Home

Will Ratings Matter for Offensive Line Play?

This is a discussion on Will Ratings Matter for Offensive Line Play? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Will Ratings Matter for Offensive Line Play?

offensive lineman ratings definitly matter in the run game. I have no doubt what so ever, I had a RG that was 92 overall and used the star player on him, he progressed to a 98. He is DOMINANTE. Elite O-linemen DEFINITLY block MUCH better than average o-linemen. Maybe snapping the ball no, maybe pass-protection no.

But i am 100% sure there is a big difference in how well a 90 overall and a 98 overall offensive lineman blocks in the run game. In my franchise with my brother, we play all madden, i have dedicated myself to my o-line, 93-C, 97-LG, 98 - LT, 98 - RG, 97 - RT. I averaged 7 yards per carry with a 84 overall HB. I get ALOT more pancake blocks, they hold longer on dives. And the logic on counters and power-o is MUUUUCH better.

don't say it doesn't matter. Don't make fake players. But play a game running with a bunch of 85 linemen, then trade for Long, Staley, Mangold, Clady, and some other high O-line. And watch all the huge holes, the high number of pancakes. I've seen soooo many Ss and MLBs get DROPPED its funny.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmo Bowl
SO you think a punter could go a full game playing OL one on one with a DL and actually block him for a few plays?
Depends on the punter - and the D-lineman. In the 30-sum years that I've been watching NFL football, I've seen some kickers and punters that I'd be more apt to make this wager than others to win 2 plays out of 30.

Later
Old 05-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin18
offensive lineman ratings definitly matter in the run game. I have no doubt what so ever, I had a RG that was 92 overall and used the star player on him, he progressed to a 98. He is DOMINANTE. Elite O-linemen DEFINITLY block MUCH better than average o-linemen. Maybe snapping the ball no, maybe pass-protection no.

But i am 100% sure there is a big difference in how well a 90 overall and a 98 overall offensive lineman blocks in the run game. In my franchise with my brother, we play all madden, i have dedicated myself to my o-line, 93-C, 97-LG, 98 - LT, 98 - RG, 97 - RT. I averaged 7 yards per carry with a 84 overall HB. I get ALOT more pancake blocks, they hold longer on dives. And the logic on counters and power-o is MUUUUCH better.

don't say it doesn't matter. Don't make fake players. But play a game running with a bunch of 85 linemen, then trade for Long, Staley, Mangold, Clady, and some other high O-line. And watch all the huge holes, the high number of pancakes. I've seen soooo many Ss and MLBs get DROPPED its funny.
I'm not going to disagree, but just tell me why Michael Oher is getting his arse whipped then? I'm not understanding it. Another player in my league has Clady and Clady gave up 3 sacks to DE Trammel. Let me give you Trammel's ratings vs Clady.

Trammel Speed 84, Strength 95, Agility 78, Accel 88, Power Move 95, Block Shed 91, Pursuit 72.

vs

Clady Speed 69, Strength 94, Agility 74, Accel 85, IBL 95, PBS 99, PBF 99

He said every time he dropped back Clady was getting his arse whipped and Trammel got 3 sacks. The other owner did not even have to blitz because Trammel was all over the place. I played the same owner and he had Trammel go up against my right tackle West. My RT is:

West Speed 57, Strength 99, Agility 72, Accel 80, IBL 75, PBS 91, PBF 94

I had to resort to quick passes because everytime I dropped back to pass my RT was getting his tail whipped, within like 2 seconds. As a result as a team my line gave up 0 sacks. But every pass being quick is kinda ughhh. What ratings are meshing together to get these type of results? Right now, I have to leave TE's over on the left side to help Oher and I still only have like 3 seconds. I'm winning my games but it doesn't make sense to me how my line is getting whipped like it is.

In the last game against the Chiefs: Oher was getting Flacco killed

Oher Speed 61, Strength 95, Agility 66, Accel 85 IBL 97, PBS 90, PBF 79

vs

Dion Cooper Speed 58, Strength 89, Agility 70, Accel 95, PMV 88, FMV 72, BSH 76

I got hit from the left side at least 10 times on my 21 pass attempts. Cooper finished with 1 sack. Oher got handled. When I put a TE over there to help he got destroyed too. It was like the time it took him to get to Flacco was the same no matter if I left an extra blocker or not. Explain this stuff to me because I'm just not getting it. If I could get this type of pressure with 4 players I would be laughing like Jack Nicholson as the Joker.

Last edited by LBzrule; 05-23-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Looks like I'm going to have to start doing OL analysis again. I did it for one season in a franchise I was in with Madden 10. Going to have to start doing it again. Only problem is you can't see all the replays But I always keep track of how many times I'm getting pressured and how many guys I left in to protect. I just don't understand what's happen ratings wise why some of these guys get beat up front like they do.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Also explain to me, how Sergio Kindle is not doing much when I put him at DE:

Kindle stat line

Speed 80, Strength 67, Agility 82, Accel 97, PMV 81, FMV 97, BSH 80

He's 7 sacks away from being the all time leader in my Online Franchise but I've had to get him free for him to get sacks. Rarely will he beat anybody. Why is that? Based on his stat line you would think he's a terror. His stat line is better than that DE for the Chiefs that I listed above that hit Flacco 10/21 and came away with 1 sack. What gives?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #22
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I'm not sure why the idea that ratings don't mean anything... Unless they let the CPU do everything AND only broadcast the parts that prove their point (ie O-line made of punters, kickers, and Qb's). When players actually control a big lineman like Suh, it's simple and easy to shove the punter to the side and get a pass rush. It's even easier on run plays.

In a more practical sense. When people audible down from Quarters to a 4 man line, the 7th DB moves to the DT spot. EVERYTIME I see opponent's do this, I audible and run right at the DB on a 3-pt stance for an average of 4-6 yards. Why? Size matters.

Also, I've also noticed that I can run right ALL DAY with my Panthers, but could not do the same with the Cardinals. Why? Ratings matter.

Of course, someone will do something STUPID to try to prove the ratings don't matter when all they are really proving is that they aren't very smart.

I'd like to see someone make these silly personnel changes (P and K to O-Line) and play an ENTIRE GAME instead of focusing on the one or two plays where a little guy actually makes a good block. I'd be willing to bet that the O-Line consisting of kickers, punters, and backup QB's will perform poorly. Why? Ratings matter.

Always beware anyone that says "This should never happen" as part of their point. Reason being, their entire argument is based using something that would never happen as a means to prove something would never happen. We should be laughing because some fool put a Punter at center, not because of the 15 replays of the two plays where the punter actually made a good block.

Later
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
....2) I have actually seen the CPU teams in franchise mode, place a punter on the offensive line, WITHOUT converting them into an offensive lineman. Me and my friend control the CPU team of each others weekly opponent in our franchise. Whenever a CPU controlled team's game is played by a user, they can NOT change the CPU teams depth chart. The user has to do in-game formation subs to make any changes to the CPU teams on-field personnel. Countless time, I have played with CPU controlled teams that have so many offensive line injuries, that punters will be starting on the offensive line, out on the field. Now, I always take the time to formation sub them out of each formation but you get the point....
I guess the R&B group The Main Ingredient was right. "Everybody plays the fool, sometime, [the CPU is] no exception to the rule." LOL
Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 8

The NFL has recognized that the offensive/defensive lines are the foundation of a good football team. They have rewarded them with big $$’s and have been drafting them in the top 10 for the last five years. Colts, Giants, Patriots success is directly related to line play (Peyton is always saying how smart they are).
I think the Madden football game would vastly be improved by assigning the time need to make the line play interaction as “real” as they can.

Sven Draconian asked Ian “Are we ever going to see blockers with clear assignments on running plays? Is Madden (or NCAA for that matter) ever going to implement plays like traps, belly’s or other assignment based on running plays? I'll see a play called "trap" and see a guard pull...and they just kind of move in the direction with no real purpose. Likewise, they never "trap" anybody; it’s just a pulling guard.

The same can be said for fullbacks lead blocking. Will we ever see them assigned to block a certain player? They go through the hole and just go past the person they are clearly supposed to block. Its one thing if they just missed, but they don't even make an attempt.

Ian answer: “I'd love to go in this direction personally, so we'll see what we have time for next year. Our current run-block AI doesn't handle these situations very well and we all are hoping for the time needed for an overhaul.”

Is Madden 2010 “next year”? Wait, it's Madden 2012

I posted this for Madden 2009!!!! [b]NEED A LITTLE HELP HERE , Let's make it happen this year.........

Last edited by Agame; 05-23-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 AM   #24
Banned

Goldenboy00's Arena

OVR: 0

i will say no, they usually don't

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »