Home

The one major reason why Madden isn't real football (yet)

This is a discussion on The one major reason why Madden isn't real football (yet) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: The one major reason why Madden isn't real football (yet)

All I can say to this thread and many responses is "WOW that mine get closed". lol
Old 06-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 4

Ratings should be hidden...How realistic is it for someone to go through a ddraft and sort the draft board by ratings from 10-100 or whatever it is...You know everybody sorts speed first and choose based on speed. That shouldnt be the case and until other ratings matter, speed will always be king...

Drafting should be based on scouting/combine stats not one man's opinion which leads to players attributes should be based on performance.

I find it unfortunate that the "ratings czar" tweets that he just made a 96 speed TE...

Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Responses like this are cute. To those who want to respond this way, we get it. It's not witty. But that being said, many gamers here are constantly complaining about things that happen in the NFL that do not happen in Madden. That destroys this "it's a video game" attitude, because this community strives for a Madden that more closely resembles the NFL.
Then maybe he should change to the title because regardless of what type of game he wants or you wants there isn't ever going to be a REAL Football or basketball game if it's a video game 1st

I'm just making a point and trust me i'm all for sports video games having some form or realism intsalled into them close to what we see on the basketball court or football field.....but i also realize it's a disk i put in my XBOX 360 and i'm not going to feel rain drops hit my head while playing the game.

truth is we aren't ever going to get real football just a game trying to represent real football and unfortunately some people will want exactly what the OP is asking for even though it's a GAME on a DISK

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 7

The reason why Madden isnt real football yet (I know no game will ever be) is because they are still using the same technology used in Madden 2001, they just tweet it every year, and add more stuff to it. Madden needs a dynamic phyiscs engine like NHL 12 or Backbreaker, everything in Madden is pre-dertermined, robotic, and nothing is natural, the same goes for the commentary too.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #37
Rookie

fahrenheit's Arena

OVR: 7

The logic here is flawed, in Madden we are not the fans we are the coach's/GM's. They do know who is the better player, and how much better that player is. Sure there are some mistakes when a no name player plays better than the starter, but thats pretty rare.

You do have a point though, in Madden we simply create a roster choose a playbook and then play the games, which is a Hershey kiss compared to real life. The thing that makes real life football so interesting is the commitment that the players and coaches make, every part of the game is crafted and the coaches control almost every facet of the game from how each person plays to exactly how the running game works. In madden they can't simulate this because it would be so time consuming no one would play the game, but until they can recreate this it won't feel like real football.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 5

I think hiding ratings would make it much too long to evaluate 70+ players on your team, and also try and evaluate your players compared to all the free agents and players on other teams.

The way I think you could make hiding ratings, especially overall work, is if there were an efficient way to compare players, not just one to many but compare all players. Something like having assistant coaches comparing players for you, and even having them consider your offensive and defensive schemes. Having assistant coaches helping you decide who is best to keep on the team, pick up in free agency, or trade.

Something like asking an assistant coach who they think is your best choice at LT.

Otherwise, it would just take far too long trying to evaluate each player individually.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 16
I didn't finish reading through the whole thread, but just thought I'd note that I (personally) don't simply start player A over player B because A is a 76 whereas B is a 69.

For example, in my Bills franchise, going into season 2 I had Colt McCoy (76 - acquired in trade), Josh Johnson (73 - FA signing) and Brian Brohm (69) competing for the QB job. After giving all of them equal pt in the preseason, Brohm performed the best. I gave him the starting job, made McCoy backup, and eventually traded Johnson and signed Leinart.

Brohm played fairly well (all things considered) but after a tough loss I decided to shake things up and give McCoy a chance to start. He did poorly. Later gave Leinart a chance and he played fairly well for the rest of the season.

In that offseason I traded McCoy and drafted a QB in the first round, I believe rated a 78. But after his poor showing in preseason I chose to start Leinart going into season 3. Hopefully he plays better next chance he gets though.

Also, the previous season drafted a safety in the 2nd round (progressed to an 80) but then I just recently drafted another in the 4th (rated 84). However I prefer the 80-rated SS style of play so, at least for the time being he's the starter.

Will I use ratings sometimes to determine who will be the backup left guard, etc? Sure. But my starting positions are earned based on performance.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 16
But more onto the topic of the original post, I could get on bored with a scouting/rating system, where you're scouting team grades your/other teams' players in certain areas (perhaps reflected in letter grades) and how good your scouting department is will determine how exact those grades are.

Although there would still of course be actual ratings "under the hood"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »