Home

Auto Sprint or Turbo Button?

This is a discussion on Auto Sprint or Turbo Button? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Auto Sprint or Turbo Button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers1
Madden 10 didn't have the new locomotion.

Auto-sprint all the way for me. No more magically shedded blocks due to the sprint button.

To make the auto-sprint meaningful, there has to be more than one speed you can run without sprinting. Preferably, I'd have at least 3 separate 'gears' a ball carrier can hit (walk, jog, run, sprint). Right now, Madden 10 has ZERO ANALOG CONTROL for ball carriers. Meaning you can stop, run speed 1, or sprint.

The new locomotion marketing info implies the there will be more emphasis on acceleration and momentum. Planting a foot will mean something, as well as regaining top speed after a cut... But there is NOTHING in any of the posts regarding locomotion that states offensive players will run at more than the 2 speeds they currently run.

There's leaning and twisting on the right stick, but no indications that the left stick functions are changing.

Later
Old 07-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #34
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
Me too fellas. I hate when people just sit on the turbo button anyway. Auto is easily more realistic.
More realistic?

IRL, I'm sure the ball carrier decides when to run with control and when to open the afterburners. I'm beginning to think that many of the people looking for the auto-sprint might also be the same guys looking for auto-everything else too. They seem to want the AI to sprint, cover, catch, tackle, rush, etc...

Believe it or not, some of us actually PLAY this game instead of watching it...

Having the CPU do everything isn't going to move this game to a point where realism is realized. If anything it's simply going to widen the gap between guys who watch and guys that play.

Later
Old 07-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
More realistic?

IRL, I'm sure the ball carrier decides when to run with control and when to open the afterburners. I'm beginning to think that many of the people looking for the auto-sprint might also be the same guys looking for auto-everything else too. They seem to want the AI to sprint, cover, catch, tackle, rush, etc...

Believe it or not, some of us actually PLAY this game instead of watching it...

Having the CPU do everything isn't going to move this game to a point where realism is realized. If anything it's simply going to widen the gap between guys who watch and guys that play.

Later
lol you're getting more ridiculous every post. The CPU isn't sprinting for us. How hard is that for you to get? THE. CPU. IS. NOT. SPRINTING. FOR. US.

We still pick and choose when we're sprinting. It just feels more realistic to me because when you hit the trigger you're guy in past Maddens would do a sort of hitch and then be in full speed. He wouldn't gain speed, he'd have a little ugly transition and be going 5 steps faster in under a second. From the NCAA Demo, pushing 50% then going all the way to 100%, you're player has to gain his speed and get to his top speed. He just doesn't go full speed instantly.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 34

I tried it NCAA Demo and hated it.

I want to move my player where I want to move him..I'll control how fast or slow I get thee myself..

I dont want to be concerend with how heavy Im pushing the LS while I am moving.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
lol you're getting more ridiculous every post. The CPU isn't sprinting for us. How hard is that for you to get? THE. CPU. IS. NOT. SPRINTING. FOR. US.

We still pick and choose when we're sprinting. It just feels more realistic to me because when you hit the trigger you're guy in past Maddens would do a sort of hitch and then be in full speed. He wouldn't gain speed, he'd have a little ugly transition and be going 5 steps faster in under a second. From the NCAA Demo, pushing 50% then going all the way to 100%, you're player has to gain his speed and get to his top speed. He just doesn't go full speed instantly.
I'll say this... I'm not playing the NCAA demo. When the Madden demo comes out, I'm not playing it either. I'm only playing with the FULL VERSION of the game because demos are misleading.

Beyond that, perhaps you are missing the point because I'm not implying that the CPU is going to decide what speed a player runs based on whatever the CPU decides to do.

What I am saying that in Madden 10, pushing the stick 50% does not mean you are running at 50% of a player's top speed. Pushing the stick 50% makes him run the same speed as if it's pressed 25% and there's no difference between 25% and 75%.

No 'gears' means that pressing the stick 100% may cause a back to sprint, but if pressing it 80% is the exact same as pressing the stick 20%, the sprint will merely be eye-candy that doesn't grant us any more control than we have now. Personally, I miss the days when a running 50% meant running at half speed...

If EA makes it seem that the Auto-Sprint is working simply by giving people stick access to sprinting, but makes no other adjustments to the speed players run while carrying the ball, it will be useless as there will still only be 2 running speeds but one less button to use to do it. Auto-Sprint or not, there should be more than 2 possible running speeds.

But on another note... How many steps does it take to go from a controlled run to an all out sprint?

I can go from a standing stop to my top speed in 5 steps and I'm a 36 year old man who still runs in the 4.5-4.6 range. I fully expect a professional athlete to be able to similar or better.

Needless to say, I'll find out how locomotion and Auto-Sprint are implemented on or before August 10th without wasting time with any of the available demos.

Later
Old 07-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #38
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I'll say this... I'm not playing the NCAA demo. When the Madden demo comes out, I'm not playing it either. I'm only playing with the FULL VERSION of the game because demos are misleading.

Beyond that, perhaps you are missing the point because I'm not implying that the CPU is going to decide what speed a player runs based on whatever the CPU decides to do.

What I am saying that in Madden 10, pushing the stick 50% does not mean you are running at 50% of a player's top speed. Pushing the stick 50% makes him run the same speed as if it's pressed 25% and there's no difference between 25% and 75%.

No 'gears' means that pressing the stick 100% may cause a back to sprint, but if pressing it 80% is the exact same as pressing the stick 20%, the sprint will merely be eye-candy that doesn't grant us any more control than we have now. Personally, I miss the days when a running 50% meant running at half speed...

If EA makes it seem that the Auto-Sprint is working simply by giving people stick access to sprinting, but makes no other adjustments to the speed players run while carrying the ball, it will be useless as there will still only be 2 running speeds but one less button to use to do it. Auto-Sprint or not, there should be more than 2 possible running speeds.

But on another note... How many steps does it take to go from a controlled run to an all out sprint?

I can go from a standing stop to my top speed in 5 steps and I'm a 36 year old man who still runs in the 4.5-4.6 range. I fully expect a professional athlete to be able to similar or better.

Needless to say, I'll find out how locomotion and Auto-Sprint are implemented on or before August 10th without wasting time with any of the available demos.

Later
This doesn't make any sense. A completely new locomotion system was implemented for Madden and NCAA this year. You are basing all these assumptions on last year's version of the game. It's obviously an important issue for you, but instead of spending the short amount of time it would take to download the demo and find out for sure, you'd rather argue on a message board and basically tell everyone who has played the NCAA demo that they are lying and would rather 'watch' the game than 'play' due to your experience with Madden 10?

I just played the demo again, and I can definitely tell a difference between when I want to jog or sprint. When I was playing defense it was obvious and easy to test, and on offense, the easy way to test is to switch to a WR, and when I did that is was also obvious that it is analog. It gives the user more control and doesn't take it away. Nobody is saying that Madden 10 was analog, but that was a completely different game.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Five steps to your top speed? Most players don't even start to hit their top speed in a 40 until the last 10 yards or so. I play WR and DB and I don't know of a single person that can reach their top speed in 5 steps.

And we are talking about Madden 11 and not Madden 10. Madden 10 did not have this new locomotion system like Madden 11. Madden 10 did not have dual stick controls like Madden 11. See where I am going?

― Plato
Old 07-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Five steps to your top speed? Most players don't even start to hit their top speed in a 40 until the last 10 yards or so. I play WR and DB and I don't know of a single person that can reach their top speed in 5 steps.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I can reach my top speed in 5 steps. I'm not slow by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm far quicker than I am fast.

In particular I can run full speed and do a 180 degree cut and be moving full speed again in less than 5 steps I lower my center of gravity by ducking, doing a 'kneel-down', then twist 180 degrees before my back knee hits the ground, then I explode out of the crouch and head 180 degrees the other direction and it's off to the races (did this to a buddy of mine who played WR at Howard and he sprained his ankle trying to stop... LOL).

Also, it may be important to know that I'm a mere 5'6" and 130 lbs and have proportionally large legs (bike riding, basketball, and walking 2 miles a day).

Quote:
And we are talking about Madden 11 and not Madden 10. Madden 10 did not have this new locomotion system like Madden 11. Madden 10 did not have dual stick controls like Madden 11. See where I am going?
Dual Stick control isn't new to Madden. It's been around as early as Madden '04.

In Madden 10, you can perform jukes, back jukes, truck animations, and spins with the right stick with the same stick action as the 'dual stick' videos this year. Try it... go to practice mode, hand off the ball and spin the right stick. You'll notice the ball carrier is spinning the same direction you rotate the sticks.

The differences are that Madden 11 will allow twisting and leaning with the right stick that are new to Madden.

I find that often EA markets things for new games that have been around for previous versions. Just because we weren't told about something doesn't mean it's not in the game.

In NCAA try to run at 25%, 50%, 75%, and an all out sprint with the ball carrier with 4 different speeds as a result. In Madden 10, this range of speeds did not exist for ball carriers. Practically all other positions can use speed ranges, but the ball carrier can't. he's stuck at Stop, Run, and Sprint.

Either way... I'll find out with the full version when it arrives...

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »