Home

Are these being addressed?

This is a discussion on Are these being addressed? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
Are these being addressed?

Ok, so Madden has taken huge strides in the realism aspect of gameplay. I respect that, as I have been a fan of this Franchise for years. I know they're doing their best to fix all the bugs and whatnot... but I still see TOO much annoying stuff. I'm not posting this to be negative, I'm posting this to critique and give my own insight to possibly help.

- @1:57 mark in the video - After the pass, the CB gets completely lost for a moment, before heading towards the receiver again. He was just running along side him. From what I could see though, it didn't look like he was watching the WR. Isn't that the point of the whole "procedural awareness" technology they put in? So the CB blindly covers the WR, then gets lost and runs the wrong way before chasing him down?... That's just ugly looking. :/

- @2:06 mark in the video - Chris Johnson seems to be running almost weightless. And just makes a weird cut after the broken tackle. Looks like he moves without a step or two being taken. That could be incredibly annoying to see during a game. And from all the videos I've seen (as well as other points in this video), it always looks like the players are on ice skates. I can't really explain it, but they seem TOO (for lack of a better word) "light". I don't get the sense that the players are really planting on the grass/turf with each step.

- @1:47 mark in the video - Watch the CB covering Colston on this play... And notice that he doesn't look at Colston once, but still knows where he's running. This has been in Madden for FAR too long. It's incredibly ugly to see in the game, year in and year out. Get some new DB mocap going with realistic back-pedaling, and slight contact or blatant contact.

- @3:04 mark in the video - By far my favorite part in the video... but still raises questions for me. Which I will touch in the next section.

- @:33, 1:04 marks in the video -
One of my biggest gripes in Madden 09 and 10 is that the WR almost never makes an aggressive play on the ball, and always played out an animation that would take them out of the play (more often than not). I'm tired of even the elite WR's not being able to go up and get a ball at it's highest point. It's ridiculous, and is partially why it doesn't matter if you have Larry Fitzgerald or Wes Welker running a deep pattern. It would really help gameplay seem a lot more realistic if the big, aggressive receivers played realistically. As of now, height and jump rating doesn't matter in Madden. That = unauthentic.

*this is a video I uploaded a while back. I think this shows off some things that are missing in Madden. And I hope to see a majority of catches like these in Madden 11. Sure they're not perfect, but at least they happen!

Last edited by xNYGx; 05-01-2010 at 01:59 AM. Reason: added a video
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Are these being addressed?

I noticed those things in the videos too. The CJ ice skate is something we had in last gen with their locomotion system. But last gen was a good system, so maybe... . It still all looks good. I do see the players sliding around, but to be honest, I somewhat like the look anyways still. Locomotion looks great.

Also, I think the CB covering Colston might have been in zone, but it still wasn't pretty. He turned his back to the QB and cut like a WR. DBs aren't supposed to do that. Your supposed to keep the WR and QB in front of you as long as you can.

Theres still time to tweak these things, and I hope they do. Also, the WR thing, they did say the catch debugging tool has helped them make WRs more aggressive. I hope they are very aggressive like in the APF 2k8 video. Not much I can say about this yet.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 04-27-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

I understand what you are saying. But you just can't let those little things get to you. I absolutely hate it when you can tell when the animation "kicks" in, cause they slow down and then the animation kicks in then once it's over they speed back up. But I try not to let it bother me at all.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

One more thing, I REALLY REALLY like the way locomotion has changed the run game. It looks more fluid and realistic.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Also, I think the CB covering Colston might have been in zone, but it still wasn't pretty. He turned his back to the QB and cut like a WR. DBs are supposed to do that. Your supposed to keep the WR and QB in front of you as long as you can.
Even if he was in zone coverage (which it didn't seem to me), considering the spot of the ball on the field, there would be no reason at all for him to turn his back. They were too close to the endzone. But yea, I concur... not pretty.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 8

I just want to say Ive never seen this forum so focused on gameplay, I myself have made a thread bout gameplay issues today that need to be addressed and several others have been made as well. Last year the forums were split 50/50 between gameplay and presentation however this year everyone really seems to be stressing gameplay myself included (more of a presentation guy last year). I wish the devs were here this year to read our comments because I love the points being brought up and HOPE the dev team knows about them.

Last edited by johnnyg713; 04-27-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
I just want to say Ive never seen this forum so focused on gameplay, I myself have made a thread bout gameplay issues today that need to be addressed and several others have been made as well. Last year the forums were split 50/50 between gameplay and presentation however this year everyone really seems to be stressing gameplay myself included (more of a presentation guy last year). I wish the devs were here this year to read our comments because I love the points being brought up and HOPE the dev team knows about them.
I think they do check in every now and then. But aren't posting much, probably for their own good. Presentation elements are still in need of upgrade, but it has taken the passenger seat to Gameplay. And I'm fine with that... For now.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYGx
Presentation elements are still in need of upgrade, but it has taken the passenger seat to Gameplan. And I'm fine with that... For now.
fixed

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »