Home

Some of the defense is play calling, some is Bad A.I.

This is a discussion on Some of the defense is play calling, some is Bad A.I. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #25
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Some of the defense is play calling, some is Bad A.I.

I'd be happy if my safeties were in position to miss a tackle. My safeties like to wait for the WR to break their cushion before they turn & run. By the time I switch, he's already beat.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
LB, did you back off the coverage? 72 w/ 2 secs, i would have went prevent and backed off my coverage. just asking.

Second thing, since madden 10 even on multiplayer...while they line up and not set, i manually move my corner to the inside or manually back him off to protect at least one side of the line (especially if no safety help).

Oh, also i run some dbl teams then spotlight the other receiver. Then manually chuck the TE or RB coming out of the back field or slot depending on the user's 'goto' guy.

I went off topic a little bit. But, i understand, i have been calling better defensive games and the CPU hasn't been unstoppable as they once were, users not as effective either.
Nahhh I didn't make any of those adjustments although I was trying to get to that but that strategy pad was too slow with what I was trying to do up front too.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #27
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
LB, did you back off the coverage? 72 w/ 2 secs, i would have went prevent and backed off my coverage. just asking.

Second thing, since madden 10 even on multiplayer...while they line up and not set, i manually move my corner to the inside or manually back him off to protect at least one side of the line (especially if no safety help).

Oh, also i run some dbl teams then spotlight the other receiver. Then manually chuck the TE or RB coming out of the back field or slot depending on the user's 'goto' guy.

I went off topic a little bit. But, i understand, i have been calling better defensive games and the CPU hasn't been unstoppable as they once were, users not as effective either.
How do you have time with those adjustments against the CPU and their quick snap
Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Here is an example of some of the problems: This dude hits the nail on the head. Polamalu should have killed that WR. The same thing happened to me in practice mode and I took over Landry to hit stick a WR as he was catching the football and the WR goes into an auto break tackle animation. And you see all the quirky movements due to the locomotion.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

LBZ, I feel you. What irks me is even when calling the right defensive pass play, some of the stuff the secondary does, which make you scratch your head.

I also wished we could shade our DB's, when needed, this would definitely help. Right now unless your playing people on your FL, or people who play somewhat realistic, this game online isn't very fun.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

That video shows exactly some of stupid ish the DB do. In the infamous words of Sir Chuck:

Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #31
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

One other thing I've noticed about auto motion plays: especially the Pats' plays that motion to the slot, the CBs change their assignment at the last second. So they're in man, Welker motions from out wide, into the near slot, t the snap, the nickel back is now man up on welker but he never reacts properly and it's a wide open route over the middle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 15

If they do address the defensive issues you know they are going to do it by making psychic db, lb that can jump 4 feet, defensive players that have eyes in the back of their heads, etc. You know that by looking at EA's history of fixing problems like this is by breaking another part of the game. For example, last year they "fixed" pursuit problems by creating that hitch step on long break away runs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »