Home

For those who use a 3-4 defense

This is a discussion on For those who use a 3-4 defense within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
MVP

Saber's Arena

OVR: 15
For those who use a 3-4 defense

Have you had any luck with converting college defensive ends to outside linebackers? They seem to go down way too far (I assume because of the obvious lack of coverage skills for defensive linemen).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
MVP

Saber's Arena

Re: For those who use a 3-4 defense

Forgot to add a note: I've tried also assigning a coach that helps improve linebackers as well as tried finding a training staff that would also help improve my backers... but nothing really seems to help. I drafted Latroy Lamont in the first round and he dropped all the way to the 60s... even though he's like a mid 80s speed and strength I think.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 21

I'd suggest drafting LBs for your DEs. You can draft amazing LBs in the 4th-5th rounds, sign them to 7 yr deals, then turn them into 90+ OVR rookies at DE.

Also, draft LBs for your LBs. DEs will very rarely convert to LBs properly because of the ratings system, and they cost way more to sign.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 11-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
MVP

Saber's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro
I'd suggest drafting LBs for your DEs. You can draft amazing LBs in the 4th-5th rounds, sign them to 7 yr deals, then turn them into 90+ OVR rookies at DE.

Also, draft LBs for your LBs. DEs will very rarely convert to LBs properly because of the ratings system, and they cost way more to sign.
I've frequently converted CBs to Ss, LBs to DEs (I actually have more luck with MLBs since they usually have a higher strength rating which prevents the annoying pancakes) and DEs to DTs, but in the case of using 3-4 defense, I generally prefer to have bigger/stronger outside linebackers but never really have much luck in drafting such.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Banned

jesse_8711's Arena

OVR: 5

ya im struggling with the exact same problem; if anybody has any suggestions please share it with us
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
MVP

Saber's Arena

in converting Lamont he didn't increase 3 of 5 years and finished as a 79 overall before I gave up on him... I'm beginning to think there's no chance of drafting the next great DE turned OLB.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber
in converting Lamont he didn't increase 3 of 5 years and finished as a 79 overall before I gave up on him... I'm beginning to think there's no chance of drafting the next great DE turned OLB.
Looks like the only option is to draft OLB's out of college if the 3-4 defense is being used. Every attempt I have made to switch a DE to OLB has caused WAY too much of a drop off in ratings. The way progression works I'm guessing we'd be much better off sticking with college LB's to fill the OLB role of the 3-4?

Now at the D-line positions, I think we can draft either bigger DE's or DT's to fill those roles as both ratings seem to transfer for those positions.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

not sure if its really worth it. id say try converting LBs to DE, maybe DT to DEs if you do 3-4, i have a 49ers franchise i did that with, bumped the guy from 66 DE to like 77 DT. ive done that, especially w/ ravens, Haloti Ngata is like 89 DE but 99 DT wtf!!! also ive notcied certain DEs are better DTs, not sure why. another good one is Brian Orakpo, olb is like 80 but De is like 94 or something, got 30 sacks with him one year (11 sacks 1st two games i started him in) and they were all CPU sacks. next year it evened out, i guess the cpu gameplaned for him cause this year its much better.

another thing, i almost always use 3-4, and when you convert the Lbs to DE, it really is like having 6 LBs on the field. the key is having good MLBs and DT to make sure middle wont be over run.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »