Home

ESPN.com on Madden Cover Vote

This is a discussion on ESPN.com on Madden Cover Vote within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
ESPN.com on Madden Cover Vote

Touches on -- and links to -- some of the debate found on these forums:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/comme...e=hruby/110426
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: ESPN.com on Madden Cover Vote

congrats to CYST2000 for having his opinion be number one in this article.

Too bad it's (IMO) a small-minded opinion. What happens when you have a kid and he makes a mistake? Should he pay for it for the rest of his life? What happens when you make a mistake and people write you off forever? I'm big into animal rights, and I'm all for Michael Vick making his amends and moving on with his life. Mistakes are possible learning experiences that we need to allow to grow as people and as a society. We aren't perfect by nature, and we are all bound to make mistakes, even horrible mistakes.

Would you seriously not purchase a game that you want to purchase (if you want to purchase it) because of the cover? I don't really understand that logic.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdeuce

Too bad it's (IMO) a small-minded opinion. What happens when you have a kid and he makes a mistake? Should he pay for it for the rest of his life? What happens when you make a mistake and people write you off forever? I'm big into animal rights, and I'm all for Michael Vick making his amends and moving on with his life. Mistakes are possible learning experiences that we need to allow to grow as people and as a society. We aren't perfect by nature, and we are all bound to make mistakes, even horrible mistakes.

Would you seriously not purchase a game that you want to purchase (if you want to purchase it) because of the cover? I don't really understand that logic.
Well said. I really can not understand why some people have such a hard time with giving some one a 2nd chance.

It is very easy in this time to make a mistake, and get caught up with the wrong people or situation, and to not be given a 2nd chance really leaves us in a very bad situation. This is why prisoners stay criminals, and we suffer cause of it.

What Vick did was bad, but he has made great strides in learning from it, and it made him a better person. A perfect example of someone who learned from his mistake.

Now we as people need to forgive him for that mistake, so many others can see there is a chance with society if they right their wrong.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:

Vick hasn't been given a scarlet letter or shipped off to Siberia to live out the rest of his life in exile. He is a starting qb in the NFL, was voted to the pro bowl and honored with Comeback Player of the Year. His is no longer paying for his mistakes whether or not his is put on the cover of Madden.

For your second question, I support people standing up for what they believe in. I personally wouldn't not buy based on a Vick cover but I can relate. I am against the exclusive license, I haven't bought any EA game new in over 2 years now. Does it really matter to EA if I choose to do this? Probably not, but it does matter to me.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Vick hasn't been given a scarlet letter or shipped off to Siberia to live out the rest of his life in exile. He is a starting qb in the NFL, was voted to the pro bowl and honored with Comeback Player of the Year. His is no longer paying for his mistakes whether or not his is put on the cover of Madden.

For your second question, I support people standing up for what they believe in. I personally wouldn't not buy based on a Vick cover but I can relate. I am against the exclusive license, I haven't bought any EA game new in over 2 years now. Does it really matter to EA if I choose to do this? Probably not, but it does matter to me.
If you weren't hung up on the exclusivity license, and it was a good game with Vick on the cover, would you purchase the game new?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I'm happy for Vick that he has gotten his life back on track, but what he did was wrong. He made mistakes, we all do. His mistakes happened to be magnified since he was famous and very popular at the time. What I don't like is when people say he deserves a second chance from everyone. The guy messed up and was still able to return to his job after prison and make more money in a year than most of us make in a decade. If the majority of us were to go to prison for dog fighting, I highly doubt we would be getting our jobs back when we are released.

Good for him for getting his act together, but he is not going to get any sentiments from me. It is kind of similar to the whole Big Ben thing. When he came back people were saying give him a second chance, or talking about how he bounced back like he was the victim. The guy was accused of raping two girls. In my book he doesn't deserve sympathy from anyone. Innocent until proven guilty, but just because you are suspected doesn't mean you or me have to feel sorry for yourself.

Anyways, I am not going to not buy Madden if Vick is on the cover, I am going to simply print off a custom cover.

― Plato
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
If you weren't hung up on the exclusivity license, and it was a good game with Vick on the cover, would you purchase the game new?
I've never liked the Vick or his brother. I just think he is a low class petty criminal who happens to be good at football so I don't want to see him on the cover.

Having said that, yes I would buy the game with Vick on the cover because it's not about the dogs for me. I grew up on a farm in Wisconsin and have a dad who is a butcher. I've killed plenty of animals myself, although not in the same way Vick did.

Now if I was the type of person who owns dogs and watches Pit Boss every week, I probably would choose to not buy the game.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

People who do what Michael Vick did to animals usually have psychological problems not issues with making a mistake. Hanging a dog by a tree and then electrocuting him to death with a car battery is not normal behavior.

Michael Vick got his second chance when he was able to get back into the NFL and make more money than most will make in a lifetime. That doesn't mean he should get all his endorsements back and be painted all over anything that has to do with football. That is far beyond getting a second chance........and Vick of all people doesn't deserve it. I won't even get into the message your sending today's youth by saying he made a mistake. Wow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »