Home

Easiest Way to Shut Down a Screen Pass?

This is a discussion on Easiest Way to Shut Down a Screen Pass? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Easiest Way to Shut Down a Screen Pass?

I was playing online recently and I noticed that people seem to drop back really far and wait till the field is clear in one part and throw it. I'm kinda of a noob at playing online but still. My question is that how would I lock down a screen passing offense?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Rookie

kevinmerida's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Easiest Way to Shut Down a Screen Pass?

if you have a quick DE just key Rb and follow him. If they are dropping back real far yuo should be able to get there. If not use an OLB or MLB, depending on who is responsible for him and just lock him down manually. You Should be able to tell when the lineman start to pull that its screen.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17

Setting CB's to Flat Zone's (I think it's called that) normally cover's the Screen Pass quite well, as the CB will be waiting in the Flats in his Zone, so when the QB passes to the RB, he'll already be their waiting. Im not the best with formations and stuff, so correct me if anything is wrong.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

I usually user the mlb and cover the running back. The swing passes and screens are usually easy ways to get pick 6's. Make sure you have the olbs cover any tight ends. Thatll usually be their next read.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

Defending screens is simple... Assuming you know which screen you're defending.

For HB Slip Screens or any slow developing screen to the flanks, you can use Contain assignments, a defender in the flat, or a man defender that is already positioned on the outside. You can also spread your defensive line if you have a DE with good AWR. He will often keep an eye on a screen pass.

For quicker screens to WR where the outside receiver runs toward the middle to pick up blocking, you should Jam the receiver with man coverage, while moving a safety closer to the LOS head up on the slot WR.

For For quicker screens to WR where the inside receiver runs toward the outside to flank the defense, you should use a flat defender in conjunction with a man defense. The man defender will cover the screen WR while the flat defender stay backs him up should he get picked out of the play.

I haven't seen a TE middle screen in about 4 years, but I use a defender with the spy assignment in addition to man coverage for these.

All in all, it takes 2 defenders to adequately cover a screen assuming you can get to the receiver as he is making the catch...

You can also force the QB to throw it too early by blitzing the A-Gap in conjunction with any of the other methods already mentioned. In instances where the CONTAIN assignment is used, pressure from the middle is a great way to force a throw into coverage for turnover opportunities.

Hope this helps...

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

Select the DE, and Shade the HB, you can even bump the HB with the DE before the pass is threw, you won't get called for Pass Interference. Just hit the HB as soon as the ball is passed.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Rookie

MrCheese's Arena

OVR: 1

Man Coverage. and User control one of your players to stick to the HB
Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCheese
Man Coverage. and User control one of your players to stick to the HB
this has the most success to me. Against the computer at least. don't play online

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »