Home

Madden's developers vs other developers (comparison)

This is a discussion on Madden's developers vs other developers (comparison) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 10
Re: Madden's developers vs other developers (comparison)

I have never watched a full college game in my life.
I can't name over three NCAA players or teams.
Yet this year I am buying NCAA over madden.
Simply because it looks more work was put into it to make it better, rather then one big future that may or not be that good.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #58
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

I would dare say that it is easier to make a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game than a football game.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
You lost me at HMX being one of the best...not only do they flood the market just like Guitar Hero with skus, they also are the kings of putting in amazing bands but rarely their biggest hits.
Rarely their biggest hits? I suppose that's a matter of opinion. Do you care to give some examples?

The game and DLC available TODAY features HUGE HITS from bands/acts like Journey, Boston, Queen, Styx, REO Speedwagon, The Who, Rush, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lady Gaga, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Boston, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Jethro Tull, Pearl Jam, No Doubt, Green Day, Allman Brothers Band, Foreigner, The Guess Who, The Zombies, Blue Oyster Cult, Jimi Hendrix, Elton John, David Bowie, and the list just goes on and on

ALL of the above mentioned bands have at LEAST one of their top "hits" in the game, MOST have SEVERAL

Sorry to take my own thread off track but I just have to point out what I see as a total misrepresentation
Old 06-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #60
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Guys, be very careful with how you approach developer talk and the calling out of developers by name.

I don't want to be the guy that tells you you can't be frustrated with a title - and I'm giving you leeway here to express frustration in a constructive way - but do not call out developers here.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #61
Banned

OVR: 13

To be fair, I can't really compare Madden's devs to other game's devs because I don't take as much interest in the development of other games as I do Madden but and this is a big BUT... somebody mentioned this earlier and it's true, we all remember the vid of Ian talking about madden 07 or 08 like it was the greatest thing ever and he has since admitted that Madden 10 was so much better than 09 because 09 was essentially broken (I'm assuming 07 or 08 were far worse than 09) and now Madden 11 is so much better because of locomotion, that is until next year when Madden 12 will be so much better than M11 because they'll admit that M11 had a number of broken parts.

My point is, if the previous iterations of Madden were so bad/broken, can I have my money back?

Any other product that I buy in shops that doesn't work as advertised is against some sort of law. Now if the Head designer/creative designer is saying that those games were broken (I can find quotes if necessary) then surely I should be reimbursed.

It just feels that every year, they admit that something was seriously broken the year before and that now it's fixed, I get we should be happy it's fixed which I am but why was I screwed out of my hard earned money based off of lies and what I assume is either incompetence or apathy by the devs.

Using Backbreaker as an example, everyone that's played the game can see that there are parts of the game that are just broken and if/when (??) Backbreaker 2 is released, they will tell us that this or that were completely broken in Backbreaker (1) and we'll just be happy that they've fixed it. Why are they allowed to release a game that's broken, they know it's broken, the publisher's know it's broken, we know it's broken but only know and find out once we've payed money for it.

IMO, Backbreaker should not have been released in the state it is in and neither should a number of the early next gen Madden Iterations and yet there's nothing we can do about it despite devs admitting they were broken.

I've literally reached my wits end and I don't think I'll be buying either Madden or BB this year which is a real shame but I've just had enough of the games, the devs, the publishers and the reviewers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #62
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbowski
To be fair, I can't really compare Madden's devs to other game's devs because I don't take as much interest in the development of other games as I do Madden but and this is a big BUT... somebody mentioned this earlier and it's true, we all remember the vid of Ian talking about madden 07 or 08 like it was the greatest thing ever and he has since admitted that Madden 10 was so much better than 09 because 09 was essentially broken (I'm assuming 07 or 08 were far worse than 09) and now Madden 11 is so much better because of locomotion, that is until next year when Madden 12 will be so much better than M11 because they'll admit that M11 had a number of broken parts.

My point is, if the previous iterations of Madden were so bad/broken, can I have my money back?

Any other product that I buy in shops that doesn't work as advertised is against some sort of law. Now if the Head designer/creative designer is saying that those games were broken (I can find quotes if necessary) then surely I should be reimbursed.

It just feels that every year, they admit that something was seriously broken the year before and that now it's fixed, I get we should be happy it's fixed which I am but why was I screwed out of my hard earned money based off of lies and what I assume is either incompetence or apathy by the devs.

Using Backbreaker as an example, everyone that's played the game can see that there are parts of the game that are just broken and if/when (??) Backbreaker 2 is released, they will tell us that this or that were completely broken in Backbreaker (1) and we'll just be happy that they've fixed it. Why are they allowed to release a game that's broken, they know it's broken, the publisher's know it's broken, we know it's broken but only know and find out once we've payed money for it.

IMO, Backbreaker should not have been released in the state it is in and neither should a number of the early next gen Madden Iterations and yet there's nothing we can do about it despite devs admitting they were broken.

I've literally reached my wits end and I don't think I'll be buying either Madden or BB this year which is a real shame but I've just had enough of the games, the devs, the publishers and the reviewers.
Simple solution.

Play the demo and or rent. I did and didn't look back at all. Or pick out the games in a bargain bin down the road.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #63
Banned

OVR: 12

I personally do think there WAS some passion on the team, but this year does seem lacking (a shut up and collect my pay check attitude).

I think the problem is coming from the people leading the team.

They are they ones that pick the direction the games is heading and therein lies the problem.

I mean look at this:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...8-what-if.html

How can you watch that and get you excited about the game?

The only people that pay attention to E3 are hardcore or industry type people. I don't feel this is going to get either of those people excited about the game and this is coming from the top person leading Madden's direction.

Last edited by stux; 06-16-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #64
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I would dare say that it is easier to make a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game than a football game.
I have to agree here. There is not much one can do to improve a game based on rhythm and matching finger presses to beats. You pretty much have nailed in 1st or 2nd time around. It is a very rudimentary game.

However, this does not absolve the madden dev team from 'getting it'. They still seem to miss the mark even when they are trying to get better.

I sometimes think that a possible lockout next year in the NFL will allow a two year dev cycle on the game which would give them enough time to rebuild from scratch.

That is, simply put, the only way its going to get better. It has to be a whole new game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »