Home

Who is Clutch?

This is a discussion on Who is Clutch? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #25
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Who is Clutch?

Personally, there are three people who are "clutch" to me; Adam Vinatieri, Ben Roethlisberger, and Larry Fitzgerald. I don't think anyone else comes off to me as especially clutch. It should be reserved for those who consistently perform in the toughest situations... I don't think Manning and Brady have really done that. Brady used too, but not lately, and Manning... well, except for his one Superbowl year, his teams have been really disappointing in the playoffs.

Roethlisberger and Fitzgerald, on the other hand, go from being great to being ridiculous in the playoffs. The go to a whole new level that defies logic. Maybe it's premature to include Fitz since he only has one playoff run, but that one playoff was so good I think he deserves it.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampshire2012
http://footballoutsiders.com/ramblin...ack-efficiency

Here's the list of the most statistically clutch QB's from 2000 to 2010, including playoffs. Surprising, isn't it? Now there is a huge amount of relatively complicated statistics in there, but I think the underlying message is neatly summed up with:

"Any statistic based on a relatively small data set is inherently suspect."

Basically looking at this list for the most part shows if a qb has a good offense they are more likely to score on a drive in the fourth quarter. Makes sense. If they are good the first three quarters they are good in the fourth quarter.

There are just a handful of people that stand out on this list though that are either better or worse than they should be. And this is what makes a player clutch or a choker. Eli definately stands out to be better in the 4th quarter than the rest of the game because he does not score that frequently all game long. So does Jake Plummer. Brett Favre is way down on the list as is Kurt Warner.

I also don't consider 100 drives a small sample size small. I would think anything over 50 to be fairly representative to how these guys play.

Matty Ice's numbers are sick by the way.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 15

Brett Favre, you either gonna lose by a INT or win the game, i'd personally take him over anyone.

My Mariners dynasty!
XBL Gamertag- xLMJx21
Old 06-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #28
Pro

HeavyHitter55's Arena

OVR: 10

@adembroski, could you shed some light on how much the clutch trait actually effects a player and his teammates? I think once we know this, we could properly assign the clutch trait to the correct players.

RIP J.J.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #29
Rookie

lowndsy's Arena

OVR: 2

I thought it was written that someone with clucth will raise the awareness of there side of the ball in the last part of a game!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #30
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett the jet favre
Brett Favre, you either gonna lose by a INT or win the game, i'd personally take him over anyone.
Sound reasoning..,,,
Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #31
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Personally, there are three people who are "clutch" to me; Adam Vinatieri, Ben Roethlisberger, and Larry Fitzgerald. I don't think anyone else comes off to me as especially clutch. It should be reserved for those who consistently perform in the toughest situations... I don't think Manning and Brady have really done that. Brady used too, but not lately, and Manning... well, except for his one Superbowl year, his teams have been really disappointing in the playoffs.

Roethlisberger and Fitzgerald, on the other hand, go from being great to being ridiculous in the playoffs. The go to a whole new level that defies logic. Maybe it's premature to include Fitz since he only has one playoff run, but that one playoff was so good I think he deserves it.
Fitzgerald has too small sample size and Roethlisberger has been the benefactor of great running games and great defenses. His career play-offs stats include 19 TD and 16 Ints (3 TDs and 5 Ints in the Superbowl) Plus throw in the fact that he has missed the play-offs two years in a row after winning a Super Bowl.

In a team sport "Clutch" is overrated. Can you really blame Brady for being sacked (13 times) or even knocked down the past 3 play-off games (Giants, Ravens, Jets). Also, people used to say Elway wasnt clutch because he never won a Super Bowl. Enter Terrel Davis and a solid rnning game and now he is one of the greatest QBs ever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #32
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

OVR: 11
I am amazed and appalled that not one person has mentioned Andre Johnson. The guy has done nothing but make clutch plays throughout his time with the Texans with the most recent being the Washington game last year where he made the game winning catch with a severely sprained ankle.

No list is complete with AJ.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »