Home

If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

This is a discussion on If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you be interested in an option to hide ratings for franchise?
Yes, I would definitely use it. 228 56.16%
I might try it out, but I don't need it. 71 17.49%
An option wouldn't hurt, but its not for me. 54 13.30%
No, I would not want to see this in Madden. 53 13.05%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: If there was an option to hide ratings would you be interested at all?

Would absolutely love this feature and would use it 100%. It's so boring just looking at numbers that the players have, and incredibly unrealistic.

I mean, try looking at it as a sort of dice roll, but a dice with a lot more sides.

Each time you throw the ball for the wide receiver to catch, the dice is rolled to determine the outcome. Now a WR with 90 catching would have more 'catch' sides on the dice than a player with a 40 rating.
This means that even though the 40 WR has a lower rating, he could still catch all the ball thrown at him, and the 90 rated WR could hypothetically catch none at all.
Which is not far off to reality (obviously a lot less complex but still follows similar principles).

So, in this situation, who is the better receiver, the guy who caught every ball that was thrown to him in the season? Or the guy who has the higher 'rating'?

In real life, the guy who caught all the balls would have his value rocketed and would be known as the best WR, and the other player would be dropped by his team and unwanted by most other teams.

So this is what hiding ratings would mean, as it would force you to look at performance in the form of stats, rather than ratings, which is the more realistic method and is exactly how it is done in real life.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:21 AM   #34
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Just wondering if you guys that would use this in Madden would use it in Ncaa? As much as I love the idea my knowledge of the college game is nowhere near the Nfl and with 120 teams and a billion players I don't know I would use it.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #35
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

I'd hate hidden ratings! Coaches know who's fast, strong, who has hands, ect.

If any, hide the mental ratings for rookies for a few games.

For the folks that want ratings hidden, what would you base trades on? How would you draft? You wouldn't want to know if a WR is fast and has hands? You wouldn't want to know if a back has speed, power, ect?

Nah, I'm not feeling the hidden ratings.

Now if you want to nix the overall rating, I'm all for it. Replace that with the value rating you all are talking about, and have it change based on a team's philosophies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #36
Pro

rooney8's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'd hate hidden ratings! Coaches know who's fast, strong, who has hands, ect.

And how do they know? The Raiders now know Russell was a huge bust because they had him for 3 seasons. In Madden you draft a bust you know immediately because a number tells you. Since you know he's a bust you never play him and maybe cut him immediately. Nothing near the consequences of real life.

If any, hide the mental ratings for rookies for a few games.

People have said maybe leave physical attributes visible as they can be measured. No reason not to have an option for both as hiding ratings from the user is crazy easy to implement.

For the folks that want ratings hidden, what would you base trades on?

The value of the player to my team. The stats he has put up. From playing against him. What my scouts say. And like coaches in the Nfl I know how good most players are from seeing them in real life. If I am trading for Larry Fitzgerald I won't be sitting there soiling myself in confusion. It's Larry Fitz I know what he can do.

How would you draft? You wouldn't want to know if a WR is fast and has hands? You wouldn't want to know if a back has speed, power, ect?

I would want to know so I would look at how he did at the combine and read what my scouts have to say. It would be great if I could rank players on a draft board before the draft.

Nah, I'm not feeling the hidden ratings.

I hope I have opened your eyes.

Now if you want to nix the overall rating, I'm all for it. Replace that with the value rating you all are talking about, and have it change based on a team's philosophies.

This is the minimum. This should be the way it is from default but I want an option to go all the way.
Thanks for the reply. Very few if any no voters gave reasons.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #37
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

Online games/ Play now --- shown; nothing hidden. No need for these to be changed IMO

Franchise games
-- true ratings hidden. Self Explanatory.
-- staff based ratings shown--(coaches/scouts) Opinions of players abilites are not unanimous, even though sometimes close. This will allow you to gamble a bit. Also, hire new staff if they aren't 'getting it right' enough for you.
-- overall replaced w/ Letter Grades (A+ being the highest), but immediately next to it the value rating is shown (similar to what was shown on PS2 madden on trades) So even though Brady may be available @ A+ overall, his value would be low considering you have Peyton Manning at Starting QB. This probably would help the CPU pick players also.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #38
Rookie

Bull_Dozer's Arena

OVR: 5

Actually, yeah I would be in favor of hiding ratings.... IF:

They could get in-game scouting to the point of almost life like realism. And of course there would have to be all the various drills to put players through to see how they perform. But in those drills, their times would vary, just like in real life... take a player and run the 40 ten different times, his 40 time is not gonna be the exact same each time.

So in the end, I'm not sure it would be worth it to hide ratings, seems like a lot of work for not much improvement to the game. I'd prefer they spend their time on other things for madden 12.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #39
Pro

rooney8's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Dozer
Actually, yeah I would be in favor of hiding ratings.... IF:

They could get in-game scouting to the point of almost life like realism. And of course there would have to be all the various drills to put players through to see how they perform. But in those drills, their times would vary, just like in real life... take a player and run the 40 ten different times, his 40 time is not gonna be the exact same each time.

So in the end, I'm not sure it would be worth it to hide ratings, seems like a lot of work for not much improvement to the game. I'd prefer they spend their time on other things for madden 12.
The actual hiding of the ratings from the user would be very simple but the things that would need to go along with it would take alot of work. But when there rebuilding franchise mode then why not expect great new scouting and everything else were calling for.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #40
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

I am ok with hiding them if they are replaced with satisfying ways to evaluate players both new and old, preferably by managing a coaching staff and the skills of the staff I hire.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »