Home

Should Madden have player ratings at all?

This is a discussion on Should Madden have player ratings at all? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Should Madden have player ratings at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadly738
Something I would like to see is keep the ratings, but hide the overall ratings. That way, you have to look at each player's individual ratings to see who you want to start.
I like this idea. The overall rating is need but it does not have to be viewed. I also wish they would change how potential is done and handled, but that is for another thread.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I like this idea. The overall rating is need but it does not have to be viewed. I also wish they would change how potential is done and handled, but that is for another thread.
That wouldn't be the best solution, but definitely an improvement. This way you'd have to go by skills than meaningless overall ratings.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

I like having ratings, but I wish that ratings didn't have such a huge affect on salary demands. I need that needs to be scaled back a tad.

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20
Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhs63
So, hear me out. Everyone likes realism. Yes, Madden has always attracted the Michael Vick abusing arcade-style users, but I think everyone here agrees that most true Madden fans are more geared towards realism.

I believe, in order to be realistic, Madden needs to do away with ANY type of player ratings whatsoever. In real life (that little place you find when you turn your door knob and push.....or pull in some cases), there are no player ratings. Players are judged based on how they perform.

I'm not going to go into a long explanation, but basically, we should just get rid of player ratings and again judge players by how they play. Any average joe could look at ratings and stack their team by unrealistic trades. But if players had no ratings and their value was based on age and performance, not only would teams be more evened out and you couldn't stack your team unrealistically, trades would be even too.

But how would you tell which rookies are good? Well, this is where scouts would come in. Scouts give detailed reports, BUT no ratings. Like "this kid has a cannon of an arm, but isn't comfortable in the pocket."

I can think of many more ideas for this, but Madden won't listen anyways.....
You can't do away with ratings. That's how the game makes certain players better than others. I would be in favor of hiding ratings in franchise mode when players first come into the league; the ratings would be revealed, gradually, as they perform. Certain players, stars, would have all their ratings visible as most people, fans and coaches, know they're the real deal already.

Then again, players do age, and telling us that they've lost a step, every time they lose one, when their ratings decrease isn't very realistic. Production grades would be much more realistic. It would make online play, and play now, more realistic. Many times a player will be lighting it up in real life, going through a hot streak, but the roster updates don't reflect that. Donny Moore, the rating Czar, asserts that the players have to prove themselves first. I say that's bull. If a player is a one year wonder, let him play lights out for that year. If it his performance drops the next year, let his performance in the game reflect that.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #21
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

I'd prefer an ability/AI system to complement the ratings, but I would want to keep them (the overall rating too), but redo/simplify them and make coaches/schemes matter (also bring back player roles for more consistency in franchise mode, but that another topic).

For example, you can easily get rid of the spectacular catch rating and assign a spectacular catch ability to the receivers that deserves it. You could also to the same with other ratings, say, replace the catching in traffic rating with an ability or the deep accuracy of a quarterback and so forth to create a simpler ratings system. First of all it would make it simpler for the developers because they don't have to assign these ratings to each of the 2000 players in the game, but only the ones that needs that/those ability/ies. Secondly it would be easier for us, the gamers, because we could just look at the player page and see a) this guy is a possession receiver, b) he's got a catching in traffic ability symbol next to his description without having to go through all his individual ratings.

In a system like that there could also be a big difference between, say, a 78 overall rated brusing running back and a 78 overall rated cutback runner. So keeping the overall rating (combined with player roles and an improved AI system) could allow for a deeper, simpler and quicker ratings system -- at least for the gamers.

Ratings will also be extremely useful if size and weight were to matter in the game, say, a 180 lbs receiver with 82 acceleration could be approximately as fast as a 250 lbs LB with 90 acceleration or a punter with 80 strength could be pushed around by even the weakest defensive linemen.

The thing that worries me is the direction Madden is heading in under the Donny Moore rule (he does call himself a czar, which is a title for supreme rulers). We've seen an increase in the number of ratings - around twice as many - and now people appear to be more discontent with the system because the lack of proper explanation of ratings and increased number of ratings has made the system nontransparent.

Last edited by guaps; 01-05-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 6

That's the point, I DON'T think you should be able to tell if a player is for example a power back or speed back. Play with them to find out. If they're on another team, scout them.

As for height and weight being relevant, it shouldn't, because if someone has 90 speed but is 30 pounds heavier than someone else with 90 speed, both still have 90 speed. Maybe position relevant.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 25

THAT game that came out 4 yrs ago with OLD LEGENDS had the best system and EA should just use that....Problem fixed and a whole new era of sports can now move forward.

Hidden ratings and then player abilities with a max of 6 would be a great addition.

I mean with a numerical system.,...Whats the real differance between a guy with 97 spd vs a guy with 98 spd? But a player with a Speed Burner abilty vs a player with Quicks would be more noticeable.

Numerical systems are EASIER but they are so 10yrs ago....There are better options out there....
Old 01-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 25

And ratings need to fluctuate from game to game as well.....If a player has 2-3 bad games in a row...He should lose something in certain areas yuntil he works it out.....

With numerical ratings, if say Mike Vick chokes next year and plays like his real ability....His rating in Madden BEFORE he stared stinking up philly will probably be a 95 (yes way overrated)....So going into next years version you know he will be a 95...and play like a 95....But in reality there is no air of uncertainty....His rating will never go below a 95 and it will stay a 95 ALL YEAR no matter what he does...Goood year/bad year....No real change.

Foster was a beast this year...Whose to say he wont suck next year...But you know he will be a 90-93 in M12 and he will play like a High 90 RB....But again, whose to say he will even be the same. there is no mystery...no drama....you simply sign the guys with the best overall and move on...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »