Home

Comeback AI is the worst thing in video games

This is a discussion on Comeback AI is the worst thing in video games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2003, 01:36 PM   #25
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Comeback AI is the worst thing in video games

Oh yes, the human controlled player can benefit from the comeback also. Everything that can happen to you while leading can happen to the cpu, with the exception of the Holding call. I never see the cpu get called for holding at crucial times.

But Kordell steward would turn into Vick and Warner in one, your RB would be able to break massive blocks while you're blockers flaten everything in your site.

Speaking of the blockers flatening everything, I hate to see that one play where all the D-Line is getting held, while your LBs and DBs get knocked to the ground allowing a Huge hole up the middle. Dammit I hate that. How often do you see wonderful blocking like that for one play in the NFL? You'd see 1 good block that gets room and the RB does the rest himself. In Madden, all 9 offensive players blocking ethier hold or flaten whoever and it just makes me sick. It looks so damn scripted, its sad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2003, 03:59 PM   #26
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

zzzzzz

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my comments on this have nothin to do with me tryin to boast as this great Madden player b/c I know that I am NOT.

But, the honest truth is I have not seen this comeback AI. I don't lose leads that large. I just don't. Call me lucky, call me conceited for mentionin it, call me whatever. The truth is I haven't lost any large leads and I haven't seen any of this comeback AI people talk of in Madden 2004.

I understand that many people seem to be experiencing it, but then why isn't it happenin to everyone? You guys are so quick to say that Comeback AI is alive and well and that it happens all the time the CPU needs to make a comeback, but then there are a number of guys who haven't had this happen to them.

Why? I, and these others, have already said they play on All-Pro. I have PICKED UP running back ability for the CPU. So it's not like I lowered their sliders to make the game easier for myself. I just haven't seen this comeback AI.

So far I've heard this:

1. You don't play Madden enough.

I know how much I play Madden and I know i've played enough to have seen at least ONE Comeback AI type game. Thing is, I still haven't.

2. Play Madden and NCAA and then you'll notice the difference in how the CPU comes back.

I haven't lost any big leads in NCAA so there is no way I can compare this comeback logic. I haven't even seen the CPU make this Amazing Comeback on me to even compare Madden to NCAA. So, what are you askin me to do again?

3. You are just lying/blind for your love of the game/just wanna convince yourself that this game is great.

Thanks for knowing every single aspect of my life. I dont find a need to lie on a message board. I'll leave that to the guys who boast about ways to spend less money on Franchise Mode. I already said I enjoyed NFL 2k3 last year. So what love? I also can sell the game back for over 40 dollars EASILY. The amount I spent would be worth a rental and thensome. I win. So why would I be worried if this game wasn't up to par with what I wanted? Especially with ESPN Football 2k4 in the wings? NO reason to convince myself that this game is good enough.

The point is this. Until I see Comeback AI, I won't believe it exists. Until these other people see it, they won't believe it exists. YOu guys claim to witness it EVERY SINGLE TIME THE CPU NEES TO MAKE A COMEBACK (that is what you are sayin right? B/c if it's once in a while, then maybe, if I were you, I'd reconsider my character and emotions) and therefore claim it exists.

So, like I've said before. Keep whinin while I keep havin fun with my Madden 2004.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:10 PM   #27
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

YankeePride...

1) What difficulty level are you using?
2) Are you using sliders and if so, whose sliders are you using?
3) What's your current W/L record?

Comeback AI is evidently clear when the CPU has a vastly different 2nd half than their 1st half, especially 4th Quarter play.

Comeback AI includes:
-4th Quarter Human 3 & Outs
-2nd half Human unforced fumbles (ie, not using jukes, not using spin moves and being tapped by a defensive player who causes you to fumble)
-2nd half UNANSWERED CPU SCORING RUNS
-CPU LBs seem to be wearing Reebok Pumps in the 2nd half cuz they can leap in any direction and intercept a pass

For all of you saying that there is no Comeback AI, you must admit that you see a difference in CPU play from the first half to the second half.

Old 08-25-2003, 04:19 PM   #28
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

I'm playin on All-Pro.
I'm not using anyone's sliders. I use my own and the game plays fine for me. I haven't made any drastic changes with the exception of lowering interceptions for both the CPU and myself. I had originally started with lower ratings for the CPU in Offense, but I bumped that up (to the default) two games ago. So everythin is pretty much at the default level with the exception of interceptions (lower), blocking (in my benefit - just one notch up), and CPU running (increased by one notch - b/c I'm killin the CPU run).

I'm 6-2 in my Franchise.

I know exactly what this CPU Comeback thing is suppose to be, but I don't see it happenin.

As for the CPU playin differently in the second half compared to the first...sorry not happenin. I've actually played better in the second half.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:31 PM   #29
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Forget the difficulty, I wanna know what team you are using. Cause for one, if you use a great defensive team, then the cpu will defetnitley have a hard time coming back on you, comeback logic or not.

I dont know, maybe you just dont see it because you are'nt looking for it. I know when I play and I have the lead going into the fourth, I step my game up drastically and the nail biting begins because you know it will happen, but dont know when. And sometimes it does'nt happen. Not every single game, but at lease 50% of your scheduled games.

And when it does happen, you can feel it. You can feel the cpus intensity, you can feel yourself call the wrong play even though its the right play. (Hard to explain but thats just what it is) You can pretty much call a penalty before it happens. You know that on 3rd and 7, the cpu will complete the pass despite what you pick. You know that the cpus LB will pick off anythig thrown in his direction so you stay away from him and end up throwing a pick to a Safety who catches a bated ball before it hits the ground. You can call a fumble before it happens, you can guarentee that your offensive lineman will jump offsides 2 to 3 times straight because he's temporarily deaf.......on and on and on.

Its just so predictable. And so far, I've only seen maybe 5 or 6 guys claim that there is no comeback compared to maybe 50 ppl who say there is.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:40 PM   #30
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

Well, b/c of all this talk I have been lookin out for it and anytime the CPU seems to be makin a huge run I think, "Hmmm, maybe this is that comeback AI people speak of in Madden 2004." Some of the time the CPU will score, but not tie the game. Just make it more respectable (ie: instead of 21-7, it's now 21-14). The next time this seems to be happenin (as you guys describe) I always seem to kill the "rally".

Just recently I saw a situation where I threw an interception and the CPU player fumbled the ball back to me on the same play. At first I thought, "CPU Comeback?" but then whne the fumbled happend I thought, "once again, this 'comeback' is killed." Everytime the CPU seems to make this rally I kill it with an inteception, forced fumble, three and out, or a punt.

I agree that the CPU seems to play more aggressively when it is behind, but I just don't see anythin weird about it. It reminds me of myself if I'm down late in the game. The type of plays I'd go for and the anticipation I have to make the drive work. At the end, the CPU ends up failing.

I'm the Jets in my OMF (owner-mode franchise). I guess the Jets defense is pretty good and I do have a pretty good Defensive Coordinator.

I don't know. I do feel for you guys b/c if this comeback Ai is real then that sucks. Why, I haven't seen this happenin is beyond me. I hate to make it sound as if I don't care, but I can only say that until I see it I can't believe it.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:36 PM   #31
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:

YankeePride_YP said:
zzzzzz

I've said it before and I'll say it again, my comments on this have nothin to do with me tryin to boast as this great Madden player b/c I know that I am NOT.

But, the honest truth is I have not seen this comeback AI. I don't lose leads that large. I just don't. Call me lucky, call me conceited for mentionin it, call me whatever. The truth is I haven't lost any large leads and I haven't seen any of this comeback AI people talk of in Madden 2004.

I understand that many people seem to be experiencing it, but then why isn't it happenin to everyone? You guys are so quick to say that Comeback AI is alive and well and that it happens all the time the CPU needs to make a comeback, but then there are a number of guys who haven't had this happen to them.

Why? I, and these others, have already said they play on All-Pro. I have PICKED UP running back ability for the CPU. So it's not like I lowered their sliders to make the game easier for myself. I just haven't seen this comeback AI.

So far I've heard this:

1. You don't play Madden enough.

I know how much I play Madden and I know i've played enough to have seen at least ONE Comeback AI type game. Thing is, I still haven't.

2. Play Madden and NCAA and then you'll notice the difference in how the CPU comes back.

I haven't lost any big leads in NCAA so there is no way I can compare this comeback logic. I haven't even seen the CPU make this Amazing Comeback on me to even compare Madden to NCAA. So, what are you askin me to do again?

3. You are just lying/blind for your love of the game/just wanna convince yourself that this game is great.

Thanks for knowing every single aspect of my life. I dont find a need to lie on a message board. I'll leave that to the guys who boast about ways to spend less money on Franchise Mode. I already said I enjoyed NFL 2k3 last year. So what love? I also can sell the game back for over 40 dollars EASILY. The amount I spent would be worth a rental and thensome. I win. So why would I be worried if this game wasn't up to par with what I wanted? Especially with ESPN Football 2k4 in the wings? NO reason to convince myself that this game is good enough.

The point is this. Until I see Comeback AI, I won't believe it exists. Until these other people see it, they won't believe it exists. YOu guys claim to witness it EVERY SINGLE TIME THE CPU NEES TO MAKE A COMEBACK (that is what you are sayin right? B/c if it's once in a while, then maybe, if I were you, I'd reconsider my character and emotions) and therefore claim it exists.

So, like I've said before. Keep whinin while I keep havin fun with my Madden 2004.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2003, 09:39 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 3

After playing my last two games, and soundly winning, I have concluded that the comeback AI is an absolutely NON EXSISTENT in 04.

Call the right plays and you will be fine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »