Home

If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

This is a discussion on If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in an option to hide ratings for franchise?
Yes, I would definitely use it. 228 56.16%
I might try it out, but I don't need it. 71 17.49%
An option wouldn't hurt, but its not for me. 54 13.30%
No, I would not want to see this in Madden. 53 13.05%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

Would absolutely love this feature. I try not to look at overall ratings but I mean come on, every steals a peak.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #26
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

I would absolutely LOVE this feature in a Madden game (or all sports games for that matter). I'm not saying that we should hide every rating, unless there are some highly accurate coaching tips (like the ones listed for Laron Landry, for example)...but even that can be a little vague...An interesting thought that popped into my head just now is a player comparison screen--either like they used to have in Madden during the draft (comparing the draft prospect to an established Madden veteran), or one where you compare, like you would with so many retail stores online, comparing two similar products--two quarterbacks for example...it gives a checkmark to which quarterback has the stronger arm (for those who want a vertical passing attack), and a check mark to the QB who is more accurate at the various distances (short, med, deep), because coaches CAN see that...so it wouldn't be going in blind for franchise players, as we'd have something to compare player to player, but it still leaves all of the onus on the player as far as determining who is better for their scheme, not just "Oh this player has a higher arbitrary number, so he's better."

For the time being, until they could competently implement something like that, I'd take the option of hiding the overall...

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart
Old 07-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
There has been a discussion in another topic about rating being hidden in franchise mode. I for one support this option. I would love to base a player's value to my team on his performance and not his "rating". I think it would also make trading with the CPU a lot more realistic if they tuned it.

With ratings turned off, the CPU wouldn't go for WR 1 who is 90 overall, but has 20 catches and 10 drops for 165 yards and 0 TD's instead of WR 2 who is a 83 overall, but has 67 catches, 1200 yards and 8 TDs. They would take the player who is doing better in the season.

EA could also implement a value bar for a player. Instead of ratings determining how much a team would be willing to trade for a player, it would be his value. If Colt Brennan is having an awesome year with 70% completion, 25 TDs, and only 3 INTs then his value would be high to the Redskins. If they tried to trade him though to a team like the Colts with a superstar QB his value bar would be very low for them, but trading him somewhere with a struggling QB like Oakland might make his value bar go up even more for them than the Redskins and they will likely try and snag him from you. Now, if Campbell is having a great year too, then his value would be high and Colt's would be low to them. I think past seasons should be a part of the value too. If I am having a great year with a player, but his past seasons have shown inconsistencies, then his value shouldn't be as high as someone who has had a good season almost every season.

If any rating was to be shown at all, I think value should be the only one. I would also like to mention I did not come up with the whole idea of values, some fellow OS'er did.

This would also be a nice addition draft time. No more knowing the rookie's potential and rating before he ever plays, now you would have to play him and see how well he is. I would also like it if potential was hidden from the user along with every rating of course, but it also changed year to year. If a player has a tremendous rookie season then he would show a lot of potential and could progress a lot going into his 2nd year, then he may have sophomore struggles and after his 2nd year his potential would drop and he would progress very little if at all. By the 4th or 5th year, the potential would get a lot harder to change. Two good seasons may raise it a bit or a hall of fame record setting season may move it in one year a bit.

It would be nice to draft rookies based on their measurables and based on what your team scout says about the guy and maybe even footage somehow.

So, would you be interested at all? Please vote and leave comments.
Sigh....Now I know how you guys are and how you want to slit someones throat just for mentioning 2K5 but uhh isn't that exactly how things worked in 2K5 franchise with the value bar and everything? Please don't hesitate in correcting me Its been a while since I played it.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #28
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

A point I haven't seen anyone mention, though I haven't read all the posts is, what about players who don't have stats, or much stats at all? Offensive linemen, Nose tackles in a 3-4 defense, etc. Madden has always favored the 4-3 defense anyway. they favor the #2 Dt and don't care about the #2 MLB where a 3-4 is the opposite. Also, pass rushing DEs are all that matter in Madden/to Madden.

This may looks and sound good for the "skill positions" like QR, RB, and WR, but even then the FB and blocking TEs wouldn't see any love. Why would the game value Mike Alstot type Full Backs over Lerenzo Neal and Tony Richardson? in the real NFL Neal and Richardson are the best FBs the NFL has seen in the last 20 years, MAYBE ever.

There are more questions than answers. i wouldn't mind hiding the OVR rating, and maybe even giving a "grade" on "skills" like route running, zone coverage, etc. Athletic ratings need to be known, their not really something you can hide, or are based off of scouting reports opinions.

Head Coach had a method of how a player was valued in your system. Frank Gore is a great HB, but in the Mike Martz offense he wasn't that useful and in HC09 he had a lower ratting in SF until you changed your scheme or traded him to a team that would use his skillz.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #29
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
A point I haven't seen anyone mention, though I haven't read all the posts is, what about players who don't have stats, or much stats at all? Offensive linemen, Nose tackles in a 3-4 defense, etc. Madden has always favored the 4-3 defense anyway. they favor the #2 Dt and don't care about the #2 MLB where a 3-4 is the opposite. Also, pass rushing DEs are all that matter in Madden/to Madden.

This may looks and sound good for the "skill positions" like QR, RB, and WR, but even then the FB and blocking TEs wouldn't see any love. Why would the game value Mike Alstot type Full Backs over Lerenzo Neal and Tony Richardson? in the real NFL Neal and Richardson are the best FBs the NFL has seen in the last 20 years, MAYBE ever.

There are more questions than answers. i wouldn't mind hiding the OVR rating, and maybe even giving a "grade" on "skills" like route running, zone coverage, etc. Athletic ratings need to be known, their not really something you can hide, or are based off of scouting reports opinions.

Head Coach had a method of how a player was valued in your system. Frank Gore is a great HB, but in the Mike Martz offense he wasn't that useful and in HC09 he had a lower ratting in SF until you changed your scheme or traded him to a team that would use his skillz.
I think that's actually the point...by making it so that players are rated based on scheme (aside from measurables like speed, height, jumping, throw power, etc) those positions that don't get love (such as FB, NT) would have those ratings...if a player would make a great NT, he'd have a high "value" or "scheme fit" rating in a 3-4 defense...if he was more of a DT2 for a 4-3, he'd have a lower rating if he were on the Steelers, for example...if you play in a run-first offense (such as the Panthers) a FB would be of immense value...if you run primarily out of singleback formations, or shotgun spread, you don't really need a FB so they'd be rated lower...

We're not saying that players should be rated horribly if they have little/no stats, because they're not in a "sexy" position...we're saying players should be rated (with a "fit" or "value" rating instead of OVR) because they're good players in that scheme...I think HC 09 had something similar (D Sproles was higher rated as a scat back than trying to make him a between the tackles every down back, for instance)...something similar for Madden would be great...hiding ratings just makes it more realistic for scouting, making personnel decisions, etc...

Think about it: Player X is a DE...he's a natural pass rusher, with great finesse moves. The ratings are hidden, but you have some keys from a scout or coach talking up his pash rush abilities...this player has a higher fit or value in a 4-3 scheme as opposed to a 3-4...

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart

Last edited by Maelstrom-XIII; 07-15-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #30
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

@PG Maybe only the overall should be hidden, maybe leave physical attributes shown seeing as they can be measured but something has to change imo.
What's the point of position battles when you already know exactly how good everyone is. You don't need them back if we can still see ratings. If Tully Bata-Cain beat out A.Thomas in preseason last year you would just sub Thomas back in because his overalll tells you he's much better.
All the things you said would be a problem if all the ratings are hidden but it's been said before this only works with a very solid franchise mode. All the problems you mentioned are also problems with the ratings on for progression and such. I am expecting these to be fixed for M12 the year of the franchise.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 5

You could get around this by controlling all 32 teams, sign FA's based on production and edit attributes SLIGHTLY based on production. Alot of work but...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #32
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Judging by the poll there does seem to be interest in this. Still could use alot more votes so will keep it bumped around Maddens release.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »