Home

Is Speed Rating what's killing Madden

This is a discussion on Is Speed Rating what's killing Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 31
Is Speed Rating what's killing Madden

When you really think about it the Speed Rating in Madden seems like it is just wrong !! The way it is scaled now really seems to serve one purpose....If you make the players faster, seemingly that makes them perform better.
And my conclusion is the problem lies within the Speed Rating.

Basically I see it like this...

The "Fastest" guy in the Madden is rated 99, and for the record he ran a 4.24 (40 yd dash)... then as they trickle down to the Linemen, they are on the low end in Madden, rated around 50.
Now to us (Madden players) this does seem normal, but that does not make it right !

Usually the slowest times turned in at the Combines is around 5.1 to 5.3 seconds.....So if you really think about it, that's 1 second !....say the word "one"..........yep, thats how much faster the Fastest Player is compared to the Slowest Player, when it comes to running 40 Yards !

I think the Speed rating should have a much smaller scale, 12-99 does not work, and until that is realized, how can they possibly make the game work properly, if that scale is not right.

Other factors need to play into making a player better than others, not just making them faster !

Use the other ratings, and use them on the 12-99 scale, to show the difference between a good and bad player !
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Is Speed Rating what's killing Madden

The speed rating is dominant in Madden because players run at full speed all the time.

Until there is a realistic model in place for acceleration and locomotion, nothing will change.

As long as players are able to turn on a dime and accelerate instantly in Madden, all the players on the field will be running at full speed the entire play, thus the speed rating will be felt a lot more than it should.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 18

I have a few replies:

You want a smaler scale, even though they only use ratings 50-99 in the speed category already??

40 times involve speed AND acceleration.

I agree with you on this "If you make the players faster, seemingly that makes them perform better."
Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
MVP

I Peench's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
The speed rating is dominant in Madden because players run at full speed all the time.
This
Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang911
You want a smaler scale, even though they only use ratings 50-99 in the speed category already??

40 times involve speed AND acceleration.
I guess how I meant it all to come out...in a nutshell, I do not think Players Speed in the NFL is that far spread out (1 second from the Fastest to the Slowest, in not a huge differential... and this is in more areas than just the 40 yd dash....3-cone, 20 yd shuttle...all are about 1 second diff between Fastest and Slowest)

SO Madden makes it wider that than it really is, to make players seem on a different level than others.

But really it should be in other ratings that you see HUGE spreads, and that is what will make the players different.

Last edited by Finsfan46; 03-30-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

To be very honest speed in the game doesn't really bother me. I been playing with this speed for 20 year plus. It's just a game to me. I just love having fun. I think the speed thing is fine in madden
Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

I agree. It not that unusual to see an o-line man pull to lead block and actually run down the field with the back for a few seconds.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Actually, you are right about the difference between players speeds. I remember a TMQ article when some one broke down the math about the distances covered by a guy running a 4.5 and a guy running 4.3, basically it worked out the 4.3 guy was 2 inches ahead of the guy running the 4.5. After 100 yards a little over 5 inches.

The major problem with maddens speed rating is calculation. The go by a 40 time that actually show acceleration more than speed. take a look at this: since the theoretical top speed a human can achieve is 30 mph, the math on Usain Bolts Olympic time was a top speed of 27.45 mph, but his average speed was 23.35 mph. So which do we use?

Obviously, the acceleration needs to come in to play, but the have an acceleration rating, it just doesn't seem to do anything. This is a real problem for defensive backs, who on average have great speed (top end) but usually are not trained to accelerate very quickly from a dead stop as running back or wide out, since they have to react most of the time. Look at the One of the Packers Vikings game (forgot which one) when Percy Harvin (97 spd) broke a long kick off return and was gone. But wait here comes Nick Collins (89), and crash into him from behind.

This also causes an issue with line backers, who in general run right around that same 23 mph mark just like the supposedly "faster" i.e. quicker players.

Frankly I would if I were in control I would make the spd = 24 mph hard capped and make it so every single player achieves that speed, BUT (see big BUT so you know to read and think before dismissal) tie it heavily to acceleration, so the points of reaching that speed are drastically different.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »