Home

What do you dislike most about Madden?

This is a discussion on What do you dislike most about Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: What do you dislike most about Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDRZA
All three of those things are tied into the lack of true physics, imho. The animation system currently in plays are scripted, and once they start to "play out", you cannot add to them, change them, basically they are just scripted and cpu generated.

If they ever add true physics, you could have a much more realistic tackling engine. One where the game could give you the option to initiate different types of tackles. Instead of just running into a ball carrier, you could hit a button and try to wrap tackle, while thats going on, another defender could "add on" or "clean up" effecting momentum and direction, true physics based gang tackling.

I just don't think Tiburon has the talent. EA already spent a ton of cash on the license. So that means less development dollars and no competition.

Agreed with everything you said. The game just feels the same year in/year out. They tell us or hint that next year they will implement a deeper/better Franchise but look at all the changes made to NBA2K11 in a year (now that is unbelievable). Also look at what Wang mentioned about going from 2K to EA then back to 2K and I think it has a lot of meaning to what you said (in Bold). Bottom Line is all that matters to EA not making the best freaking game possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 3

Simple, common football knowledge. Why does the computer attempt 50+ yard field goals during general game play? Why does it run the 2-minute drill, inside their own 20, while winning in the 4th quarter? Why does it go for it on 4th down, on their own 40 yard line, and only down 14 points with 13 minutes left? The list could go on.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
I couldn't agree more! But again without physics it is hard to make them very different as weight doesn't factor in.

Regarding the depth chart I don't want to see the left, right and middle linebackers on defense no more. I want to see the strong side, weak side and middle linebacker and for 3-4 teams I want the fourth linebacker as a rush linebacker (Ware, Harrison, Suggs, Merriman types). Beside separate depth charts for 4-3 and 3-4 defenses, I'd like a slot receiver option on offense and the ability to assign players to special teams.
wut about the locomotion that takes into consideration players weight? would it be very hard to add a bullrush animation? and how bout a double team?

i knw i have no clue where EA came up with the idea for LOLB and ROLB
the depth chart should be
sam LB
will LB
mike LB
jack LB

i knw that it isnt very new user friendly but how many of em actaully look at the depth chart?

a special teams depth chart would be sick especially for franchise mode.

i also think depth charts need to be more team specific the patriots dont even have a fb on their roster and the raiders dont have number 1 and 2 corners they have left and right corners.the ravens dont play ngata at DE they play him at DT and gregg at NT they need to add this like that to make it truly authentic.

im also tired of calling a weak side blitz and i see merriman coming on the blitz lining up on the TE
Old 09-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo1986
Madden needs a rehaul of the engine. Darren Sproles is 5' 6" 170 lbs, he will not be able to truck anybody except a kicker or a punter. Trucking should tie in to the weight of a player, not just a number. Remove the Trucking rating and bring back Break Tackle. Simplify the entire system, remove Trucking, Elusiveness, Stiff Arm, Juke, etc: Let there be one rating to justify the player and that is "Break Tackle"

If Darren Sproles has 99 Break Tackle, he isn't going to be able to shoulder charge and or stiff arm anyone. He can try to do those things, but come on Sproles trying to truck Urlacher? If Sproles weighed maybe 200 pounds, yeah he can throw Urlacher down because of his speed and weight jamming into Urlacher. Look at Maurice Jones-Drew, 5' 7" 208 lbs he would run Urlacher over just because of his 90+ speed and weight.

Stiff Arm should tie into the Strength rating

Trucking should tie into the Player's Weight + Speed + Strength.

Example:

Darren Sproles 5' 6" 170 lbs running full 97 SPD with his 50+ STR into Urlacher with his shoulder would not do a thing. Unless he caught him off balance, if Urlacher was waiting for it - Sproles is getting negative yardage.

Maurice Jones-Drew 5' 7" 208 lbs running his full 94 SPD with 80 STR into Urlacher with his shoulder. Now, Urlacher will have a bigger chance of falling down. Urlacher is what 240-260. If someone running 94 SPD weighing 208 lbs with 80 STR came running at him, he would have a harder time to knock him down.

Say Urlacher has 99 Tackle but still, the force is coming at him. It will also depend on where his Stamina is at also, Urlacher may be a bit Fatigued and MJD is fresh... there is just so many physics that should tie into the player's ratings.

But anyway, simplified-

Break Tackle: Escaping wrap-ups

Trucking: Player's Weight + Strength + Speed

Stiff Arm: Strength

Juke Move: Agility

Spin Move: Agility

All of these will be dependant on the Stamina rating.

If Chris Johnson has 95 agility and 99 Stamina, he would be able to do more and better will jukes and spin moves than DeAngelo Williams who has 97 agility, 90 Stamina. Johnson may not have as much agility so his spin moves aren't as good But still, Williams gets tired faster so he may only be able to do 5 spin moves and jukes while Johnson can perform well at 7 till his Stamina is pricked. Players get tired after awhile and shouldn't continously break tackles and perform at a high level.
only problem i see with ur idea is that ur not taking technique into account for example brandon jacobs is probably stronger than LT but everyone knws LT probably has the sickest stiff arm in the league right now

cj2k is more agile than marshall faulk was but marshall had such a nasty spin move that i have never seen cj perform

so u cant just take away the separate ratings because strength speed and agility arent the only necessary skills to perform those moves
Old 09-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #29
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
Proper physics-simulation is very important is this aspect. If you tried to play smash mouth football with a 5'6" 170 lbs running back, your running back would break before the defensive front bends. Your 170 lbs HB should be torn to pieces by the 3rd quarter, which is why a RBBC would make sense in Madden, if we have proper physics.

Imagine finally being able to use a bruising power back to tire the defensive front seven, and then bring an quick elusive back in to finish them off. Also just the opportunity to keep the defense off balance by alternating between different types of running backs should matter. Sure some teams mostly stick to one running back (AP, CJ, Turner, MJD, Forte, Portis etc.), but most teams use different types of running backs as more than just a gimmick.
If you want to see a good example of power back, look at the NFL.com highlight reel of Browns vs. Ravens from yesterday. Around 1 minute into the video there a situation from the game's 2nd quarter where Browns HB/FB Hillis get 'tackled' by Ravens SS Landry. After the two players interact, e.g. when Landry tries to tackle him, Hillis uses his size, strength and momentum to force Landry back 7 yards, while they are still entangled. Big guys like Hillis and Jacobs should be just a difficult to stop in Madden, if they get in the open like that.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #30
Rookie

BlitzPackage's Arena

OVR: 0

This may be a bit off topic, but I'm sure glad that I didn't purchase this year's Madden. When someone says that they just don't feel like they're playing football, there's something wrong. Way too many negative reviews for this year's game, and it's just not from complainers. People feel cheated. Judging from what I've read in this thread, I'll stick with my Madden10. Hopefully things get fixed, but I don't think there's hope for this season.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 6

Its not a bad game. Looks very nice. Disappointed in the audio. After 6 years we should have a great halftime and weekly wrap up show. There is no strategy for offline gamers vs. the CPU. The commentary doesn't actually talk about anything going on in the game. Franchise mode is boring.

The game is geared towards playing online and scoring 50ppg. I sincerely question the football IQs of those involved in this product at this point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPackage
This may be a bit off topic, but I'm sure glad that I didn't purchase this year's Madden. When someone says that they just don't feel like they're playing football, there's something wrong. Way too many negative reviews for this year's game, and it's just not from complainers. People feel cheated. Judging from what I've read in this thread, I'll stick with my Madden10. Hopefully things get fixed, but I don't think there's hope for this season.
actually the feel of the game is amazing the things that are missing are features and maybe a few tweaks (can be made with sliders, custom gameplans, and maybe rating changes), but the game is great.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »