Home

Make Madden more arcade?

This is a discussion on Make Madden more arcade? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2010, 01:30 AM   #17
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Make Madden more arcade?

Well, I don't think it has to be ALL 60 yard completions and 80 yard field goals. That's ridiculous.

Just get the defense balanced, add some good commentary, eliminate some of the ratings, add some fun graphics for injuries...
Old 10-27-2010, 01:30 AM   #18
MVP

Cabke's Arena

OVR: 15

The biggest reason I can't get super into sports gaming anymore is because one tiny thing becomes such a huge deal. I just want to have fun. That's the biggest reason I'm buying NBA Jam day one. It's a carefree, fun version of basketball. I want a game that is fun, bottom line, and for me, the super high strung sim games we're used to just don't have that for me.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #19
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnes12eaglesfan
Look at GTA IV and BackBreaker. Two games that have an "arcadey" feel but have a perfect balance of realism and arcade-ism.
Agreed. This can work for football.

We all love football for the big hits and explosive plays.

This cant work for a sport like baseball which is admired for the "little things". And people usually don't watch baseball for that "explosive HR", they are usually watching pitch by pitch with a methodical mind set. Those who want "explosiveness" in baseball watch the highlights on sports-center and not the games. Thus why games like The Show are perfect for that sport.

Just like commercials are the best thing to happen to NASCAR, my goodness, imagine sitting there, on TV and watching the same laps over and over without the "explosive crash"? Commercials cut into the time and give you a beer refill and pretzel fill up break. And gets you to the crashes and last 10 laps seemingly sooner, with less pain.

Well Football is watched just as NASCAR. That explosive hit on almost every play, and the sick looking fingertip Jesus catches! Not the boring huddles and time outs while they are on the sidelines.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:34 AM   #20
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

I actually completely agree with this. Right now, this game just lacks an identity. I say **** it, give us the full-fledged ESPN presentation we want, and then just make this a fun game of football, realism be damned. The game can be rooted in arcade and still resemble NFL football. Right now, however, we have an engine that is trying to be arcady fun AND simulation at the same time. It just doesn't work.

EA, pick what you're good at and stick with it, whatever it may be. You're never going to please everyone regardless, so at least choose a route and do it well.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:35 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Yeah the Backbreaker type engine toned a bit for accuracy combined with the NFL license and a great franchise mode would be awesome. Add in a twist of Blitz and you have a winner. I'm sure arcade style NFL games would be out there if they could get a piece of that NFL license.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2010, 01:36 AM   #22
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
The game can be rooted in arcade and still resemble NFL football. Right now, however, we have an engine that is trying to be arcady fun AND simulation at the same time. It just doesn't work.

EA, pick what you're good at and stick with it, whatever it may be. You're never going to please everyone regardless, so at least choose a route and do it well.
Exactly!!!!! Do one thing , and do it well. Give the game a flavor. It can still resemble football. But every time attention to detail comes up "there's not enough time". Screw it...give us ESPN presentation, and let's roll!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:37 AM   #23
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
I actually completely agree with this. Right now, this game just lacks an identity. I say **** it, give us the full-fledged ESPN presentation we want, and then just make this a fun game of football, realism be damned. The game can be rooted in arcade and still resemble NFL football. Right now, however, we have an engine that is trying to be arcady fun AND simulation at the same time. It just doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
Yeah the Backbreaker type engine toned a bit for accuracy combined with the NFL license and a great franchise mode would be awesome. Add in a twist of Blitz and you have a winner. I'm sure arcade style NFL games would be out there if they could get a piece of that NFL license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Exactly!!!!! Do one thing , and do it well. Give the game a flavor. It can still resemble football. But every time attention to detail comes up "there's not enough time". Screw it...give us ESPN presentation, and let's roll!
BINGO!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:37 AM   #24
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

My ideal game would be Madden making a kickass franchise mode for a Blitz the League sort of deal *and, ya know, cleaning up all the swearing, drugs, sex...basically making it E*.

I think there is a solid happy medium between Madden's ultra sim and Blitz's ultra arcade.

Urban Meyer is lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »