Home

Presentation

This is a discussion on Presentation within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #25

OVR: 34
Re: Presentation

Presentation is big to me. If you are wondering why Madden has become stale and lifeless, you can blame their presentation department. If done right, presentation can give a game soul, making you hold off on hitting that A button to skip through.

Forget about NFL 2K5 for a second. Take a look at NBA 2K10 and MLB 2K10. Look at the MLB Today feature and how they pull from real time stats and updates.

How nice of a touch would that be in an NFL video game? How impressive would it be to hear the commentator mention Vince Young's performance last week or maybe break down who's leading the league in rushing? Imagine an NFL Today mode and all you could do with that.

Lately I feel like I've been hard on Madden, but presentation is one of those areas they simply don't get. Other sports games are raising the bar while the Madden team doesn't even seem to have much concern about it, but I guarantee that if they added a feature like NBA Today, Madden would lose that stale/boring thing it has going now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeclone
These are the things that kill me about EA. They have done great presentation in other games... Recently they did NCAA basketball with two broadcast booths and two types of stat overlays which were AWESOME with CBS and ESPN.

I would like to know why EA can't have AFC games done with CBS presentation, NFC games done with FOX presentation and Monday night games with ESPN presentation. Why would that be so hard for them to do that when they did that for another one of it's games that they just threw out the window BTW.

These are the things that really irk people about EA. We know you CAN do it, but don't for some unknown reason.
This is the point I made in another thread. Honestly I DONT think EA can do it I simply dont believe that one year is enough to make a quality football games with a complete overhaul that madden needs. I just dont think it could be done :/ you guys think ea isnt on these threads right now? you dont think they know what we want? Do you know how much money EA would make with a football game with cbs fox and ESPN presenetation with real time physics and a true franchise? theres a reason EA hasnt put this in yet its because they are expected to come out and deliver a quality football game in only 10 months....Its just not possible folks we are asking for to much
Old 08-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #27
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMike32v2
This is the point I made in another thread. Honestly I DONT think EA can do it I simply dont believe that one year is enough to make a quality football games with a complete overhaul that madden needs. I just dont think it could be done :/ you guys think ea isnt on these threads right now? you dont think they know what we want? Do you know how much money EA would make with a football game with cbs fox and ESPN presenetation with real time physics and a true franchise? theres a reason EA hasnt put this in yet its because they are expected to come out and deliver a quality football game in only 10 months....Its just not possible folks we are asking for to much
The time frame EA has to do madden in 1 year ain't completely in their hands. EA has some say. But the time frame is mainly NFL doing. I'm sure Madden Dev team would love to have a extra year to get the game done right. But the NFL would not allow it. But again I don't think a 1 year time frame should have anything to do with how good of a job they should be doing on madden. Look at NHL 11 and how good it is coming along in a 1 year time frame. Right now it's hard to pinpoint the problem. The gameplay this year is much better. Presentation is a upgrade from last year and offline franchise mode has hardly been touched. Maybe it's time madden crew to go back to the drawing board and start over and rethink things somewhat for a while. Whose know.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
The time frame EA has to do madden in 1 year ain't completely in their hands. EA has some say. But the time frame is mainly NFL doing. I'm sure Madden Dev team would love to have a extra year to get the game done right. But the NFL would not allow it. But again I don't think a 1 year time frame should have anything to do with how good of a job they should be doing on madden. Look at NHL 11 and how good it is coming along in a 1 year time frame. Right now it's hard to pinpoint the problem. The gameplay this year is much better. Presentation is a upgrade from last year and offline franchise mode has hardly been touched. Maybe it's time madden crew to go back to the drawing board and start over and rethink things somewhat for a while. Whose know.
Right I agree with you but I just dont like when people say that EA is trying to scam us i dont think those guys down at EA are sitting at a round table saying "Hey how can me scam all of our fans that are the only reason we are here today." They have made honest efforts to introduce physics into madden and some have worked and others havent. ProTak=gimmick Locomotion=The real deal
Old 08-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMike32v2
Its just not possible folks we are asking for to much

Not at all IMHO... I have watched all the vids, I've played the demo and I look at this product and say... What really was done with this game? Nothing really wows me in aspect of this game from 10 to 11. That was not the case last year. I saw quite a few things that were like, yeah, they really went to work on this thing.

And I can only compare this team with other dev teams. Just look at what the NCAA basketball team did with that games presentation in just one year. I remember when it came out, people were just floored at what they did with that. From the opening CBS heartbeat to the music to the stat banners it was just amazing. Sure the play by play was not too great, but I could listen to Gus say rise and fire 1,000 times a game with those banners and music. When people put that game in and started it up, they said, yeah, this is right. This is what I have been waiting for. When they put in Madden, after all these years, they look at like ... WTF is up with this games presentation? It's just flat and frankly quite boring.

And to say they only have one year? They could hire more devs and be working on 2013 right now. 2012 could be almost done and the next 6 months could be spent fixing and polishing. This whole thing about we only have a few months. My company works on projects 4-5 years down the road all the while while still devoting most resources to projects due this year. But, there are always guys at least laying the groundwork for things that are not going to be due for 4-5 years.

Last edited by Romeclone; 08-01-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Honestly, I trust Ian when he says this first year was about trying to have Gus say all the names, yard lines, and everything else that needs to be said. But, this following year, they can start to work on "banter" between Gus and Chris and have them doing lines together.
In my opinion it isn't just back and forth stuff between the two that is important. It's having some kind of real-time element to it. Talking about the next game, the previous game, the win-loss record; who's having a great year, etc. The kind of stuff some other sports games have developed.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #31
Rookie

sectiona21's Arena

OVR: 3

Well what the NCAA crew did in one year was pretty impressive. I couldn't get through a game of NCAA '10 or even '09. Then NCAA '11 comes along and I put it with one of the best sports games of all time.

I agree on the early comment about how the presentation of 2K5 really set people off for future Madden presentation. If it wasn't for 2K5, I think we're still having this discussion, but not at such a high level.

I have always thought that if EA really took a huge step forward in TV presentation, that they would really make a majority of the Madden players happy with the game, and probably not complain as much about some other small omitted details in the game. The only real step they have taken is with the cutscenes. Not only are there more of them each year, but more of them are of fans in and out of the stadium, players getting of the bus, sideline shots, that sort of stuff. I really feel that EA thinks this is what people want. Well I think we do want them, and in the year 2010, feel they should be in there. But what I really think Madden players want with presentation are things like stat overlays that pertain to our franchise. Not overlays that say the Superdome opened in 1975 or just general NFL tidbits. We want to see in game updates to other games in our franchise. Whether it be a nice play in another game or a update to a score that has an impact to my team say for playoff implications. Like I mentioned before, 2K5 has set the bar for presentation, but something like in game updates from around the league was something EA was doing in 1992 and 93. Just another great idea that EA has put into the game just to take it out for no reason whatsoever. And of course we want to see a halftime show and postgame show just like we saw 5 years ago now in 2K5.
I am shocked every year that EA continues to ignore these requests. Like I said, I'm not a game developer so I don't know what it takes to make it happen. But when you see the things we are asking for already accomplished in 1993 and 2005, you can understand the customers frustrations. My belief is I think EA can get this done and in one year. But I think with a game like Madden, these devs are looking to add features that will bring in new money, not satisfy money they already have. These guys aren't dumb. They know that us longtime Madden players will be in line at midnight each year on a night in August religiously. We might vent our frustrations on sites like this one, but at the end of the day, we still go buy the game. Madden for EA is about bringing in big time profit. To do this, they need to keep bringing in the new Madden player and the new money. So to attract that kid, they focus on the flashy things to include into the game each year. To make the game more appealing to try and then to go out and buy. That is why I think we haven't seen anything like 2K5 in terms of presentation in Madden to date.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #32
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

FYI...Joe Buck(FOX) turned down EA's request to do madden--per Ian cummings/Phil Fraizer (can't remember which said it)

guys, u gotta remember....there's videogame world and real world....big difference

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »