Home

What kind of franichse mode player are you?

This is a discussion on What kind of franichse mode player are you? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: What kind of franichse mode player are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I'd like to think so.

I guess I'm coming from the user standpoint that if you have moderate skill in Madden, you can get by with lesser rated players when you play the game. As an example, in M10 I was doing pretty good on the ground with a 67 rated RB. Certainly his physical skills played a part, but when you combine that with sound user skills, I might be inclined to assume that he was rated at least an 80. But when I sim (although I haven't proved this), I'd like to think that 67 overall will be accounted for, thus not allowing me to inflate his stats...if that makes sense.
Well, I disregard OVR so I don't know how anything compares in relation to that, per se, but I know that if I take, say, Josh Freeman and his back up (assume year 1 franchise), Josh Johnson. I can play the exact same way and notice a night-and-day difference in how they play. In fact, I won't be playing the same way for long because I'll be cutting back the playbook, so to speak.

Granted, I'm no star Madden player, but I do play on QB Acc 8 and can do well with Freeman (though I utterly SUCK with Alex Smith so far).

Part of that is accuracy, but I think part of it is QB AWR vs PRC of defenders.

I think this is true at other positions. There's SOMETHING about some HBs I can do well with and others that I suck with, and it's not SPD (I have success with Blount and he's down to 83 SPD in my year 7 TB franchise). So I think those other ratings have impact - it might not be AWR, at least not overtly (maybe it impacts success of moves or how often your move fakes the defender totally or you do the kinda-broke-free-but-still-slowed-down sort of animation that gives the defense time to react), but I do think these other ratings can impact, assuming sliders are well-balanced to your skill vs the CPU being able to actually threaten you (CPU sliders).
Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #18
Rookie

Calipup's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrobag

Does anyone else do this, or am I a total cheeser?
Lol I had no idea that this actually was there. I believe I had sorted by Potential before, but I thought nothing of it and thought it just randomized it. But I don't plan to use this though, maybe for my first pick of the draft, but for any rounds after the 1st I won't.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #19
Rookie

zarmstead2's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrobag
Here is my problem though, I can't help myself from cheating with the draft. I want my 1st round pick to be a good player. It is not as much fun for me to play with a C or D potential player. So I end up sorting by potential at the 1st scouting opportunity. From there I look at the positions I need the most help at, and determine if I can find a stud that fits the systems I run. I know this is cheesing, but I don't get the enjoyment out of drafting a crappy player to try and turn around an already crappy team. However, after the initial 15 guys are scouted, I don't sort by POT anymore. I just scout guys that have the size I am looking for, a good name, or "the look." That way, I can have a stud or two in the draft, but not all good players. I don't allow myself to just take the A pot at every postition throughout the draft.

Does anyone else do this, or am I a total cheeser?
You scout by potential at the draft or during the scouting proccess?
NBA: wut?

Suh is the man!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

I play all 16 regular season games. I also will take a peak at other games on the schedule each week and sometimes I will pick one (obviously that is after my scheduled franchise game) that looks like a marque match-up and play that as well.

In the post season I also play multiple games to scout and get a feel for the other teams I may face. If I get knocked out then my season is over and I sim the rest.

During the season I scout of course, do contract extensions for every team and then the off-seasonI just handle my own team for the draft, FA and rookie signings.

I am in year 3 right now if my Dolphins chise. Year one I actually made it to the AFC title game only to fall to the Steelers in a blow out. Year two we regressed and went 8-8.

We stumbled out of the gate in year three to start 1-3 but have reeled off wins in 3 out of our last 4.

By the time Madden 13 drops I will have finished 5 complete seasons which is what my average is normally with Madden.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #21
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

I tend to take the approach that I am like Jerry Jones - Owner and GM...

I prefer to pick a system I want and start from the QB and build around his abilities. I prefer to run a 4-3 Defense and in doing so I know what I am looking for in size and such for my D-Line and LBs....

After that, it just becomes a task of finding diamonds in the rough and plugging them in. I have taken advantage of the ratings editor for ALL teams as I don't think progression works very well in this game. I had Carlton Mitchell blow up in years 3 and 4 at WR and decided that he deserved to have at least B Potential, so I upped his ratings slightly in order to do this. He is now the #1 WR for the Colts with Mike Vick at QB.

I also make a lot of big trades during the draft and signings during Free Agency. I picked up Revis for $78 million for 6 years... it didn't start paying off until I moved him to Safety because he lost a step.

I also drafted a sick HB out of Syracuse after Season 1... He shared carries with Hillis in season 2 and I traded him to Arizona in the off-season... regretted that for a couple of years as I also traded Hillis and missed the playoffs in season 3.

I love making sacrifices and taking chances on players that might be too fat or too small as well. Altogether, I like to make my franchise an adventure with a story that only video games can dream up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Rookie

jethrobag's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarmstead2
You scout by potential at the draft or during the scouting proccess?
I scout by potential during the scouting process only. And only for the first set of 15 players. During the draft, I usually only look at my scouted players, and draft from those available.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
Rookie

jethrobag's Arena

OVR: 2

My struggle with starting a new franchise is that I have to have a franchise qb to build around, or else I seem to get disinterested. For example, I am currently in a Skins chise, and I have Ryan Fitzpatrick as my QB. I was going to build a run based team with a solid D, and try to win, like Baltimore has, or the 85 Bears. Problem is, over the course of actually playing the games, I just don't enjoy it that much.
I like drafting a QB early and making him the cornerstone of the franchise. For me it's just not that much fun to play with a guy that you know isn't the new face of the franchise. Maybe it's because I only play with teams that are in re-building mode, and most re-building teams start with a franchise QB.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 8

Over the years, I've done franchises where I control everything off-the-field and I've done them where I let the CPU do everything and just play with the hands that it deals me. Right now, I've got a mix of stuff. I do some and the CPU does some. Regardless, I play every game. Considering that I usually have a rotation of 6-10 games at any one time, I guess that explains why I struggle to get through more than a few seasons. Maybe I'll try simming some games to see if I still enjoy it as much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »