Home

99 overalls not progressing?

This is a discussion on 99 overalls not progressing? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 6
99 overalls not progressing?

I have a rookie DT who is 99 overall (I know it's unrealistic, but that's not the point). He's only 23, but no matter how good he does, he won't progress. I know you can't go higher than 99, but even his skills are staying the same. How can I get around this? Can I play the whole season as a DT, then before going to offseason change his position to DE, or somewhere where he's not 99?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Banned

Re: 99 overalls not progressing?

Yeah, it works to switch position before offseason. Just tried it out and the stats I wanted to go up went up when I changed him to OLB.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Having 99 overalls in the game is one of the drawbacks of the current ratings system, IMO. As mentioned there is no progression unless you "cheat" by changing the guys position before the offseason.

I personally prefer FIFA's approach (other sports game do this as well, NHL, NBA 2k etc.) where the top rated player is rated fairly low at 90 overall (and there is only one rated 90 OVR of 15,000+ player in FIFA) and only has potential to increase to 95. Also the highest individual rating in FIFA is 96, if I remember correctly, and they are very rare.

Also the overall ratings in FIFA changes when you do small adjustments in the formation. In Madden terms is would be equivalent to an 85 OVR RT not being an 85 OVR LT, or an 82 OVR outside wide receiver not being an 82 OVR slot receiver, or a 78 OVR DE in a 4-3 system not being a 78 OVR DE in a 3-4 system. I really appreciate that about the system, because you actually have an OVR "penalty" for playing your players out of position.

All athletes in all types of sports can improve and the very best are usually also the ones that work the hardest on improving themselves throughout their career. Giving them 99 ratings means one of two things in my opinion; either the ratings system doesn't work as intended if 99 ratings are needed to separate the elite from the good, or that you haven't really understood that professional athletes work their butt off to always improve their game.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

yes, it sucks madden still doesnt recognize the difference between a strong side olb and weak side or slot reciever vs wide out (or the oline sides/nt/dt or the 3-4 defense)....lotsa work to be done that probably wont happen
Old 02-05-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
Having 99 overalls in the game is one of the drawbacks of the current ratings system, IMO. As mentioned there is no progression unless you "cheat" by changing the guys position before the offseason.

I personally prefer FIFA's approach (other sports game do this as well, NHL, NBA 2k etc.) where the top rated player is rated fairly low at 90 overall (and there is only one rated 90 OVR of 15,000+ player in FIFA) and only has potential to increase to 95. Also the highest individual rating in FIFA is 96, if I remember correctly, and they are very rare.

Also the overall ratings in FIFA changes when you do small adjustments in the formation. In Madden terms is would be equivalent to an 85 OVR RT not being an 85 OVR LT, or an 82 OVR outside wide receiver not being an 82 OVR slot receiver, or a 78 OVR DE in a 4-3 system not being a 78 OVR DE in a 3-4 system. I really appreciate that about the system, because you actually have an OVR "penalty" for playing your players out of position.

All athletes in all types of sports can improve and the very best are usually also the ones that work the hardest on improving themselves throughout their career. Giving them 99 ratings means one of two things in my opinion; either the ratings system doesn't work as intended if 99 ratings are needed to separate the elite from the good, or that you haven't really understood that professional athletes work their butt off to always improve their game.
Preach on! If there was a karma system on OS, I'd give you a +1 for that. I would LOVE a true scaled roster system where the best of the best in the game are lucky if they hit 90.

Unfortunately, I think due to players and fans alike complaining about ratings, it is a long shot. Would be very nice to see though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Banned

Exactly, Madden need a system like that, Like they have in NHL 11....
Old 02-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
Preach on! If there was a karma system on OS, I'd give you a +1 for that. I would LOVE a true scaled roster system where the best of the best in the game are lucky if they hit 90.

Unfortunately, I think due to players and fans alike complaining about ratings, it is a long shot. Would be very nice to see though.
I would just like to comment that the system that weights the ratings is what is really to blame here.

As an example where I have seen this go to the extreme was Madden 07. In that game, default rookie Vernon Davis was an 86 OVR TE. If you raised his very low run blocking rating up to 63... yes, only 63 run blocking, keeping him far below the top run blockers despite the fact that he is the best run blocking TE in football to day, his OVR rating would shoot up toaround 96 or 97 OVR. He would hit 99 OVR long before he became the top run blocking TE in the game.

This is becasue of what goes into rating each position. Changing the Run blocking of a defensive end will not change his OVR rating one bit [that i am aware of.] Additionally, 3-4 defensive linemen are rating on the same scale as 4-3 linemen. In order for Haloti Ngata to be a 97+ player, he hasto have super ratings [though he does deserve them.] On the other hand, someone like Igor Olshansky who is a really talented 3-4 end is only an 80 or so OVR player.

I honestly think [and this is just my opinion] that Donny Moore will rate some players individual ratings up or down in large part to adjust their OVR rating to meet preception as opposed to rating each individual attribute by itself and letting OVR land where ever it will land. I honetly feel that some players will be overrated in some attributes or others will take a hit simply to adjust the OVR rating of that player.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by maademperor
yes, it sucks madden still doesnt recognize the difference between a strong side olb and weak side or slot reciever vs wide out (or the oline sides/nt/dt or the 3-4 defense)....lotsa work to be done that probably wont happen
NFL teams, generally speaking, do not flip their outside linebackers or their ends. Some do, on occassion, but as a rule, they do not. A lot of teams don't even differenciate between their Free Safety and their Strong Safety/Rover, using them interchangably. The Ravens are the most striking exception... while they don't flip their fronts often, occassionally they do work Suggs off the weak side regardless of the formation strength. In Dallas, Ware never lines up anywhere but the left. Ever. Regardless of the offensive strength. (I shouldn't say never because someone will find video that shows him on the right, but in all of the plays I've looked at from the 2010 season, he hasn't... and I've watched a lot of film over the past few weeks).

The exception is DT... here you have a point. 4-3 and hybrid teams generally have a 3-tech tackle (under on some teams, over on others) and a nose tackle and they'll usually flip. Again, there are exceptions... the Eagles, for instance, never flip their tackles, ends, or backers.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 02-05-2011 at 04:26 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »