Home

Shedding Blocks

This is a discussion on Shedding Blocks within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

OVR: 2
Shedding Blocks

In the manual it so helpfully simply states L-stick + R-stick.

For people who haven't played Madden since... PS2 days, can someone explain how to shed blocks effectively? Or, at least, the strategy that has worked best for you?

I seem to get stuck on a blocker, even when I'm trying to go in the opposite direction (which I think is maybe a holding penalty). Do I need to push one direction with the L-stick and another with the R-stick? Is there something in the game I should be watching for to give me clues as to which direction to push?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
Re: Shedding Blocks

Left stick moves your player. Right stick is all his swim moves and stuff.

As far as getting stuck on blocks......yeah, sometimes it feels like it. Other times I can take a Julius Peppers or Clay Matthews and make a quick move and getting in for the sack.

I just attribute it to the lineman. Sometimes they block me well, other times I can beat 'em.

Realistic to me.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 10

Been wondering this as well. My mlb has 86 block shed but i can never get off a block. Its like super glu blocking, on the occasion i do get off a block the oline or fb latches right back on.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

I'm not so much questioning realism, but asking for strategy, if there's any to give.

I get that left-stick moves and right-stick swims, but I'm wondering if there's a method to it.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpidbeaver
I'm not so much questioning realism, but asking for strategy, if there's any to give.

I get that left-stick moves and right-stick swims, but I'm wondering if there's a method to it.

Wasn't being sarcastic. If it came off that way my bad.

I just keep hitting the stick to the side I'm trying to get around. Sometimes it works and I slip the block. Other times.....I can't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Pro

torpidbeaver's Arena

No worries, man. I didn't pick up any sarcasm; just wanted to explain what I wanted to know.

Thanks, though. I've tried playing as Suh, and that seems to help a little. Still haven't landed a sack though.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Banned

MikeLove's Arena

OVR: 0

yeah playing MUT i'm not really able to ever get off any blocks with the DL when the games move to the higher difficulties =(

I might go check out the traits of my d linemen in the manage roster screen, but that would take like 5 minutes =P That might help I know they have some stuff about the blockshedding moves they do. But maybe it only says what moves they can execute and not if theyre good at them? I dunno
Old 09-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Just some dude...

BobbyColtrane's Arena

OVR: 15

Moving the R Stick left and right are the finesse moves - spins and swim moves. Moving the R Stick down is the power move (bull rush). Some pass rushers can do both but a lot can only do one or the other, so know your personnel and react accordingly.

Also, when rushing the passer, always pay attention to the way the blocker is set up. You aren't going to have much success spinning into his lead foot.

The last thing you need to watch is where his help is. Often times your blocker will have help to one side or the other. What good is it to spin and get free when you just run into a second blocker? Always make your move away from his help.

Pass rushing is a skill and you can learn how to do it and get good at it. I almost always play on the defensive line and it can get to where it's a lot of fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »