Home

Madden 14 to Feature Improved Footwork?

This is a discussion on Madden 14 to Feature Improved Footwork? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 22
Re: Madden 14 to Feature Improved Footwork?

PS everyone needs to 5 star vote this thread.. i sure hope the developers see this thread...this feature would do a HUGE amount to the game..the fun factor would skyrocket 10 fold if they could get this foot work in madden. This is a big reason why running the ball in NCAA and Madden has no thrill in it.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMurda
i hope they do touch up the footplanting and make it more like fifa12. but the main thing i really want them to do is fix the size of the field to player ratio. something is def off. either the field is too small in relation to players or the players cover too much ground too quik. either way something is off cuz the field seems way too small compared to real life. nba2k benefited once they adjusted it...helped court spacing immensely cuz before 2k10 i believe, the court was too small.
You are right the players cover too much ground, the field needs to be bigger in my opinion.

In addition to working on momentum, animations all together need to be more smooth and natural looking. The players look like robots most of the time. In FIFA and nhl, all animations look so natural and life like.

So my prediction for features next year, foot planting and real momentum (weight actually matters), OL/DL interaction upgrades, and upgrades to the physics engine. I think the biggest improvement to the mostly new dev team is that are focused on improving existing features. They have talked about how they have laid the ground work for Maddened for the next decade and will improve upon CC mode and the physics engine. Instead of adding gimmicks :cough: heisman mode :cough:
Old 06-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #19
Banned

js3512's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMurda
i hope they do touch up the footplanting and make it more like fifa12. but the main thing i really want them to do is fix the size of the field to player ratio. something is def off. either the field is too small in relation to players or the players cover too much ground too quik. either way something is off cuz the field seems way too small compared to real life. nba2k benefited once they adjusted it...helped court spacing immensely cuz before 2k10 i believe, the court was too small.
You hit the nail on the head with this one. I've been saying this for the longest time. A soccer field is pretty close to the same size as a football field. Now look at Fifa and how huge the field is in comparrison to the player size then compare that to Madden. It's the reason why you can't play 15 min. quarters and get realistic scores without a ridiculously beefed up defense. If I had to guess I'd say the field needs to be about 25% larger than it is now (or players 25% smaller - same effect). Madden with the new infinity engine, proper footplanting and a correct player/field ratio would make it the best football game ever hands down.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

what is wrong with the foot planting we have in madden 10. we dont have to wait till next year or 2015 to get something as simple as foot plant. i dont care if the foot planting doesn't look right they should just take out the stupid arcade super human agility.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I'm going to go one further. I don't want them to simply add footplanting. It's about time for us to get gameplay improvements to ALL FACETS of gameplay, not just one piece of it which is what we seem to get year after year. This year they have added the basics of the physics engine, made changes to passing (jury is still out on that one). However, that still leaves player movement (should have always been number one IMHO), penalties (non existing penalties need to be added along with better implementation of what's there), real time injuries (APF had this, why doesn't Madden?), a real challenge system that allows you to pick what you want to challenge (2k5 had this one, come on now - years?), Refs throwing flags (once again, 2k5 had this too), interactive sidelines (ala APF), line stunts/twists (once again like APF), OL/DL interaction that mimcs real life instead of patty cake, better ball physics.

I expect all of those items to be addressed in one dev cycle. Other games have done at least those and more. While individually each one of those is not monumental, without them the game cannot be recognized as a legitimate simulation, nor a contender amongst today's other sports games or games of the past. I desperately want to put the comparisons to older games to rest. Madden and old football games should not even be in the same discussion. We should be comparing it to the future and to the other sports genre games.

If any of the elements above are missing from next year's game, then that is shameful. It's already bad enough that we aren't there yet and we are in the 7th iteration of this generation of football games.
Um, yeah, at this rate none of that stuff is getting in.

Improved footwork has to be priority #1 in my opinion. The running game in EA football is dreadful because it's all straight ahead with zig zagging back and forth. Even the right stick juke is just a weak little hop to the side.

Come on Tiburon, give me this:

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
Um, yeah, at this rate none of that stuff is getting in.

Improved footwork has to be priority #1 in my opinion. The running game in EA football is dreadful because it's all straight ahead with zig zagging back and forth. Even the right stick juke is just a weak little hop to the side.

Come on Tiburon, give me this:

He tap danced on that dude.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
You are right the players cover too much ground, the field needs to be bigger in my opinion.

In addition to working on momentum, animations all together need to be more smooth and natural looking. The players look like robots most of the time. In FIFA and nhl, all animations look so natural and life like.

So my prediction for features next year, foot planting and real momentum (weight actually matters), OL/DL interaction upgrades, and upgrades to the physics engine. I think the biggest improvement to the mostly new dev team is that are focused on improving existing features. They have talked about how they have laid the ground work for Maddened for the next decade and will improve upon CC mode and the physics engine. Instead of adding gimmicks :cough: heisman mode :cough:
This post really got me wondering so I checked out the field dimensions for a NFL football and International soccer field. They are similar in length at 120 yards but the soccer field is wider ranging from 70-80 yards opposed to 53 1/2 yards for the football field.

Still, I think the players might be scaled too big in Madden opposed to FIFA. It's hard to figure out though because the Madden players appear scaled right in this picture.

I don't know what it is, maybe everything is scale but the unrealistic player movement allows them to cover way too much ground, creating the impression that the scaling is off.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
You know why I'm here...

jWILL253's Arena

OVR: 25

Well, if the NHL feature timeline is anything to go by... I wouldn't expect an upgrade to footplanting and locomotion until Madden 15. I'm actually expecting them to implement the Infinity Engine in OL/DL interactions and WR/DB jostling before footplanting gets added...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »