Home

Video - Donny Moore discusses dymanic ratings

This is a discussion on Video - Donny Moore discusses dymanic ratings within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #33
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Video - Donny Moore discusses dymanic ratings

I believe clutch is alot more perception than anything.Take Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady,Peyton has been statistically better the past several seasons in playoff games yet everyone feels Brady is Mr. Clutch and Peyton isn't.Brady was many years ago but then a Brady vs. Manning argument could be turned into a Vinatieri vs. Vanderjagt,which Imo is valid if you really want to delve into why key games in both careers went the way they did.

Aaron Rodgers would've been considered a choker but proved people wrong last year and Eli had a postseason that somewhat saved the perception of him in his career thus far.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 9

I'm glad that there will be a clutch rating, but I can also see where the OP is coming from. In sense, there is no change in the performance of a clutch player when there is a high pressure situation. That's why the clutch player is "clutch." The pressure doesn't faze him.

When there is a change in performance due to a high pressure situation in a game, that change is negative ( when a player chokes) rather than positive. That being said, dynamic ratings will make this game more organic if they work as advertised. It's about time EA tried to simulate intangibles, because that's a big part of football and sports in general.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #35
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
Nobody gets better though. That's the thing.

Most guys play the same. Some worse. There's no getting better.

I liken what I think Madden's clutch will be like to All Pro Football 2K8. The clutch rating in that game made "clutch" guys do ridiculous things at the ends of games. What should happen is that the lesser players get a bit worse (or at least some of them). There really is no way to just magically play "better" as a professional athlete. They wouldn't be there if they didn't know how to play to their highest ability all the time.

agreed that no-one gets better but its a 0 sum game here....lower all the other players ratings around the clutch player or just "raise" the clutch players ratings....the result will be the same....make sense?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #36
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
Ratings boosts are Madden's way of portraying 'clutch'. I don't see a need for a ratings boost, when you have a confidence rating. If a player has high confidence, he will most likely make the big plays late in the game regardless of his name. And players who are very consistent, generally have a higher confidence in their abilities, which makes them more likely to be 'clutch' on key plays.
Confidence is a trait that only impacts players after a game, not during a game. A player with high confidence won't play any different in the first quarter than the fourth quarter due to the confidence rating.

I also haven't read anything about a consistant player having higher confidence ratings. In fact, every player will ship with a 3 star confidence, and that will very based on how they perform in the previous game. Non of this relates to the clutch rating which is an in game rating change.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #37
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnuskis
Confidence is a trait that only impacts players after a game, not during a game. A player with high confidence won't play any different in the first quarter than the fourth quarter due to the confidence rating.

I also haven't read anything about a consistant player having higher confidence ratings. In fact, every player will ship with a 3 star confidence, and that will very based on how they perform in the previous game. Non of this relates to the clutch rating which is an in game rating change.
I wasn't talking directly about Madden's confidence and consistency ratings, but how 'clutch' is perceived in the real world. Performance is linked to confidence - even for pros.

However, the fact that confidence in Madden isn't dynamic during a game is a shame, because confidence is affect by every snap. I'd prefer to see the confidence change during gameplay, because, as I pointed out earlier, I think it's a much better indicator for whether a players is 'clutch' than a 'clutch' rating. Why not use the confidence rating for that purpose, when it's in the game?
Old 06-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #38
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Show me where people are complaining about it.

All I have seen is a discussion on the true existence of clutch.
This is true but this discussion seems nonconstructive in relation to Madden 12 because of the fact of how "clutch" will work this year, will probably not change. Also, considering that being a "clutch" player in Madden 12 means those players and a select few around them receive ratings boosts, it should adequately, even if not accurately, represent what happens in real life pressure situations, which is a good first step.

I think it would be far more constructive and fruitful to discuss how EA can build on this first step of acknowledging pressure situations in Madden, in the future. I look at "clutch" and other DPP features as first editions that can be built upon and tuned in the future to better represent real life risk/reward in video games.

Next year, it would be great to see them utilize these dynamic ratings to lower each players ratings, according to their confidence, in numerous specific type pressure situations. Rivalry, 4th quarter, 2 min drill, 4th down, Loud crowd noise, Prime time, Overtime, First time Homecoming(playing on the road against a team they recently played for), Potential record breaking, Playoff clinching, Playoff and Super Bowl games, could ALL have various and combined affects on each player's ratings/traits.

However, if 1-2 years from now, this "first edition" is still the one being used in Madden, then I would have a real problem with that.

Last edited by Thinking Out Loud; 06-04-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #39
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
I wasn't talking directly about Madden's confidence and consistency ratings, but how 'clutch' is perceived in the real world. Performance is linked to confidence - even for pros.

However, the fact that confidence in Madden isn't dynamic during a game is a shame, because confidence is affect by every snap. I'd prefer to see the confidence change during gameplay, because, as I pointed out earlier, I think it's a much better indicator for whether a players is 'clutch' than a 'clutch' rating. Why not use the confidence rating for that purpose, when it's in the game?

I think the way players are changing during the game works very close to what you are saying. I just think the labels of what you are saying and what they are calling it are different. But the end result is the same. If a player isn't getting the ball early in the game their ratings can drop(ie confidence drops) thus effecting their performance at the end of the game.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #40
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
agreed that no-one gets better but its a 0 sum game here....lower all the other players ratings around the clutch player or just "raise" the clutch players ratings....the result will be the same....make sense?
I agree. I think people need to remember it's a game and the idea is the simulation of variance in results, so regardless of the way you approach it, the results will work out roughly the same.

In fact, I actually think it's preferable to boost a handful of ratings than dropping a bunch, simply because you are messing with less guys (therefore there is less chance to greatly throw off the balance of the game).

The only concern I have with "clutch" in games is where guys play significantly better than they really are because of it. Tom Brady being clutch in a game doesn't worry me, simply because he's already great so the boost will be minor. Giving a lesser player a big boost might stand out more (I'm thinking NBA 2K here-where guys with high clutch ratings turned into cyborgs...lol).

Hopefully these traits are fully editable so people can turn them on/off to their liking.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »