Home

Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long

This is a discussion on Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31
Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long

The one gripe I've had for years, when I play Madden, is that I throw picks because I throw the ball a split second before my WR makes his cut, and the ball sails to a DB. I really wish we'd see a better passing system that took routes into consideration. There's no reason a WR should just magically keep running forward (especially when he isn't looking at the QB) simply because I threw the ball just before he made his break.

Last edited by Broncos86; 04-29-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long

I agree 100% I really hope we see this in 12.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Usually when I pass the ball right before my WR makes his cut it goes where he is making his cut. I used to abuse comeback and out routes last year online because they're as bad as 2k8 when you get the timing down on throwing it right before the cut. I think route based passing is there, the window of timing is just really small.

― Plato
Old 04-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

I completely agree with this!! I think besides the lack of a real locomotion and footplanting engine. (I know they added locomotion last year but it is no where near FIFA's engine) The passing game is Madden's biggest flaw at the moment.

I think next year passing will be the main thing that the Madden team is focused on. They need to fix everything from velocity of the passes, to the ability to put more touch on the pass, and route based passing. They also need to improve WR/DB interaction to help the defense counter a better passing system in man to man coverage.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

I'll give you an example: Take your TE, who is supposed to run a post. But here comes the blitz! You quickly throw the ball, and he catches it... while running a go route? It's because you threw the ball before he ever made his cut.

Try throwing a corner fade route before your WR makes the cut. And I don't mean just before, I mean several seconds before. I want the ability to get that ball in the air to the corner of the endzone in a manner so that I'm arcing the ball over the DB, and it's going to hit the corner when my WR gets there.

I believe (speculation) there's a window just before your WR visibly makes his cut that in-game, the CPU WR has decided to make his cut. Since the WR has made the decision, your QB magically is aware of this and throws based on the decided new route of direction your WR takes. I want to be able to throw a lob over the LBs to my TE's post before he even decides to make that cut, so that when he does, he's going to run under the ball and be off and away.

I'd rather my QB throw based on where my WR SHOULD be and the WR mess up and I get picked. At least then I can blame my WR for his terrible route-running.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Pro

Kahuma's Arena

OVR: 17

There is route-based passing in Madden, but you must use the direction passing with it. Unfortunately it is harder to do because it was extremely overpowered. In reality not all starting QBs can make on-the-money route passes, some must wait until they make their cuts.

Also playing on All-Madden will hinder this because DBs jump routes alot so something its better to just wait until after the cut. Average QB + Low RR WR = Picked/Bad Pass alot when trying to throw before cuts. It takes highly accurate QBs and good RR WRs to do this, but it is there.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
I'll give you an example: Take your TE, who is supposed to run a post. But here comes the blitz! You quickly throw the ball, and he catches it... while running a go route? It's because you threw the ball before he ever made his cut.

Try throwing a corner fade route before your WR makes the cut. And I don't mean just before, I mean several seconds before. I want the ability to get that ball in the air to the corner of the endzone in a manner so that I'm arcing the ball over the DB, and it's going to hit the corner when my WR gets there.

I believe (speculation) there's a window just before your WR visibly makes his cut that in-game, the CPU WR has decided to make his cut. Since the WR has made the decision, your QB magically is aware of this and throws based on the decided new route of direction your WR takes. I want to be able to throw a lob over the LBs to my TE's post before he even decides to make that cut, so that when he does, he's going to run under the ball and be off and away.

I'd rather my QB throw based on where my WR SHOULD be and the WR mess up and I get picked. At least then I can blame my WR for his terrible route-running.

So many threads on this. Ah... the memories lol.

I'm with you on this. The crazy thing is that Madden was the gold standard for RBP, once upon a time. They even had a dedicated button for it.

Again, memories lol.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Kahuma, you seem to be talking about leading the receiver and placing the ball in a spot (high, low, behind, ahead). But if your WR runs an out route, and you throw that ball several seconds before he makes his break to the outside, your QB is going to throw that ball as if your WR is supposed to run a go route.

Only1LT: I know, and I agree with you. I do remember the button. Was that Madden 04? I absolutely loved that feature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »