Home

Madden 12 grass needs work

This is a discussion on Madden 12 grass needs work within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #41
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Madden 12 grass needs work

Wow... what? I want to make a joke about Smoke6 posting in a thread on grass, but I'll just refrain.

The grass looks fine, I closed an earlier thread on grass problems week ago, but I'll leave this open, since there is actual discussion...kinda.

Grass is NOT the problem with Madden. That's just my opinion
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #42
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead

Those other things relate to 3d grass in the same way. Forming and breaking trust between the developers and the gamers. When Madden fans wonder why there is hate for EA, you can look at those things as ways EA has played their part in creating that hate.
LOLORZ!!!

10 char.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #43
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

If grass doesn't physically come through my TV on every tackle (even on turf btw) then I'm not giving EA any money.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #44
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
In all the screen shots they showed when info started, did they ever mention that this would only be noticeable in replays? In the e3 vids its not even noticeable in post play shots.
To clarify, when I say "replay" I'm referring to the presentation post-play replays. I'm sure you get that, I just wanted to clarify because I re-read what I wrote and it seemed like it might be too ambiguous.

Would you really expect 3D grass to be noticeable from the default playing camera? To be honest, I wouldn't, with the perspective that angle offers.

Quote:
Those other things relate to 3d grass in the same way. Forming and breaking trust between the developers and the gamers. When Madden fans wonder why there is hate for EA, you can look at those things as ways EA has played their part in creating that hate.
I don't know that "EA hate" was part of this thread until you mentioned it. There was a discussion about grass coloration, and then some spin-off onto field size and/or field art/paint lines. 3D grass is in, and it's in at camera angles where you would expect to see it. There's no bait and switch going on with it. Seems like you just wanted to complain about the other stuff for the sake of it.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #45
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
To clarify, when I say "replay" I'm referring to the presentation post-play replays. I'm sure you get that, I just wanted to clarify because I re-read what I wrote and it seemed like it might be too ambiguous.

Would you really expect 3D grass to be noticeable from the default playing camera? To be honest, I wouldn't, with the perspective that angle offers.

I don't know that "EA hate" was part of this thread until you mentioned it. There was a discussion about grass coloration, and then some spin-off onto field size and/or field art/paint lines. 3D grass is in, and it's in at camera angles where you would expect to see it. There's no bait and switch going on with it. Seems like you just wanted to complain about the other stuff for the sake of it.
For the record, the way the grass looks doesn't bother me at all. It is exactly how I expected it to look. My point was that EA lead off madden 12 info with screens proudly displaying 3d grass as if it was a major improvement. Yet here we are discussing how "the grass needs work".

Maybe I came across wrong, but my complaint was geared more towards the EA "hypemachine" than the look of the grass in Madden 12.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2011, 03:11 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Wow... what? I want to make a joke about Smoke6 posting in a thread on grass, but I'll just refrain.

The grass looks fine, I closed an earlier thread on grass problems week ago, but I'll leave this open, since there is actual discussion...kinda.

Grass is NOT the problem with Madden. That's just my opinion
Lol, I get where you were going with that joke in mind.

As far as the grass, its just one of those things lime the cosmetics of the game, I wear jordans because not only do I look nice in them, but I feel like I get hangtime when I play in them.

But if you're gonna do grass then let's make sure it fits and works right I guess.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #47
MVP

R9NALD9's Arena

OVR: 16

This is relevant IMO...I always felt the grass doesn't look realistic at all....as pointed out by the op.

I would love it if they could make the grass look more natural and realistic...it's waaaay too bright and spotty at the moment.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 49

First, I just want to say that this is a graphics issue. I fully believe gameplay is the most important issue with the current state of Madden, and I have plenty things to bring up in that area. This issue is related to the art team, which is completely different from the gameplay related team. To me, this is probably the #1 art error as of right now.

Here is a few images from Madden 06. What happened to this grass? It was perfect the way it was. Why add extra shading to it, when that could be used towards another area? This looks real, and just look how the players pop off the field. Imagine Madden 2012 player models with this field of play!

and now Madden 09-11 grass............

These pictures should be enough now to plead my case to EA. My hope of this thread is to get the Madden art director to see enough people want him to get the field to look correct again. It is really important to the look of the game. Specially to sim players who don't want that arcade feel.

Last edited by wheelman990; 06-22-2011 at 10:08 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »