Home

Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long

This is a discussion on Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Must not open this thread again.

Goodbye.

Lmao.

You're no fun.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #18
Pro

Kahuma's Arena

OVR: 17

So it would seem that what really need to be fixed is WR awarness, not the 'Route-Based' Passing. Madden has route-based passing, which was a response to the OP saying there was not.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuma
So it would seem that what really need to be fixed is WR awarness, not the 'Route-Based' Passing. Madden has route-based passing, which was a response to the OP saying there was not.
That is most of the problem, but every time you throw the ball it should go along the route is made unless you use the joystick throw it somewhere differently, but then the WR should have to see that and modify his route instead of automatically knowing.

― Plato
Old 04-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 6

I've read RBP threads in the past and they've usually centered on the qb throwing the pass before the receiver makes his break and the receiver continuing on his route. I'd like to submit a few other issues:

1. QB drop back/primary receiver: AFAICT, these two things are generally not in sync. You can really tell when qb accuracy is 11 and below. On slants and curls, I've noticed that the qb hasn't finished his drop when the receiver makes his cut.

2. QB drop back/OL blocking: TBH I didn't have much of a problem in Madden 11, but in Madden 10 on quick slants, the OGs will sometimes drop back further than the qb. I suppose either Tiburon corrected the issue or I just failed to notice it.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #21
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuma

That's part of the issue. The main issue is that although it may not be accurate for people to say that there is NO RBP in Madden currently, that is a different issue from it not working the way that we feel it should.

To me, and others, as long as the majority of the time the passes are tethered to the receiver, the fact that there are only certain instances where RBP works, doesn't cut it.

Btw. In my last post I listed reasons why some of us want total RBP. Add to that list:

3- If there were complete RBP, you could actually throw the ball away, to a safe area, that isn't 50yds in the stands, like the real peoples do lol.

So many issues stem from the tethered passing game of Madden. Not least of which is the unrealistic completion percentages. Why? Because you can throw a pass at just about anytime, regardless of anything, and your receiver will almost always be able to make a play on it. Why? Because the passes are tethered to the receiver.

Last edited by Only1LT; 04-29-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 34

You can, to some extent. You wont be seeing what you are wishing for, anytime soon. A year or so, at least, if at all.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #23
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
You can, to some extent. You wont be seeing what you are wishing for, anytime soon.

I don't know if this was directed to me or the OP, but for me, I never "wish" based on what Tiburon is likely to do. I'm not that naive. I just discuss things from my perspective. Nothing more.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #24
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Yeah, Only1LT is hitting the nail on the head. And while I agree, no QB is hitting an out route seconds after a WR makes a cut, it's an example of the game mechanics and how the game treats a pass before, during, and after a WR makes a cut. The pass is tethered to the WR, not the route.

I urge you guys to give it a try. Take a route such as a deep post or perhaps an out and up type of route. Throw the ball early, such as when the WR is making the "slant" in a sluggo route.

In the NFL, a proper rush should be able to, if nothing else, disrupt the QB and throw off timing, which can lead to picks, etc. In Madden, you can still make this throw so long as the WR is "open" at that given moment, regardless of the route he's running, his position, etc. Just throw the ball, and your QB and WR will be in sync. YES, some routes gets messed up, but I know I'm often able to hit routes at any point and the ball will find the WR, so long as he's open.

On the flip side, I've thrown passes too early, expecting to hit my WR between zone coverages, only to find my QB throwing right into coverage. For example, a deep post where I throw the ball, my WR doesn't cut yet, and I end up heaving a deep go route. Bam, I'm picked. Had my QB thrown based on the route (and no, pressing the directional stick in the direction of the post doesn't cause it to follow the route, it just leads my WR more to that side), it would've been a huge gain or, if nothing else, a grass ball. In that situation, if I throw the ball too early, my WR wouldn't have made his cut soon enough, and I would've been off in my timing. That could've led to a DB picking off the ball. In that situation, I should've learned, as a QB, to simply eat the sack instead of rushing my pass.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »