Home

Question about Accelerated Clock

This is a discussion on Question about Accelerated Clock within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2003, 08:40 PM   #1
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8
Question about Accelerated Clock

I can't seem to figure out the point of the accelerated clock. Whats the advantage to using that feature rather than just shortening the gameclock? Why play 12 min with acc clock instead of 7 min with a regular clock? Is there a difference? Just wondering why there even is such a feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2003, 08:52 PM   #2
H*ll *f F*m*

OVR: 28
Re: Question about Accelerated Clock

I find that with the accelerated clock the CPU runs the ball more. It's like computer knows it has enough time to acutaully have a realistic drive. I also find that you get more realistic stats. My 0LB (Taeko Spikes) is averaging about 8-10 takcles a game...just like he would in real life.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:57 PM   #3
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Plus, u have to deal with the play clock more realistically. Rather than breaking the huddle with 30 seconds on the play clock, you have 20. That's 10 less seconds to audible, survey, whatever u do at the line... that's more realistic than being able to audible 8 times at the line before one play. That's why I like it.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:57 PM   #4
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8

Is there any good correlation between btw quarter lengths with acc clock vs non-acc clock? Does it take the same amount of time to play a game with say 6 min quarters as it does to play 12 min with acc clock?
Old 08-17-2003, 09:59 PM   #5
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

The game takes about the same amount of time, maybe slightly longer.

Basically with Play Clock Accelerated, you are playin a more complete game of football. Stats are much more realistic b/c you are playing 10-12-15 minute quarters. I play 12 minute quarters.

The accelerated clock helps the game run faster so you aren't playin for two hours. I find that my games last about an hour and a couple of minutes at 12 minute quarters. That's fine by me since I only play like one game a day.

I also get realistic stats. For the first time ever I actually have a quarterback that can compete in Pass attempts/completed. You don't need 30 yard passes to reach 200 yards passin anymore.

Last game I played...

Pennington: 22-28, 198 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
Martin: 35 Attempts, 98 yards

Never before did I ever have a quarterback attempt 30 passes and have a running back attempt 30 rushes.

Falls in line perfectly with the 60 play average in the NFL.

In addition, defensive stats are much more realistic. I've seen Zach Thomas finish with 7 tackles against me. Another linebacker finished with 11 tackles one game against me. And i've had players on my team finish with 7 tackles as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2003, 10:10 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

if you're going purely on amount of plays, no, probably doesn't matter. But lets assume..

Its almost the end of the 3rd quarter, you're up by 10. CPU has the ball, runs a play, goes to 4th quarter. Now you have 2 scenerios...

1. 6 minute quarters...CPU comes out, realizes its down by 10 with only 6 minutes go and throws the ball every down.

2. 12 minute accellerated quarters...CPU comes out, realizes it has plenty of time and will also run the ball.

I'd guess thats the major advantage. I'm also curious if it has any effects on fatigue since when I'm playing on 7/8 minute quarters I pick my play fast, hurry up to the line, etc. With the accelerated clock, the players should get more rest in between plays.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:49 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

i never use accelerated clock because you cant manage the clock. lets say theres 8 seconds left and u just need a short pass completion in order to get into field goal range and win the game. that short play should take about 5 seconds. if theres 8 seconds on accelerated clock, u really have only 4 seconds, and u can only hope for a pass play to win the game. accelerated clock is only good for soccer games because the clock never stops.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:01 AM   #8
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:

i never use accelerated clock because you cant manage the clock. lets say theres 8 seconds left and u just need a short pass completion in order to get into field goal range and win the game. that short play should take about 5 seconds. if theres 8 seconds on accelerated clock, u really have only 4 seconds, and u can only hope for a pass play to win the game. accelerated clock is only good for soccer games because the clock never stops.

Naw thats not how it works it only accelerates after you pick your play and from what I remember once the game is inside a certain amount of time the clocks runs normal. Meaning real time is real time. So clock management is still a factor.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »