Home

WR positions on depth chart question.

This is a discussion on WR positions on depth chart question. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: WR positions on depth chart question.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one to favor the left side, it's really weird, until I really decide presnap "Okay I'm gonna look for the route to the right", I NEVER throw the ball to the right of the middle instinctively, don't really know why.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
I'm so glad I'm not the only one to favor the left side, it's really weird, until I really decide presnap "Okay I'm gonna look for the route to the right", I NEVER throw the ball to the right of the middle instinctively, don't really know why.
Funny...

For some reason I prefer to run to the left and pass to the right...

I'm left handed IRL, so I always thought that might have something to do with it...

Anyway:

Because I like to run left and the TE is rarely on that side, I like to have my best blocking WR over there...and since I prefer to pass right, it's not always the 2nd rated guy, b/c in "my offence" the X gets the ball less than the Z, Slot, TE and even the backs...

In a 3 WR set, I like the slot guy with the best "catch in traffic" rating over speed, b/c he's usually running short to inermediate routes over the middle...think Keyshwan Johnson...so so much fast, but big, tough and physical...

In 4 and 5 sets, I also like to put my best guy in one of the slots and overload the talent to the right (prefered side) or to the side where the D I'm up against is weakest...

For instance, I don't pass right if Palamalu is at SS, or the D's got a lockdown guy on my right with a top SS over the top on that side...

Overall:

OVR is not the decsision maker for me...

Cool question, OP!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
MVP

OVR should never be the decision maker if you want to do I thorough depth chart, you always have to look at the ratings.

For example, I found John Conner of the Jets to be an incredibly good run blocking FB even if he's only a 70s OVR B potential rookie, he's got 89 Impact Block rating which is all that really matters if he's a lead blocker and develops into a real stud in a franchise, even if he will never be really good at catching the ball. Just one example of many why just looking at OVR rating simply isn't enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
OVR should never be the decision maker if you want to do I thorough depth chart, you always have to look at the ratings.

For example, I found John Conner of the Jets to be an incredibly good run blocking FB even if he's only a 70s OVR B potential rookie, he's got 89 Impact Block rating which is all that really matters if he's a lead blocker and develops into a real stud in a franchise, even if he will never be really good at catching the ball. Just one example of many why just looking at OVR rating simply isn't enough.
I agree. here's another good example of what your saying, and relating to OP's question;

In my franchise I signed Dany Amendola, who was a FA. At 79 OVR I guess he's not the "highest rated guy"... but his route running and catch in traffic ratings are high... so I use him in the slot since he's good at cutting and catching amongst defenders. This means I put him 3 on the depth chart when Im playing a game.

But when Im going to a sim a game or two, I move him to slot #2 so that the CPU will target him in the simmed game as often as I do in a played game.

Basically, some guys skills are better suited to certain plays in my book, and I'll move them to those spots to quickly choose the play I want. (Since I choose my plays "by player.") But if I were to leave Dany Amendola in the 3rd slot all season when I sim games, he wouldnt get as many targets as he should.

So; depending whether I intend to sim a game or play a game is what determines how I order my depth chart for WR's.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
Funny...

For some reason I prefer to run to the left and pass to the right...

I'm left handed IRL, so I always thought that might have something to do with it...

Anyway:

Because I like to run left and the TE is rarely on that side, I like to have my best blocking WR over there...and since I prefer to pass right, it's not always the 2nd rated guy, b/c in "my offence" the X gets the ball less than the Z, Slot, TE and even the backs...

In a 3 WR set, I like the slot guy with the best "catch in traffic" rating over speed, b/c he's usually running short to inermediate routes over the middle...think Keyshwan Johnson...so so much fast, but big, tough and physical...

In 4 and 5 sets, I also like to put my best guy in one of the slots and overload the talent to the right (prefered side) or to the side where the D I'm up against is weakest...

For instance, I don't pass right if Palamalu is at SS, or the D's got a lockdown guy on my right with a top SS over the top on that side...

Overall:

OVR is not the decsision maker for me...

Cool question, OP!
I do the opposite I throw to the left and over the middle and run almost always to the right. It seems harder to throw the deep ball to the right side regardless of who you throwing to or with so my only passes to the right are usually slants. Actually I should say my run game seems to be dependent on the playbook. With the saints I usually run to the left the runs are more successful, I just restarted a franchise with the 49'ers and it seems I'm more successful running solely to the right with their playbook.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

I like to put height on the outside and speed on the inside. I do that for drags and crosses with speed and streaks and corner routes for my tall WR to be able to go up and user catch.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

I run tosses to the right and and inside to the left. I also usually pass deep to the right. I'm a lefty too. This also proves the point that we need deeper positional depth charts. Inside outside recievers. Blocking passing tightends. Blitzing vs coverage linebackers. would be especially useful with gameflow on. I usually order my depth chart highest to lowest unless I want to develop a younger guy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_24
I run tosses to the right and and inside to the left. I also usually pass deep to the right. I'm a lefty too. This also proves the point that we need deeper positional depth charts. Inside outside recievers. Blocking passing tightends. Blitzing vs coverage linebackers. would be especially useful with gameflow on. I usually order my depth chart highest to lowest unless I want to develop a younger guy.
Fully agree that more detailed depth charts would be nice, or at least give us the formation sub system from NCAA that I can make my formation subs between the games and not while my playclock is ticking down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »