Home

Make Madden more arcade?

This is a discussion on Make Madden more arcade? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #185
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Make Madden more arcade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
I know. But they didn't have to use both of them did they?
No, but if they even used one of them, the other would not be happy. It sounds like a very delicate balancing act.

Here's the thread I was looking for.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...rts-games.html

Post #2 is the closest answer in the thread based on a developers post in that linked thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #186
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
No, but if they even used one of them, the other would not be happy. It sounds like a very delicate balancing act.

Here's the thread I was looking for.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...rts-games.html

Post #2 is the closest answer in the thread based on a developers post in that linked thread.
Now i know the reason, thank man.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #187
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
They do. It's available on XBOX Live. Problem solved!
I only have PS3.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #188
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
You don't need to keep reinventing the wheel to make a good game. You can have corrections and still have a good game.

Innovating all the time doesn't always = great/good game.

Significantly upgrading the immersion factor would greatly enhance the game and each person has their own idea on how that would be implemented.

Just make a good game, period.
There hasn't been any innovation period this gen; more innovation is needed than that. You could do everything and more with last gen versions of Madden that you can with Madden 11; that's the problem.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #189
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
There hasn't been any innovation period this gen; more innovation is needed than that. You could do everything and more with last gen versions of Madden that you can with Madden 11; that's the problem.
What is there left to innovate?

Any idea that EA or others feel is an innovation, others shoot it down either because they feel it's been done before or it was poorly implemented.

Physics can't be innovated, it's been already done. Presentation can't be innovated, it's already been done before. The list goes on and on and on.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #190
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

Any idea that EA or others feel is an innovation, others shoot it down either because they feel it's been done before or it was poorly implemented.

Physics can't be innovated, it's been already done. Presentation can't be innovated, it's already been done before. The list goes on and on and on.

I agree with you that you don't have to innovate to make a great game. You can take existing conventions and improve them to the point that you have a stellar game.

However, conventional wisdom would tell us that you are wrong when you say that there is nothing left to innovate. In general, there is always a new idea waiting to happen in terms of just about anything you want to talk about. Cars, medicine, computers, phones, food, and yes, even Football video games lol.

In particular, I could very easily see where a Football game could be innovated. As I've said many times in the past, the passing mechanic in Madden 2011 is almost identical to the passing mechanic in the original Madden on the Genesis (and probably the Apple II also, but I never played it so I'm just guessing).

If they can't innovate an aspect of the game that is over 20yrs old, especially considering that they have stuck with the very first idea that they ever came up with for the entirety of those 20 plus years, then they might as well just hang up their keyboards right now.

Now I'm not saying that they HAVE to innovate anything. If they can come as close to perfecting what is already out there as possible, then I can't complain. But to say that there is nothing left to innovate in Madden? To me, that means that no one is capable of thinking of anything that Tiburon has not already thought of. I'm sorry, but if no one can come up with newer ideas than Tiburon, from now until the end of time, then forget about Football video games, I'm done with gaming period.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #191
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

I agree with you they don't have to be innovative about every part of the game but at the same time if it was done before that doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done again.

Who would argue individual coverage assignments wouldn't help on defense? Who would complain about more presentation?
or about Franchise mode as deep as ps2?
or about EA lockers that would put the full franchise online?
or a deeper superstar mode?

Hell, even if some people shoot something down because it's been done before they should add it anyways. QB vision cone is a divided feature. Half of madden fans enjoyed it tho. Why remove something 50 or even 30% of your fan base was enjoying using?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #192
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:

Innovation doesn't have to be a new feature, it can also be a new approach to an existing features. Personally, I am very disappointed in the lack of innovation in Tiburon's approach for the ratings system. The philosophy that they've used for the last couple of years is, and I quote: "We basically stretched out the ratings."

If I compare Tiburon's effort to other developers, say, EA Canada, I have to say that I am disappointed by the lack of innovation, however you want to define it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »