Home

EA's new attempt at replicating player vision.

This is a discussion on EA's new attempt at replicating player vision. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #41
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: EA's new attempt at replicating player vision.

I dig this for FIFA. It would be great in Madden for non QBs.

For the QB though, yeah, we need something the opponent can see to replicated "reading the QB's eyes". But it needs to be much less intrusive than the vision cone of the past. I've been recommending:

-Same as the vision cone, but instead of the visible cone, only give icons to WRs in the QB's line of sight coupled with the QB's head/shoulders turning towards those areas of the field. Still allow the QB to throw to WRs not in his line of sight, but you have to wait for a turn & look animation before he releases the ball.

-Break the field up into 1-3 sections so that the best QBs can see all of the field at once, the 2nd tier has to scan 2 halves & the 3rd tier has to scan 3 thirds. Or make the top tier scan 2, 2nd scan 3 & the 3rd scan 4 so the defense still has something to read for the top tier and we get to see the animations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #42
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I dig this for FIFA. It would be great in Madden for non QBs.

For the QB though, yeah, we need something the opponent can see to replicated "reading the QB's eyes". But it needs to be much less intrusive than the vision cone of the past. I've been recommending:

-Same as the vision cone, but instead of the visible cone, only give icons to WRs in the QB's line of sight coupled with the QB's head/shoulders turning towards those areas of the field. Still allow the QB to throw to WRs not in his line of sight, but you have to wait for a turn & look animation before he releases the ball.

-Break the field up into 1-3 sections so that the best QBs can see all of the field at once, the 2nd tier has to scan 2 halves & the 3rd tier has to scan 3 thirds. Or make the top tier scan 2, 2nd scan 3 & the 3rd scan 4 so the defense still has something to read for the top tier and we get to see the animations.

Not bad ideas, and much better than nothing.

At a minimum I'd like them to use this FIFA tech in Madden. As long as you had to face the receiver to throw, you could still read the QB. Which is all that the D can do in real life as well. They see what direction the QB is facing and have an idea of who he is looking at, but if there are multiple receivers in the area, or receivers of different depths, they don't know exactly who he is looking at.

They would need to change the animation and locomotion for the QB in the pocket though so that he actually pivots instead of always being oriented towards passing over the middle. It would also help immensely if they changed the camera angle to make it more visible.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #43
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

IMO the best way to represent passing in football ball videogame is the double tap system.

It's not prefect, but it's probably the easiest upgrade that would be accepted by casual fans. I think AWR would affect how quickly you locate your next target. Manning and Brady vision isn't better than Vick's it was their knowledge of the offense and knowing where everybody is that makes them better passer. As you can see with Vick recent success. Once he took the time to prefect his craft locating his 3rd and 4th options increased.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #44
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
An under the hood vision attribute will not interfere with the game as a vision cone did, but you still get the same effect. You could perhaps make the receiver button transparent when a receiver wasn't in your vision, to indicate that any attempt at passing to that receiver would be inaccurate, but I don't believe in limiting the user and removing passing options entirely.
I like the premise behind this idea -- but if we can't control where the vision is, I don't know how well received that would be. I think we are years away from progressions being programmed into passing plays...who knows if we'll ever reach that level of depth.

I know Ian and the previous regime really wanted nothing to do with overhauling the passing game -- or at least that's what he has said in the past. With some new blood, maybe we can see some spice added. It would be a welcomed change, as long as it's not something to radical.

I've given up the fight on overhauling the pass game, but I still think trigger passing (NFL Fever) is the most intuitive option. A lot can be done with velocity if we could control the various degrees of a pass with trigger.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #45
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I like the premise behind this idea -- but if we can't control where the vision is, I don't know how well received that would be. I think we are years away from progressions being programmed into passing plays...who knows if we'll ever reach that level of depth.

I know Ian and the previous regime really wanted nothing to do with overhauling the passing game -- or at least that's what he has said in the past. With some new blood, maybe we can see some spice added. It would be a welcomed change, as long as it's not something to radical.

I've given up the fight on overhauling the pass game, but I still think trigger passing (NFL Fever) is the most intuitive option. A lot can be done with velocity if we could control the various degrees of a pass with trigger.

I'm knocking on wood as I write this lol.

Trigger passing is an idea i had thought of before and could be something that is beneficial. The all powerful tethering though, will throw a monkey wrench in just about anything they try to do to the passing game. That's, quite possibly, the biggest issue plaguing the passing game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #46
Defensive POTY

TheRealTodd's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
IMO the best way to represent passing in football ball videogame is the double tap system.
Double tapping sounds awesome, once to have the QB look at the receiver, hit it a second time to throw, the more time between button presses, the better the throw.

This could make reading the defence really effective, for example I see my #1 receiver in single coverage, and the D is showing blitz, either pre-snap or right after the snap, I hit his icon and stare him down, wait for him to get open, hit him in the chest, in stride, and watch him dance to the endzone. At the same time I'm giving up my other options, and if he's on Revis Island I'm going to have to make a riskier throw to another receiver.

Guys like Peyton could make passes on a really quick double tap, while rookies need to take a bit longer. Just an idea...
Old 07-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #47
Banned

R0M0mentum09's Arena

OVR: 0

Yay finally Romo's pocket awareness could accurately be simulated!
See here: http://youtu.be/v5bAIc5DLRk

Last edited by R0M0mentum09; 07-18-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #48
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
I love the mechanism they had in the vision cone days, where you could hold down a shoulder button and press the receiver icon to look his way and then a second press (without holding the shoulder button) to throw. I don't think a pure double tap system wouldn't be received well, as a majority of gamers wouldn't be able to appreciate it.

However, regardless of double tap system or not, it doesn't change the fact that it would only affect human controlled QBs. There should still be a vision system implemented that would affect CPU controlled QBs and their decision making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36

What FIFA's vision system does is pretty simple. It won't affect the users directly, as the vision cone is facing the way the player looks. That's the only element you, as the user, control. E.g. if you scramble right, your vision cone will face towards the right side of the field. That way it is not intrusive to the gamers, but still something you have to think about when playing. Controlling the vision cone have been attempted before, but that wasn't a success, so I don't think they'll go down that road again for quite some time (if ever).

And about trigger passing, my opinion is that it will only work when they've fixed the vision, momentum and route running. If you have read and lead system, where receivers are able to adjust on the fly, you have a more unrealistic passing system that the one Madden currently has. If I can alter a corner route into an out or go route by leading my receiver (like you can in NFL fever), then it's just a gimmick, IMO.

Last edited by guaps; 07-18-2011 at 05:57 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »