Home

Why do people hate CCM Progression?

This is a discussion on Why do people hate CCM Progression? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Pro

Dwaresacksqb's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Why do people hate CCM Progression?

Remember how much fun the mini games were? They could implement that feature as a practice option to get that UDFA or whoever you choose more xp. They could build on this xp system a lot with Madden 14. I understand how vastly different it is from what we have grown accustomed to. And with change will come some angry fans. But i think the future is actually starting to look bright for the Madden series.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0

I like the xp, but it makes the way I play much more difficult. I like to replace my entire team with rookies and built the team up from 0-16. However, since the new xp goals are largely based on WINNING things, it is going to be very difficult to improve my pathetic team.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
Pro

Dwaresacksqb's Arena

I see what wha you mean a little bit more now. And as much as I would love to see that feature to turn on or off edit players. I think if you give an alcoholic to much to drink he'll get sick. Give a dope fein to much drugs and they'll overdose. Give a child to much candy and their teeth will go bad..... Give a Gamer to much control and they will get bored.

Sure some people could handle that control but not the majority. People would turn the edit players on... Not care at all about weekly goals and xp. Strip the game of it's depth. And unknowingly, ruin their overall gaming experience. I hope I kind of cleared up why I'm against the option all together. I'm sorry because it would be really cool and convenient for guys like you.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6

i like it because i can progress my players how i want to. my only issue is taking unc malcontent donte -paige-moss as a free agent with the panthers and trying to make him my little project. at de, even as backup getting reps there just aren't enough ways to earn xp to make him a breakthrough success story. well at least not easily but i guess that's kind of the point.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
Pro

Dwaresacksqb's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelphreak
i like it because i can progress my players how i want to. my only issue is taking unc malcontent donte -paige-moss as a free agent with the panthers and trying to make him my little project. at de, even as backup getting reps there just aren't enough ways to earn xp to make him a breakthrough success story. well at least not easily but i guess that's kind of the point.
Yeah that's an issue I have as well. But it's still the first year of deveopnent. I think if they added mini games. Like we had in some of the old Maddens. We could single out those backups we like and want to see get improved and play a mini game with him. They were SO much fun. And I would always try to calling myself to beat my highest score. Plus they wear shorts and pads with practice uni's. Anyway I think that would be a fun and realistic way to not only fix that issue a lot of people have but to actually improve the overall gameplaying experience. Those games weren't boring at all

Ps: sometimes I would just play mini games with like my brother and friends to see who could get the higher score in all the drills.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 4

CJ Spiller won the league MVP and average 7 YPC on his way to a 2,000 yard season for me. I think I had 40 runs over 20 yards with him, and he added in an additional 800 yards receiving.

He is now an 85 OVR and that is only because I scheme for a speed back.

Vince Young threw for 40 TDs and 5,000 yards. I went 13-3. He has not improved. I guess I could spend his 10000 points on improving his consistency trait....
Old 09-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaresacksqb
I see what wha you mean a little bit more now. And as much as I would love to see that feature to turn on or off edit players. I think if you give an alcoholic to much to drink he'll get sick. Give a dope fein to much drugs and they'll overdose. Give a child to much candy and their teeth will go bad..... Give a Gamer to much control and they will get bored.

Sure some people could handle that control but not the majority. People would turn the edit players on... Not care at all about weekly goals and xp. Strip the game of it's depth. And unknowingly, ruin their overall gaming experience. I hope I kind of cleared up why I'm against the option all together. I'm sorry because it would be really cool and convenient for guys like you.
That's their problem and a poor excuse to not have editing in a game. I understand why you wouldn't use it, and I get it. I just don't think it's a good enough reason to limit control. The notion that more user control weakens the experience is simply false.

In fact, the popularity of both the NBA 2K series and The Show series would both take hits, as they suffer from some of the same issues with out-of-the-box ratings and roster AI that other games do. The difference is how much the user can correct for such things. The ability to edit doesn't strip away depth, it enhances it (along with replay-value, for that matter).

I'm fine if they make it a toggled option for gamers like you. Just don't limit it for the rest of us because of a group of people who would "break" the game. Most of us who want it so badly, are trying to do just the opposite.

As for the XP, I don't have an issue with it conceptually, but it was implemented poorly and needs provisions to account for depth anddevelopmental guys, etc. Also, as someone mentioned, an option to simulate practices while still getting some XP (perhaps half) would be nice.

I also think XP for traits is poorly done. They are so expensive and detract from other development. I think traits should develop on a separate system (perhaps awarded based on performance-i.e "clutch" should develop out of performance in qualifying situations, and not from 100,000 XP or whatever). IMO it''s an overall deep concept with a shallow implementation.

I was largely in favor of such a system when it was announced, but I don't feel it improved progression as a whole, other than allowing users to make it more targeted (which ironically they could manually accomplish in 12 anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingteeth
Okay, but that doesn't help me immediately improve the breakout player on each team at that-very-instant that I want them there. It's those specific and immediate instances that not only change the tide of a game but even whole seasons - look what Victor Cruz did for NYG last year. That's what I'm getting at, and sorry for not making that clearer. I want that editing ability back so that I can make it reflect in my offline league just like the real NFL. I don't care what team it's for, either. If it helps a team I hate...don't care...want them immediately reflected accordingly so that they challenge the whole league as they should.
While I agree about the editing, it's important to distinguish. XP didn't replace editing, it replaced the old progression system and is important for different reasons. In other words, while editing should be included for the very reasons you mention, a functional system needs to be in place for progression to occur "naturally" (in an in-game context).

Editing should definitely be added back (I still remember Arian Foster's breakout year and not being able to change his 60 or 70 something rating in-franchise-drove me nuts), but that's a separate issue from how XP should function IMO.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #24
Rookie

xx19kilosoldier's Arena

OVR: 4

EA Tiburon could never get progression "right" in previous versions of the game. Their answer was to turn it completely over to the player and this RPG like XP system. Instead of getting algorithms correct on their end I feel they gave up and went to a system like this.

Now to be fair, a lot of sports games have suffered from realistic and dynamic player progression in their respective franchise modes. That fact doesnt make this system good by any stretch in my opinion.

It just feels way too arcade like and "gamey" for my tastes. It should feel like a natural extension of what is going on in the franchise instead of really a complete side game.
Missouri Tigers
St. Louis Rams
Seattle Sounders Liverpool FC

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »