Home

Why Limit Gamers?

This is a discussion on Why Limit Gamers? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #41
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Why Limit Gamers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
You cant argue with this, MLB the show and MLB 2k allow you to do this as well as other games without crashing problems, The people that even try to argue that these abilities/options shouldnt be in there have no bearing whatsoever BECAUSE THEY WOULD NOT BE FORCED TO USE IT!!!! But they would prevent others from doing so if they had it there way.
I am just worried that instead of fixing many things like progression/regression we will be given the ability to edit thousands of players so we can just do that ourselves. It just seems it would be an easy way to not fix things that need to be fixed.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #42
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
You cant argue with this, MLB the show and MLB 2k allow you to do this as well as other games without crashing problems, The people that even try to argue that these abilities/options shouldnt be in there have no bearing whatsoever BECAUSE THEY WOULD NOT BE FORCED TO USE IT!!!! But they would prevent others from doing so if they had it there way.
Eh, no need to shoot others opinions down.

I don't use editing at all in sports games on NG. I did on the PC years ago with HH Baseball and on Madden on the PC. I just don't have the time anymore.

That doesn't mean others can't enjoy it by allowing more editing. I'm all for more options, but not at the expense of hearing others opinions, for or against.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #43
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
In my dynasty, I get two free agents from another club to join my superstar.

I force them to sign with me for less than max.

And then, I proceed to start the season 8-6.
That's great! But, of course that could never happen in real life . . . well, north of the Mason Dixon line anyway.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #44
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
I am just worried that instead of fixing many things like progression/regression we will be given the ability to edit thousands of players so we can just do that ourselves. It just seems it would be an easy way to not fix things that need to be fixed.

Well if you look back how often has this line of thought been used and things still dont get fixed?? As if putting something good in the game that gives people opportunities to customize things how they want will take away something else that needs to be fixed, for the past few years things have been getting put in the game that arent neccessarily good and others have been getting completely ignored, if this train of thought is used than we might as well not put anything into the game, what needs to be "fixed" is truly getting smaller while what needs to be "added" is still a pretty large list.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #45
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Eh, no need to shoot others opinions down.

I don't use editing at all in sports games on NG. I did on the PC years ago with HH Baseball and on Madden on the PC. I just don't have the time anymore.

That doesn't mean others can't enjoy it by allowing more editing. I'm all for more options, but not at the expense of hearing others opinions, for or against.
Ok, Im sorry if I came off a bit harsh, but can you see the point? Putting this feature in and fixing the instabilities with it would benefit many people while harming no one, because no one would be forced to use it, I think you agree because it sounded like you did, again sorry for being harsh I just have a hard time listening to people who cant see that it would not hurt anyone and would add to the game for alot of people.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2010, 02:49 AM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 3
Madden has never been able to get this gen up to where it should be and will prob stay that way until the next gen or until the other game companies get the nfl license
Old 11-26-2010, 05:34 AM   #47
Rookie

Icarus2k9's Arena

OVR: 5

Does it feel to anyone else that this entire situation was brought about by Madden's first forays into DLC and microtransactions? (Forgive me if I get the timeline wrong here)

09: Introduction of franchise boosters, in a bid to generate extra revenue for the brand. This means they lock the editing of attributes in franchise mode.

10: Josh introduces the new progression system, which is now built around the idea you can't change the attributes (because boosters locked them in 09). The brand starts to explore stronger DLC incentives such as AFL gear, MUT, etc.

11: Further monetization and the year-long introduction of MUT means EA are making more money than ever through DLC, coupled with the lack of changes in franchise mode causing ill-will amongst a subset of players.

At this point I enter the realm of speculation. Maybe they are making enough money now in this manner to consider allowing franchise heads full customisation at the expense of losing booster income? The only problem is now the DLC model they built in the first place might have in a long-term sense stopped them doing that.

No knock on EA, they have every right to do what they want with their property. And the progression (despite being able to see the letter grades) is far superior to years past.

Last edited by Icarus2k9; 11-26-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestep123
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about devs protecting their work. That person was right IMO. To me, I wouldnt allow full blown customization simply to protect the integrety of the game.

I think Ian Cummings used an interesting word in "cheesing". That isnt an industry term I am sure but gamers have come to accept "cheesing" and associate it with "cheating" or more concerning to devs "cheap". Nobody wants their product to be branded that way and the fact is that if you allow the consumer to do as they please, that is what you are going to be looking at.
I wonder how the folks at OOTP sleep at night considering I can do anything at all I want to that game, even if I want to make it so I never lose and have killer players, and screw around with the AI's players/teams/personnel, and edit all their contracts outright (don't even need any stupid "lower all their ratings" workarounds, I just edit the contract and the extension directly), and change the sim engine, the player creation engine, my ballpark at any time, my revenue, edit any player, pick and choose what rules I want in my league, edit out injuries, edit in injuries, edit any rating at any time, etc.

All within the game's own interface. No codes, hacks, hex editing, modding, DLC. If you buy OOTP11, you get ALL of that ability at your fingertips from "go".

They don't seem the least be concerned about "cheese" and, as far as I've seen, no one considers OOTP a "cheeser's baseball game". In fact, it basically considered THE baseball sim game, maybe ever.

My point? It can work and not every gamer in the world is like "OMG how canz I chezzors and haxorz diz game?!!1!!!11"

Some actually, imagine this developers, want to extend the life of your game or make new ways to utilize your game's engine to ENHANCE the image of your product. I still play Kohan 2, an RTS, because I was able to write better AI for it and even modded an "expansion" for my buddy and I to play. A game that would long be on the shelf prompted him to re-buy the digital distribution so he won't have to worry about a disk. Who knows how many mods for games have done the same thing across game genres?

Quote:
As mentioned, 2k games have done a great job of allowing customers to customize thier experience and IMO that does cheapen the game because it potentially allows for workarounds that would kill off the intergrity of the AI.
Has it hurt the game in the eyes of the community? Obviously not if it's getting praised as a game as well as for it's customization.

Quote:
Think of it this way, an author writes a book and they copyright it because they dont want you taking it, changing a plotline here or there and altering the outcome.
However, there's a such thing as fan fiction, which is like modding for books/movies/game plot lines and most of the time, not only is this like a "who cares" attitude from the original creators, some have even given ideas/new avenues for new creations for the original creators.

Last edited by KBLover; 12-01-2010 at 12:19 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »