this. Not only that, but the bright flashlight was sort of odd-looking on the field at best, and detracted from the graphical appearance of the game.

I think that alternative solutions ought to be explored by EA; one idea off the top of my head would be to make some receiver icons unavailable to low-awareness quarterbacks, both pre-play (preventing extensive hot-routing by rookies and scrubs) and during the play (i.e. all buttons would exist for Peyton Manning, but a guy like Josh Freeman would only see the buttons for the play's primary receiver and a checkdown receiver). Perhaps bring in the playbook knowledge and learning ratings from NFL Head Coach 09, and that could also be a factor in this.
IMO, the street fighter argument holds water. The fact that SF is in a different genre isn't revelant. Any and every game developer wants to make their game accessible to as many people as possible. They way that is accomplished is by difficulty levels. For madden 07 for the PS2 and xbox , the Vision cone was optional for every difficulty level except for All madden. It was also mandatory online.

This is what they need to do; the vision cone adds realism to the game, no one can logically argue against that. The cone made awareness a factor for user controlled QBs. Without the vision cone, the awareness for user controlled QBs means nothing. Unless you sim every game in franchise mode, the attribute means absolutely nothing. That's not realistic.

For people who think it's too hard, they can play offline at lower levels( there was always a option to turn it off) that don't require it, or they can play unranked games. For ranked games, it needs to be mandotary, because it's the most realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #36
Banned

sois's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacho
Now that would be too difficult. It be too hard to get to 3rd or 4th read while using the right stick. Even with the R2 lock feature, you still had to aviod locking on to one WR; safties still have to be looked off, and smarter QBs were an asset. Now I would love for Ian to disable R2 button( forcing us to use the R stick) when the QB is sprinting outside of the pocket, but getting rid of the R stick all together is a little much. Sometimes you have to gid rid of the ball in 2 seconds or less. That's possible when using R2; with the R stick, get ready for a blitz fest online because it would be nearly impossible to make reads and the move the cone manually onto the reciever and get rid of the ball in time.
Well, I never thought it was difficult. It was logical if you are familiar with passing progressions.

If it was too difficult, use a QB with a huge cone.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #37
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacho
Now that would be too difficult. It be too hard to get to 3rd or 4th read while using the right stick. Even with the R2 lock feature, you still had to aviod locking on to one WR; safties still have to be looked off, and smarter QBs were an asset. Now I would love for Ian to disable R2 button( forcing us to use the R stick) when the QB is sprinting outside of the pocket, but getting rid of the R stick all together is a little much. Sometimes you have to gid rid of the ball in 2 seconds or less. That's possible when using R2; with the R stick, get ready for a blitz fest online because it would be nearly impossible to make reads and the move the cone manually onto the reciever and get rid of the ball in time.
I would do this all the time and I play online extensively. If you play FPS, this is no different. It is difficult to get used to the control in an FPS at first as well, but it can be done.

Does anyone doubt that there are people out there that can head shot you consistently with the greatest of ease?

It can be done.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #38
MVP

kt-od's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Ma$$ive
it's the left stick... just how you lead the Wide outs, you aim the left stick in the direction you want to look as soon as you pump fake, and there you go, the pump fake goes in the direction you were aiming the left stick.

Not to pick on some people, but do you know the Madden booklet even tells you how to playmaker. Yes playmaker is in Madden 10... if you really want to be the best madden player out there I suggest you take a look at the manual, and instead of concentrating on picking plays that work best, focus on the little things like audibles, the fake blitz, corner back shifts, defensive hot routes, and WR commit buttons. You'd be surprise how badly you'll hand it to your best friends lol
Cool, thanks
Old 10-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #39
Uber Blazer/Beaver Fan

blazer003's Arena

Well, if you truly want realistic, black out the screen outside of the cone. Measure it out so it covers everything that's in a person's field of view, and just black out/blur out everything outside it. You won't even know a linebacker is blitzing from the back side!

In all actuality, I think this would be a good feature in the single player "Be a Legend" kind of modes.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
Well, I never thought it was difficult. It was logical if you are familiar with passing progressions.

If it was too difficult, use a QB with a huge cone.
Yeah, but it would be too hard actually lock on to WRs. Putting the cone on the WR would be troublesome and would take too long. It makes no sense to only be able to use R stick. The point of the cone to stop QBs from throwing where they aren't looking and to make awareness matter. The point of the cone isn't to make it impossible or extremely difficult to lock the cone onto a WR that you can see is wide open.

How stupid would it be to have a wide open WR streaking down the field, yet you got sacked or didn't complete the pass simply because you keep the cone steady enough to throw it to the WR ? It's impractical to expect users to consistenty lock on to WRs that are movings targets with the R stick.

Making the game harder doesn't nesseccarily equate to making the game more sim. You're suggestion would make the controls too difficult. That's not the way to improve the game the nor does it make it more sim. As far as the controls are concerned, the easier and more seemless they are, the better. No matter what the game is. You don't want to make the controls so easy that you dumb down the game ; you also don't need difficulty for the sake of difficulty. The R2 or RB buttons makes the feature the easiest to operate ; x's and o's still matter, QB's get punished for locking onto WRs and awareness matters. That's the purpose of the cone ; there's no need to make the controls ultra difficult and/or akward.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »