Home

Spectacular Catch rating?

This is a discussion on Spectacular Catch rating? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Spectacular Catch rating?

30 is a bit low, but you're absolutely right. he leads the league in 'balls to the face' (do with that term what you like).
Old 01-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Actually irl, Braylon Edwards had like 6 or 8 drops this season. I saw the stat during the playoff game. Thats about half the drops he's had in previous seasons played.

Go to practice mode(no defense), and just practice throwing a bunch of different routes to him. Now the key to spectacular catching is switching to the WR while the balls in the air and hitting the right analog stick in the correct direction(not the left analog stick) and hold/tap catch button.
I've doubled my yards to my WR's after just a few hours of user catching practice.
Its well worth it.
I know some belive they shouldn't have to switch to make spectacular plays, but EA wants players to be rewarded for user stick skills, they've always been that way.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Actually irl, Braylon Edwards had like 6 or 8 drops this season. I saw the stat during the playoff game. Thats about half the drops he's had in previous seasons played.

Go to practice mode(no defense), and just practice throwing a bunch of different routes to him. Now the key to spectacular catching is switching to the WR while the balls in the air and hitting the right analog stick in the correct direction(not the left analog stick) and hold/tap catch button.
I've doubled my yards to my WR's after just a few hours of user catching practice.
Its well worth it.
I know some belive they shouldn't have to switch to make spectacular plays, but EA wants players to be rewarded for user stick skills, they've always been that way.
I'm assuming you mean to flick the stick first THEN hit catch? I don't think you'd be able to do both simultaneously very easy given that the controls are both mapped on the right side of the controller.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
Banned

dfos81's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I'm assuming you mean to flick the stick first THEN hit catch? I don't think you'd be able to do both simultaneously very easy given that the controls are both mapped on the right side of the controller.
Its not easy, flicking it either. I've had to use my right thumb and index finger almost simultaneously to get the spectacular animations. EA just changed it this season to make it more difficult to user/rocket catch. Its still in the game.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Its not easy, flicking it either. I've had to use my right thumb and index finger almost simultaneously to get the spectacular animations. EA just changed it this season to make it more difficult to user/rocket catch. Its still in the game.
It's odd that they require the R-stick to be used for rocket catches despite the manual saying you just want to tap the Y button. I've read some about the R stick in the past too so I don't doubt you.

Which way do you flick the stick and why? I'm in practice mode right now kind of tooling around with this.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
Banned

dfos81's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
It's odd that they require the R-stick to be used for rocket catches despite the manual saying you just want to tap the Y button. I've read some about the R stick in the past too so I don't doubt you.

Which way do you flick the stick and why? I'm in practice mode right now kind of tooling around with this.
Try hitting it in the direction that you want the WR to go. If your leading the WR over the middle going left to right, then hit to the right. If the ball is underthrown, hit it down, and he should turn around, kinda like the old strafe catch, and go into rocket catch animation, etc, etc.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
Pro

MrSkagTrendy's Arena

OVR: 9

I wanna see you doing this in the game please, I'm intrigued
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #16
MVP

I tried some R stick stuff, and really didn't notice much for variance in animations from just hitting Y alone, but it was a pretty small sample set.

Regardless, it isn't easy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »