Home

Throwing the ball away...

This is a discussion on Throwing the ball away... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Banned

jd369's Arena

OVR: 7
Throwing the ball away...

Next year there needs to be either a separate button or something in the code that will allow me to throw the ball out of the back of the endzone. there are tons of times I wanna do that but am not able to and cannot get out of the pocket to do a legal throw away so I end up losing yards cause I get sacked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Throwing the ball away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd369
Next year there needs to be either a separate button or something in the code that will allow me to throw the ball out of the back of the endzone. there are tons of times I wanna do that but am not able to and cannot get out of the pocket to do a legal throw away so I end up losing yards cause I get sacked.
Send a tall receiver to the end line in the end zone. When you throw the ball, tap UP on the left stick AND fire the pass. The ball will come out higher than normal and the receiver will have to leap for the catch OR it sails out of bounds without you taking a sack or penalty.

Of you can use the stick to throw the ball too low for a receiver to catch...

Later
Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Same applies to sideline routes or any route (safer, obviously, with sidelines since the ball will just go out of bounds). Heck, if I'm getting constantly pressured, I'll make sure to have a route like that going to the sideline so I can throw it really bad and it will go out of play instead of taking the penalty or sack.

Overthrow the would be receiver on the sideline and the ball will typically go out of bounds. I've accidentally learned the throw it into the ground thing like TNT mentions trying to get them to do comeback routes...so now I use it all the time LOL.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Banned

jd369's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Send a tall receiver to the end line in the end zone. When you throw the ball, tap UP on the left stick AND fire the pass. The ball will come out higher than normal and the receiver will have to leap for the catch OR it sails out of bounds without you taking a sack or penalty.

Of you can use the stick to throw the ball too low for a receiver to catch...

Later
I dont want to do that, you are wasting one of your receivers in that scenario just in case you are gonna get sacked, which makes the chances of a having successful play go down. then if you are pressured, you have to remember to choose that reciever and combo the stick. I want all my receivers to run their routes and if they are covered then I wanna be able to throw it out of the back of the endzone with one button push. Its time things got into the game that should be in the game so we dont have to make up BS workarounds for them.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
I dont want to do that, you are wasting one of your receivers in that scenario just in case you are gonna get sacked, which makes the chances of a having successful play go down. then if you are pressured, you have to remember to choose that reciever and combo the stick. I want all my receivers to run their routes and if they are covered then I wanna be able to throw it out of the back of the endzone with one button push. Its time things got into the game that should be in the game so we dont have to make up BS workarounds for them.
There's a problem... You don't want to use the controls to accomplish your desired task. You want a button that is useless on 65% of the field instead. Imagine this... You're on your own 35. How will a button for throwing it through the end zone help when your QB can't reach the end zone?

Also, you're not wasting the receiver on the end line because you can actually throw it to him for a score. He'd only be wasted if he were in an area where he was not a threat. If you're close enough to have a receiver in the back of the end zone, you are close enough to throw it high.

Throwing thru the back of the end zone when there are no eligible receivers in the area is still intentional grounding. Thus, you must send a receiver to the area for it not to be grounding. A 'throw away thru end zone' function wouldn't stop the intentional grounding penalty from being called.

Lastly, you don't have to 'remember' how to activate the stick/buttons if you drill them into your instinctive muscle memory. It should simply be a 'reaction' that occurs automatically without having to 'remember' anything mentally. Knowing in your brain is useless if you don't know in your fingers.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Banned

jd369's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
There's a problem... You don't want to use the controls to accomplish your desired task. You want a button that is useless on 65% of the field instead. Imagine this... You're on your own 35. How will a button for throwing it through the end zone help when your QB can't reach the end zone?

Also, you're not wasting the receiver on the end line because you can actually throw it to him for a score. He'd only be wasted if he were in an area where he was not a threat. If you're close enough to have a receiver in the back of the end zone, you are close enough to throw it high.

Throwing thru the back of the end zone when there are no eligible receivers in the area is still intentional grounding. Thus, you must send a receiver to the area for it not to be grounding. A 'throw away thru end zone' function wouldn't stop the intentional grounding penalty from being called.

Lastly, you don't have to 'remember' how to activate the stick/buttons if you drill them into your instinctive muscle memory. It should simply be a 'reaction' that occurs automatically without having to 'remember' anything mentally. Knowing in your brain is useless if you don't know in your fingers.

Later
when have you ever seen an intentional grounding call when a qb fired it out the back of the endzone? you are wasting a reciever by sending him on a route that you know isnt gonna work just so you can try to throw one out of bounds if you need to. sending a wr on a fly route from the 15 isnt a good idea. this would be something along the lines of having the throw away button switch to "back of the endzone" when you got inside the 20 or 15. it happens nearly every single nfl game at some point so I want to be able to do it myself instead of getting sacked. maybe I wasnt clear in what I explained, but I figured football fans would know that you only throw out of the back of the endzone when you are in the red zone and no one is open.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Well in fairness to TNT's suggestion, I don't think you need to adjust a receiver's route then. I presume you are in the redzone when trying to throw the ball out the back of the endzone so just leading the pass with "up" on the left stick should have the same result.

Lord knows, I do this all the time, unintentionally with Rex Grossman. lol
Old 12-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
when have you ever seen an intentional grounding call when a qb fired it out the back of the endzone? you are wasting a reciever by sending him on a route that you know isnt gonna work just so you can try to throw one out of bounds if you need to. sending a wr on a fly route from the 15 isnt a good idea. this would be something along the lines of having the throw away button switch to "back of the endzone" when you got inside the 20 or 15. it happens nearly every single nfl game at some point so I want to be able to do it myself instead of getting sacked. maybe I wasnt clear in what I explained, but I figured football fans would know that you only throw out of the back of the endzone when you are in the red zone and no one is open.
I get what you're wanting, but it doesn't make sense to have a button specified for throwing it out of the end zone when you can't use it outside the 30. It would also occupy a button that could be used for something useful all over the field.

Also, you don't have to waste a receiver. Virtually any route with a vertical stem can be used from anywhere in the back of the end zone. Posts, streaks, deep ins, deep outs, hooks, fades, etc can all be used to create a receiver on the end line without sacrificing a threat.

The only thing you need to do differently is throw it high if everyone is covered. Of course if he's open, throw it for the completion.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »